Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#106636 - 09/22/07 07:48 AM Another lost hiker gets lucky
LED Offline
Veteran

Apparently went on a dayhike last weekend near Diablo, Washington. Found yesterday by S&R. No way to treat water? Either the news reports are inaccurate or she was delirious not to drink water becasue she couldn't treat it. Strange.

Quote:

Ranger Kinsey Shilling said Wingfield is dehydrated and exhausted but not injured.

Searchers in the copter saw her standing near the bottom of a waterfall, crews at the command post told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News. They said ground crews are on their way to reach her.

On Thursday, searchers found two notes, including one written on her dental insurance card that said "No food, H2O or map. Please help. Headed downstream. EMERGENCY."

Another scribbled note indicated she had nothing but berries to eat and no way to treat water. Wingfield's grocery store discount card was also found.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/14176252/detail.html

#106643 - 09/22/07 12:20 PM Re: Another lost hiker gets lucky [Re: LED]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
"Her overnight pack was in the front seat."

I take my small BOB with PSK and FAK into parks that I can walk out of in less than a day if I head straight in just about any direction. It continues to baffle me why people hiking in remote areas don't do the same thing at the very least.

I google mapped Diablo and Whatcom County, Washington and a good chunk of it is frackin' real deal wilderness. And while I don't know specifically where the hiker was lost, it appears that there are great stretches where there aren't any roads for 15 to 20 miles at a minimum in many directions.

In any case, I'm very happy that they found her alive.

#106646 - 09/22/07 01:08 PM Re: Another lost hiker gets lucky [Re: Nicodemus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
God's Country -- she came very close to finding out how true that is. The article says
Quote:
According to searchers, Wingfield was equipped only for a day hike when she disappeared last weekend near Diablo, Wash.

Near the search command post at a trailhead, Wingfield's car still sat on Friday where she left it last weekend. Her overnight pack was in the front seat.
What's an overnight pack? Did she have two packs? -- hiking/day pack vs camping/overnight pack? I suspect she started last weekend with enough stuff for a day but by Tuesday she was running on empty and by Thursday she was starting to lose it.

Still though, my day pack is a Camelback Rim Runner with an MSR mini-works and nalgene bottle for making water++. With the quality/quantity water she had to start with that would have kept her drinking 'til next year. Without the filter, I'd've drank straight from the river/stream. Did it when I was a kid back in the '60's with no ill effects at all. Food I'd've run out of, but not water. Where was her map? Compass? Obviously no GPS.

Fortunately for her this will be a great learning experience -- that or she'll never step foot in the woods again. Her call. . .

#106648 - 09/22/07 01:50 PM Re: Another lost hiker gets lucky [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Here's an earlier article from the Seattle Times that has a bit of background. Somebody missed her and gave them a starting point -- wrong point, 37 miles from Darrington to Diablo as the crow flies; at least they started looking north of Seattle.

#106653 - 09/22/07 03:28 PM Re: Another lost hiker gets lucky [Re: Russ]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
Evidently she made two fundamental mistakes. 1) changed her itinerary without notifying anyone; 2) ill prepared for the potential of getting lost.

At least she didn't loose her hand . . .

Hope she's learned something.

#106654 - 09/22/07 03:42 PM Re: Another lost hiker gets lucky [Re: LED]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Hmmm… carries her dental insurance card and a grocery store discount card, but doesn’t carry anything that will help her make a fire (a lighter perhaps, let alone a sparker) which would 1) keep her warm, 2) cook any found food, and 3) treat water. They’re called the “10 essentials” for a reason.

It’s great that she was found alive, but it is so much more rewarding when they find people who are also prepared to help themselves.

#106766 - 09/24/07 12:47 AM Re: Another lost hiker gets lucky [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
An article in the Seattle Times said searchers found her water bottle. She left it along the trail.

I guess she's watched too many movies where the characters empty their canteens, then toss them away. Apparently it never occurs to some people that that may need a container when they find water up the trail.

But I would really laugh if she had water purifier tablets with her, but had tossed her water bottle!

Sue

#106772 - 09/24/07 01:30 AM Re: Another lost hiker gets lucky [Re: LED]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
For the first 24 hours, I can't blame her for not drinking unsure water- I probably wouldn't. After that....

All I can think of is that the "impure water" drum has been beaten so hard and so loud that people who don't know are going to err on the side of caution. It is like the little kids who get lost then hide from searchers becuase they've been programmed all their life to be afraid of strangers.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#106792 - 09/24/07 06:45 AM Re: Another lost hiker gets lucky [Re: ironraven]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Yeah - I'd rather HAVE water, and a case of Gardia cysts, than die do lack of water...
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#106815 - 09/24/07 02:19 PM Re: Another lost hiker gets lucky [Re: LED]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Quote:
Another scribbled note indicated she had nothing but berries to eat and no way to treat water.

So, she was willing to eat wild berries but not drink the water? I've seriously got to question her judgement on this one. I personally have got to be pretty darn certain about berries in the woods before I pop them in my mouth, wild rasberries, strawberries and dew berries are about it. Choke cherries too, but they're way too tart for me unless I'm making jam.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 529 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.