Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#106106 - 09/18/07 03:48 AM Car Kits for Christmas Gifts
CBTENGR Offline

As the holiday season is approaching even faster as the retail companies tell us...Does anyone know of a good car kit that can be easily modified? I have a lot of family that have young children so I would like to purchase car kits as Christmas presents. I am looking for a good car kit (cables, tow rope, mini tool kit, flares, etc.). I would add the extras.

#106133 - 09/18/07 02:20 PM Re: Car Kits for Christmas Gifts [Re: CBTENGR]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Not sure just how detailed a kit your looking for, WalMart and Target both sell car kits somewhere around $20.00. Heres a site with a lot of different size kits and they offer volume discount pricing.
http://www.safetykitsplus.com/?gclid=CKbgofWkzY4CFRqWGgodCm-pBA

http://www.survival-supply.com/emergencycarkits-c-95.html?gclid=CJbekLmmzY4CFSasGgod20OVBQ

Both sites seem to have kits in a wide price range.I made my own but if your planning on giving them as gifts then the volume pricing might help.

Hope this helps.

Shadow out !!!

PS: The second site has a kit listed under promotional called Safe-T-Tire which would be suited for younger people.Actually there are quite a few under promotional that would be nice Xmas gifts.
They also offer kits with Annual Roadside Assistance Program - Upto 3 Service Calls! Towing, Jump Start, Tire Change, Fluid Delivery and Lockout Assistance!

Edited by Shadow_oo00 (09/18/07 02:26 PM)

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#106137 - 09/18/07 02:25 PM Re: Car Kits for Christmas Gifts [Re: CBTENGR]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I think car kits, with updgrades, are an excellent gift idea.

The pre-assembled kits I've seen are a mixed bag, quality-wise. Some components are okay, others are not up to snuff. But I'm sure there are deluxe versions that are decent.

If cost is an issue, you can probably source the components and assemble them for less than the cost of a commercial kit.

I find it more satisfying to buy or make the individual components and assemble the kits myself. I think of it as a handmade gift that shows more "caring" than just whipping out the ol' Visa. But that's me.

#106146 - 09/18/07 03:55 PM Re: Car Kits for Christmas Gifts [Re: dougwalkabout]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I generally build my own.
can post a contents list if you are interested.

teacher

#106174 - 09/18/07 07:31 PM Re: Car Kits for Christmas Gifts [Re: teacher]
Xterior Offline

I wonder how usefull the air compressor is.

#106180 - 09/18/07 08:49 PM Re: Car Kits for Christmas Gifts [Re: Xterior]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Personally I think a small air compressor is a pretty good addition to any car kit. Off the top of my head, I can think of several uses for a compressor in a passenger car:

You go to change a tire just to find out your spare has deflated over time (I've seen this happen on a few occasions) the air compressor can re-inflate the spare and your good to go.

If you don't have a spare, or you cann't remove it from its carrier, you can inflate your flat tire and limp to a service station. I saw this happen on a truck once, the owner had installed a tow hitch that interfered with the tire carrier making it impossible to remove the spare tire.

In low traction situations like snow or mud it can be very adventageous to air down your tires for added traction. Of course you wouldn't want to drive like that on dry pavement, so you'd use the compressor to air your tires back up. I do this all the time when I go Jeep'n, and I've even done it on a few of my friends's cars, and it works great.

Once I was traveling through the snow with my friend in his rear wheel drive volvo station wagon. The back was pretty loaded down, so when we went to put the tire chains on, we didn't have enough room between the fender and the tire to fit our hands to install the chains. luckily he had a small compressor with him, so we deflated his tires, installed the chains, and then partially re-inflated his tires. Worked like a charm.

#106190 - 09/18/07 11:58 PM Re: Car Kits for Christmas Gifts [Re: Rio]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

Teacher -

Could we get that list of contents? Someone always has something I have forgotten on their list.

#106222 - 09/19/07 02:52 AM Re: Car Kits for Christmas Gifts [Re: teacher]
CBTENGR Offline

Yes that would be great. It might helpful if you could include where to purchase any items that might not be found at the local store. Thanks.

#106234 - 09/19/07 03:36 AM Re: Car Kits for Christmas Gifts [Re: Rio]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Ditto what Rio said about low traction situations. Most "all-season" tires are in fact 3-season tires. But drop the tire pressure to about 17 lbs, and drive slower, and you have a lot of extra 'grab'. Did this a lot when I was younger and poorer. Now that I'm a bit older and a bit less poor, I buy first-class ice/snow tires on separate rims; worth every penny, never looked back. But then there's the rental car scenario, in that sudden ice storm, and if you wish to stay alive ...

I often tuck a 12VDC compressor into a vehicle on a road trip. Especially older, more temperamental vehicles. Inflates tires, spares, and air mattresses (with electrical tape and a Bic pen adapter). When I forget to pack the compressor, I feel a bit naked; you can't improvise an item like this.

That said, with my everyday commute vehicles, I have one of those "inflate and seal" cans in the trunk. When you're half an hour from home, and wearing dress duds from a meeting, that $5 can of goo seems like the easy choice.

#106439 - 09/20/07 04:23 PM Re: Car Kits for Christmas Gifts [Re: dougwalkabout]
Xterior Offline

thanks I see the use of such a compressor. How is the quality of such small devices ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 567 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.