Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#101888 - 08/07/07 05:36 PM Satellite TV - Just When You Need It Most ...
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
A year or two ago we finally made the switch from getting television off a simple rooftop antenna to using DirecTV (cable is not available in my area).

Overall the experience has been very positive, though certainly more expensive. Being in the Chicago area we can even get the local TV stations via the satellites.

One of the big unexpected things I've experienced with satellite TV is the complete loss of a signal during heavy precipitation (rain or snow).

In the past the local television stations were my primary source of foul weather information. Now they simply can't be depended on to play a part. Instead we have to rely on viewing internet radar maps and listening to local radio stations. Unfortunately, it seems that the best local radio stations during severe weather are the AM stations (WLS, WGN), but during thunderstorms those become very difficult to hear due to the static (from lighting).

My weather radios have some information, but they don't seem to offer up-to-the-minute news like the the TV stations do.

Eventually I may try to run a second coax cable from an antenna on the roof so that I can once again switch to local over-the-air broadcasts, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Maybe someday I'll be able to get real-time TV station broadcasts from the internet.

#101907 - 08/07/07 07:52 PM Re: Satellite TV - Just When You Need It Most ... [Re: KenK]
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
I feel your pain. There is nothing like watching the weather regarding a possible tornado and then losing the signal because of the weather. I have Dish Network here in Oklahoma with local channels. Works pretty well most of the time, but if the radar shows red over your location...you ain't getting no signal.

I have a small b/w tv that I use for those occassions, but as Martin has reported, after 2009, those won't work either. In my experience, most of the local weather men around here would love to be the first to report "Tornado on the ground", so there is alot of hype...almost like they want it to happen. So checking the live radar on the internet works for me.

Oh well..the industry had to do something to spur us all to buy more stuff. Hey these folks have way to many tv's and they are lasting too long..let's just change the whole signal stucture and they'll have to start over. What a crock!!

#101909 - 08/07/07 07:57 PM Re: Satellite TV - Just When You Need It Most ... [Re: KenK]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

How about a set of rabbit ears?

#101912 - 08/07/07 08:00 PM Re: Satellite TV - Just When You Need It Most ... [Re: norad45]
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
I have used that in the past. Pull out the tv, unattach the cable from the tv in input, attach the rabbit ears to the input, play around with them to get a signal...or just pull out the b/w and turn it on, while my kids continuing watching pre-recorded shows on the DVR.

I see your point, and I have a pair...just in case, but it also makes me keep the little b/w functioning at all times.

#101976 - 08/08/07 01:27 PM Re: Satellite TV - Just When You Need It Most ... [Re: KenK]
Sparkey Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: KenK
A year or two ago we finally made the switch from getting television off a simple rooftop antenna to using DirecTV (cable is not available in my area).

Overall the experience has been very positive, though certainly more expensive. Being in the Chicago area we can even get the local TV stations via the satellites.

One of the big unexpected things I've experienced with satellite TV is the complete loss of a signal during heavy precipitation (rain or snow).

In the past the local television stations were my primary source of foul weather information. Now they simply can't be depended on to play a part. Instead we have to rely on viewing internet radar maps and listening to local radio stations. Unfortunately, it seems that the best local radio stations during severe weather are the AM stations (WLS, WGN), but during thunderstorms those become very difficult to hear due to the static (from lighting).

My weather radios have some information, but they don't seem to offer up-to-the-minute news like the the TV stations do.

Eventually I may try to run a second coax cable from an antenna on the roof so that I can once again switch to local over-the-air broadcasts, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Maybe someday I'll be able to get real-time TV station broadcasts from the internet.

The best way around here IS a weather radio...in this area(TN), you hear warnings and watches as soon as they are issued from the weather service....trying to keep up by using TV or the internet may be a bust, b/c if you lose power, TV and internet are useless...unless you have a battery powered TV(until 2009). I work in the TV field, and the less people between you and the weather service, the better...because the meteorologists are using the weather service websites and weather radios to prepare their forecasts in case of a dangerous weather situation...so why not be prepared to get your info straight from the source as soon as they get it? There are many hand-crank radios out there that work well in emergency situations, and a battery powered scanner or CB works good...Ham radios are another good source...especially if you can communicate with other operators in your area for a "man on the ground" report. Even those cheap motorola walkie-talkies have access to NOAA radio..(Ch. 1, I believe). From having to be out during these "adverse weather" situations..all these sources have been handy and potentially life-saving. I hope this helps...

