Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#101428 - 08/03/07 02:29 AM When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB?
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

The recent introduction of the "TracMe Personal Locator Beacon" is causing confusion among consumers. If you are thinking of buying one to serve as your distress beacon...DON'T!

TracMe is NOT a 406 MHz Personal Locator Beacon.

TracMe is not a distress beacon at all. TracMe does not notify authorities you are in distress or provide location information.

TracMe is not suitable for use on backcountry adventures, in aviation or boating or for similar situations where distress alerting may be critical.

Doug Ritter examines the issues involved and explains why this misleading name could end up killing people. Doug reviews the critical differences between a real 406 MHz PLB and this homing beacon. TracMe may well have a place in the effort to save lives, but read Doug's commentary and you decide if TracMe is doing the right thing by calling their device a PLB:

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=65

If you feel strongly about this issue after reading the article, you might want to let the TracMe CEO know how you feel. An email link is provided at the end of the article.

Please help spread this around the web; help to get the word out and save lives.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#101437 - 08/03/07 05:02 AM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Wow, at $150 that device seems over priced even.

Def. something everyone should be aware of!!

#101439 - 08/03/07 06:13 AM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: Todd W]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

So they are esentially saleing a less powerful frs radio that has a chip that repeats the same message over and over in hope someone will hear it, I'd rather have the radio that way I could talk to someone and tell them where I am or at least be able to describe my surroundings. Maybe someone should warn them that karma can bite them in the rear for marketing this thing.

#101440 - 08/03/07 10:21 AM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
TracMe says, “most simply, we call it that because it is – using ordinary English – an accurate and precise description…Our lawyers and trademark offices around the world have called the phrase personal locator beacon a generic description of the device.”

Yeah, the moniker "Personal Distress Beacon" would also be an accurate general description (as would "Personal Piece of Junk", IMHO). It is my belief that they are using the PLB name intentionally, and trying to take advantage of the PLB's high price to appear like a low-cost alternative.

#101443 - 08/03/07 11:39 AM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: Cyblade]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Cyblade
So they are esentially saleing a less powerful frs radio that has a chip that repeats the same message over and over in hope someone will hear it, I'd rather have the radio that way I could talk to someone and tell them where I am or at least be able to describe my surroundings.

To be fair, there are many instances where a simple homing beacon might be appropriate and far better than nothing at all. It may well be a useful tool for the right circumstances and persons.

For a comm radio to be useful, you have to know where you are, so in most cases you also need GPS or some other means of identifying your location. In many situations the description of your surroundings could be useless. "I'm in a forest with a lot of trees, can't see anything but trees." grin

You could, theoretically, outfit a scout troop or young children with this device and perhaps we'd lose less of both if they could be more easily found. However, then there's the price issue. At less than $50 it would be easier to make a case for it. But, In any case, that's a totally separate consideration from the naming issue. I'll be addressing that in the full evaluation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#101455 - 08/03/07 02:14 PM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Judging from what I read on their website and my experience with ELT's, DFing one of these on the ground with the equipment they describe would be a very slow process. And if you're close enough to be in range, you're probably standing on the person you're looking for.

Perhaps they should call it a BLB - "Body Locator Beacon"

Donate the $150 to your local SAR team to help support their air-scent search dogs. Its a much better investment. Both methods require someone to know you're missing and both need to get pretty close to you before they start working. But the dog will find you faster and you don't have to carry or activate a beacon.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#101474 - 08/03/07 04:16 PM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

To be fair, there are many instances where a simple homing beacon might be appropriate and far better than nothing at all. It may well be a useful tool for the right circumstances and persons.

However, also to be fair, don't current (actual) PLBs come with a homing beacon? Isn't that what the 121.5 MHz portion of their signal is supposed to be? It allows Search and Rescue personnel to home in on the distressed person(s) location using equipment they already have, as opposed to using separate, proprietary, and probably expensive direction finding equipment.

Certainly not trying to butt heads with you, but I don't feel like there's any obligation to "be fair" to TracMe. Their product is hokey at best, and could cost people their lives. If an FRS homing beacon were feasible and practical, I would think that it would be built into FRS radios.

Granted, I understand your point that it could prove useful in certain circumstances. However, those circumstances are outside official Search and Rescue operations in my opinion. Unfortunately, that is not the demographic that TracMe seems to be marketing to.
Quote:
From http://www.tracme.com/:
TracMe is the first, truly affordable PLB that will assist search and rescue units in locating and providing assistance in the shortest possible time.

Edited by JCWohlschlag (08/03/07 04:24 PM)
Edit Reason: Addition

#101478 - 08/03/07 04:43 PM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JCWohlschlag

However, also to be fair, don't current (actual) PLBs come with a homing beacon? Isn't that what the 121.5 MHz portion of their signal is supposed to be? It allows Search and Rescue personnel to home in on the distressed person(s) location using equipment they already have, as opposed to using separate, proprietary, and probably expensive direction finding equipment.

The difficulty with that proposition is that a real PLB is 3 to 5 times the cost and nearly 7 times the weight. You certainly aren't going to hand your 6-year old a PLB (I would hope).

I won't argue that this approach has some significant issues, which I'll review in depth in my evaluation of the device, but it may well have its place.

Certainly not trying to butt heads with you, but I don't feel like there's any obligation to "be fair" to TracMe.

You may have no such obligation. I do.

Their product is hokey at best, and could cost people their lives.

The device, per se, is not the problem. The problem is what they are calling it. That's what's more likely to cost lives.

If an FRS homing beacon were feasible and practical, I would think that it would be built into FRS radios.

I don't think that one follows the other. Lots of things that seem very obvious after the fact lie right under our noses for years, sometimes decades, before someone gets a why-didn't-I-think-of-that bright idea. In any case, if your FRS radio is working, you'd likely try calling someone. In fact,there is a movement to make Channel 1 a common distress frequency, but it's been slow to gain traction. But that's really beside the point.

Conceptually, TracMe has some merit, IMHO. Not without significant obstacles and problems, mind you. Whether they have approached it the best way is open to debate. Whether the pricing is reasonable is another question as well. Whether it will ever take off and gain enough market to make it viable is yet another question. It truly is as good an example of the chicken or egg problem you're likely to see anytime soon.

www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#101479 - 08/03/07 04:48 PM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Thank you for elaborating and responding to my comments. I look forward to your full evaluation in the future. Hopefully it'll shed much more light on TracMe's good and bad points.

#101494 - 08/03/07 07:33 PM Re: When is a Personal Locator Beacon not a PLB? [Re: JCWohlschlag]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
doug,

fyi, in your blog, at the bottom, the link to 'acr electronics' does not work - the url the link supplies has two "e"s, as in acreelectronics vs acrelectronics. fine point, but it makes a difference.

keep up your work, i appreciate the time and effort you expend.

bsmith

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 552 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.