Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#106076 - 09/18/07 12:48 AM work kit
DFW Offline
Journeyman

This started as a response to the "three-day" question, but got too lengthy, and eventually veered into a new topic.

My introduction to Emergency Preparedness came many years ago, when I woke up in the middle of the night to no power, no water (electric pump), no alternate heat source, and a blizzard howling outside. No chance to bug out - there were 13 foot drifts over the road between us and town. The camping equipment we had was our lifesaver.

I live in a different area now, and the biggest threats here are tornadoes in the spring, and ice storms in the winter. There have been several ice storms while I have been here, each worse than the last, and city-wide, multiple-day power outages were the norm in each. In the last one I was only without power 1 day, but many I knew were down for a week, and in outlying areas, 2 weeks - in 20 degree weather. There were no stores or resturants open, no way to pump gas, if you could get to the station....we were really on our own.

Since my blizzard experience, I have always kept some camping equipment, water, ready to eat food, etc, and supplemented my stash according to tips from here and elsewhere. I am better prepared at home for an emergency than the average person, and now I am also working on a car kit and decent first aid kit.

My biggest weakness and I think the toughest to prepare for, is a work kit. I work in a facility in which we will probably be expected to stay put for the duration of an emergency, and not go home. How do you all prepare your work kit? Is it really necessary to carry a BOB every day, or are there good ideas for supplies to go in the back of a desk drawer? My work could provide shelter, maybe water (depending on the emergency) food for a couple of days, and some areas with generator-produced light. Heat, I'm not sure about.

#106079 - 09/18/07 01:07 AM Re: work kit [Re: DFW]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
A car kit works as a work kit if you can still get outside to the car, assuming you are in an office. If you road it, as I used to often, then you put a car kit in the work vehicle. The beauty of this is that there's plenty of room for you to work with, even if all you have is a cubicle. A cheap duffle bag full of the requisite clothing and gear for sheltering in place even if the power's out, a drawer full of food and first aid supplies, and a flat of water bottles is practical (I had a similar setup in my cubicle in New York).

The point is, use what you have, and invest where it will make the most difference for the dollars you can afford to spend.

#106089 - 09/18/07 02:07 AM Re: work kit [Re: benjammin]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Not to say anything bad about where you work, but I wouldn't depend on them(just in case) Food in the drawers, water under the desk is all good. But a BOB or Enhanced EDC should always be with you. I mean it all depends on what emergency takes place, if the power is out you'll be glad you had the flashlight you put in your BOB, or if the heat is out the Heatsheat you carry will certainly come in handy. See where I'm going, a personal toiletry kit also, clothes etc. Like Benjammin said, even if its just a duffle bag as long as you have the basics covered. I own a janitorial business, I carry a Camelbak BFM in my truck with everything I need but I also carry extra water, food, blankets etc. My truck is never more than 1 min away from me at any given time so I don't carry the BFM with me. I do carry some basics with me at all times. I mean you could go as far as to carry dust masks, gloves and goggles in the event of the roof coming down in a snow storm or ice storm and you have to find your way out. Alot of things to consider when your in a building 8 hrs a day.

Hope my 2 cents helped just a little.

Shadow out !!!

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#106092 - 09/18/07 02:13 AM Re: work kit [Re: DFW]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!

Since we always have camping gear in our vehicle, and assuming that your work place does indeed provide water, power, sewer (a very important thing if you have a lot of co-workers), and munchies, our sleeping pad, bag, headlamp, solar/battery/crank radio, and a book or two would really make the time go easier...

#106109 - 09/18/07 03:57 AM Re: work kit [Re: DFW]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
My article office cashe may be of some use.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#106113 - 09/18/07 04:19 AM Re: work kit [Re: Raspy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You might ask your company what provisions it has made for a disaster. Try to get some specific answers. If they even have a plan, that is.

If they don't have any plans, maybe you could offer some suggestions.

Anyway, knowing what they have/would do would help you to choose what you need. And help prevent others from wanting what you do have.

Sue

#106114 - 09/18/07 04:23 AM Re: work kit [Re: DFW]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
There is a simple way to find out what the plan is- ask. It should be as available as MSDS sheets. If they say it is none of your business, I'd think about job hunting.

Without knowing more about this facility and why you might be expected to "stay for the duration", it is hard to give suggestions. Without more data, the car kit. Do you have a cube? A real office? A locker? Is it a school? Hospital? Prison? (Those three must be able to provide heat, water and food.) Power plant? Water Plant?

Personally, I'd need an awfully compelling reason to stay more than 36 hours for anything.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#106124 - 09/18/07 12:28 PM Re: work kit [Re: Shadow_oo00]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Provision in place for what you can, whether work, home, or in transit, but always keep your options open.

#106127 - 09/18/07 12:53 PM Re: work kit [Re: DFW]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: DFW
. . .I work in a facility in which we will probably be expected to stay put for the duration of an emergency, and not go home. How do you all prepare your work kit? . . .
Sounds like essential services, government or utilities. . . whatever.

Good advice from the guys above. (I read in flat mode so everybody's "above".) I agree with the other suggestions. You need to nail down how much your employer will provide and go from there. First thing will probably be a change of clothes, underwear, socks and maybe outerwear consistent with blizzard conditions -- duffel bag. If you drive to work, part of your car kit could be part of your office kit. That duffel bag is part of my truck kit -- my stranded in the mountains kit. I also have MRE's, water, sleeping bag, pad, tent and blankets as part of the kit. My walking kit (BOB) is also in the back of the truck to supplement.

If you really think they'll expect you to stay at work for extended periods, then they must be going to make arrangements for food. Does your employer have a cafeteria that will stay open during a blizzard/power outage; otherwise, how do you think they'll feed you? How much food do they stock? Pizza Hut and Dominoes probably won't be open.

Once you get a handle on your employer's contribution you'll have a much better idea of how much you need to backfill. If it appears that they haven't given it much thought, you might also volunteer to assist in that management role. Take on the job and tell them what they need and make arrangements for employees to be able to store supplies on-site -- storage lockers would be a good start.

As for me, my employer will provide my office and that's it. I can't store stuff there since there are way too many others through the spaces, nothing would be secure. Hence, my truck kit doubles as my office kit. I could be very comfortable camping out on carpet.

I remember when I was at the Pentagon they made a determination of essential vs non-essential personnel to cut back on support requirements to what was needed for essential folks. My boss made the decision that no one in our office was essential; when situations arose, we all went home and turned off the lights. Determining who in your office is essential during an emergency would be a good thing. Do all the secretaries really need to stay for the duration? Less $$over-time stress on the company budget and support requirements may be reduced. $.02

#106189 - 09/18/07 11:56 PM Re: work kit [Re: Russ]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for all the good ideas - toiletries!! The extra clothes, blanket, food and water stash could go in a bag under my desk, and there will always be the car kit, if I can get to it.

I work in a hospital - but I am in a cube-like space away from the direct client-care areas. In an emergency, it would be likely that staff living in outlying areas could not get there - and there will always be the ones that "freak" and leave. It would be a case of "all hands on deck" and I would be put to work doing anything from kitchen duty (yes, there is a cafeteria) to housekeeping, to whatever needed doing.

We have participated in city-wide disaster drills. Although my facility is not acute care, it is closest to the airport and has been designated the first-response triage location. The emergency plans I am familiar with have - understandably - more to do with caring for clients than staff.

Thanks again, and if in an emergency I find myself sacked out on the floor for a quick nap, or wanting to brush my teeth after too many hours...I'll be glad you all made the suggestions you did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 549 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.