Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#108822 - 10/16/07 01:59 PM Hunter Finds Skeletal Remains...
OutdoorDad Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
Hunter Finds Skeletal Remains In Linn County
LYONS, Ore. -- A deer hunter discovered a person's skeletal remains Saturday in a remote area of Linn County.

Linn County detectives and members of the Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue team searched for evidence near McCully Mountain Road on Saturday afternoon.

Detectives believe the person died as a result of homicidal violence, but they wouldn't release the suspected cause of death Monday.

The victim appeared to be a white man who has been dead for between two and 12 months, deputies said....
the rest of the story

only a skeleton left after just a couple months! I thought it would take a bit longer... must be some hungery little critters out there cleaning up.

#108827 - 10/16/07 02:57 PM Re: Hunter Finds Skeletal Remains... [Re: OutdoorDad]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Yeah. I found on on the side of I-5 once, murder victim, he had been there for approx five months. Pretty skinny by then, but not what I would call a skeleton. Might just be headline gathering wording on the part of the reporter...

#108853 - 10/16/07 06:20 PM Re: Hunter Finds Skeletal Remains... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If the person did indeed die of homicidal violence, like a gunshot or shotgun blast to the chest, that would be an "open" invitation to every vulture, crow, mouse, rat, opossum, raccoon, coyote, blowfly, etc in the neighborhood. And the area has a river running through it, which increases the amount of wildlife.

Also, it's a relatively moist area, which seems to contribute to decomposition, as opposed to the mummified remains found under dry conditions.

Sue

#108886 - 10/17/07 01:57 AM Re: Hunter Finds Skeletal Remains... [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Maybe that is why my guy looked so good. Three .32's (what a goofy caliber to off someone with) to the head, dumped along I-5 in central CA in Aug (average daily temp 100+++, very low humidity). Lots of coyotes in the area, I was really surprised that all of his parts were still there...

#108901 - 10/17/07 03:17 AM Re: Hunter Finds Skeletal Remains... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
At the right time of year around here (central TX), it wouldn't take long. This summer, a large dog was hit down the road from my house. Nothing ugly, just dead on the side of the road. Within a week and a half it was clean bones. Between the flies and the dermistid beetles, it was completely stripped clean. Morbid but facinating; the day after it was hit it looked like it had been shaved, there was a halo of hair outlining its body. The beetles had cut the hair. I wasn't until it was a skeleton, looking almost like a museum display, that larger animals messed with it and scattered the bones.

A few years ago, near the same spot, a feral pig lay pretty much complete for almost two months during the winter. Just kind of got waxy looking and dehydrated.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.