#101996 - 08/08/07 03:57 PM Re: Satellite TV - Just When You Need It Most ... [Re: Sparkey]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I prefer the radio/internet combination. My local TV stations over dramatize every local weather event, trying to out-scoop the competition. We had a small tornado (F-0 that lasted about 1 minute) damage the roof of a building and cause other minor damage near my home earlier this spring. The local Fox channel had a remote broadcast van camped out in the neighborhood for 3 days. Every time they'd broadcast a story from the remote, the report was preceded by their lovely graphic "Operation Storm Watch is in effect". Unreal.

Another time, I was watching a show when the weather team interrupted with a "breaking weather alert", and the weather guy was forced to stay on the air for 20 minutes while a light storm rolled through. You could sense his frustration, and at one point he even said "This is by no means severe weather", but the station forced him to stay on air, most likely so that if anything DID happen, they were the first station to bring you the info. I missed the end of the program I was watching.

I'm also a ham and listen to local storm spotter nets when they are activated.

Sorry for the rant.

#101998 - 08/08/07 04:14 PM Re: Satellite TV - Just When You Need It Most ... [Re: Hghvlocity]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Back when I still worked, we had a TV in the office, attached to a VCR, for watching training videos. No cable or antenna. I straightened two paperclips and attached one to each of the antenna screws. Kind of like mini-rabbit ears. I could pick up the three "local" stations, all about 60 miles away, one very clear, the others watchable. You might try that...

#102001 - 08/08/07 04:28 PM Re: Satellite TV - Just When You Need It Most ... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
We gave up on TV in 1999, for a lot of the reasons people posted previously. However, every few years, we watch The Olympics with a tired old little 13" TV and a home-made set of rabbit ears. It's snowy (even in the Summer Olympics) but it works for us.

As far as watching live TV via the internet....you can....sort of:

http://mediahopper.com/index.html

#102005 - 08/08/07 04:55 PM Re: Satellite TV - Just When You Need It Most ... [Re: el_diabl0]
Sparkey Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: el_diabl0
I prefer the radio/internet combination. My local TV stations over dramatize every local weather event, trying to out-scoop the competition. We had a small tornado (F-0 that lasted about 1 minute) damage the roof of a building and cause other minor damage near my home earlier this spring. The local Fox channel had a remote broadcast van camped out in the neighborhood for 3 days. Every time they'd broadcast a story from the remote, the report was preceded by their lovely graphic "Operation Storm Watch is in effect". Unreal.

Another time, I was watching a show when the weather team interrupted with a "breaking weather alert", and the weather guy was forced to stay on the air for 20 minutes while a light storm rolled through. You could sense his frustration, and at one point he even said "This is by no means severe weather", but the station forced him to stay on air, most likely so that if anything DID happen, they were the first station to bring you the info. I missed the end of the program I was watching.

What stinks is that this type of thinking leads to the "cry wolf" syndrome. If they keep breaking in for the little stuff, then no one will pay any attention when a "big one" comes through. It all stems from the frenzy to get the news on before the competition beats them to it...

#102346 - 08/11/07 07:52 PM Re: Satellite TV - Just When You Need It Most ... [Re: MartinFocazio]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
We too had difficulty during times of rain....then we decided to 'upgrade' and I had the 'guy' do the installation 'professionally'. I can't tell you HOW MUCH it improved the redception........we had lost it when it was only raining very lightly......now it takes a tremendous downpour to knock out the reception. Having it done 'professionally' can make all the difference. Our guy had some sort of an electronic meter that showed when he was 'perfectly' aligned with the satellite. He also had the equipment to make much better connections with the coaxil cable so we didn't loose the signal through them being poor connections......

I strongly recommend to everyone that they have it installed by the pros and not to DIY in this case....it seems simple but the right tools make the difference.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 637 Guests and 133 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.