Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#99891 - 07/15/07 04:52 AM The Mighty Duct Tape
CBTENGR Offline

I would like to start this topic out with a story of a SAPPER Course Instuctor I had....

This Sergeant was struck by a piece of rebar in the thigh just above the knee, and then it exited the leg. This was during combat operations in Bosnia. Operations were ongoing and no MEDEVAC was available (or medics). He had no trauma dressings because they were used earlier on another casualy, so....

He wrapped his leg with Duct Tape. It held for three days and he did not receive any serious infections.

I know most of us have used Duct tape for everyday jobs, even to fix a couple ripped hoses in cars, but I would love to hear what ingenious things can be done with this stuff. I mean things that have been tried in first aid or survival scenarios. Thanks as always.

Edited by CBTENGR (07/15/07 05:01 AM)

#99895 - 07/15/07 02:48 PM Re: The Mighty Duct Tape [Re: CBTENGR]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Working in and around the construction trades for years I can tell you that this is common practice for electricians and carpenters. I have seen people in the construction trades close serious cuts with either electrical or duct tape and go back to work with out a second thought. I can't find anything about it on the subject right now but I have seen books that say that that duct and electrical tape have an antibacterial peoperties. I don't know if it's true or not but I have seen serious injuries healed without infection in a very dirty enviroment without any other treatment.

#99897 - 07/15/07 03:18 PM Re: The Mighty Duct Tape [Re: raydarkhorse]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Duct tape works well on your heel to prevent a blister too...

#99905 - 07/15/07 07:10 PM Re: The Mighty Duct Tape [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Duct tape and electrical tape MAY be useful in such conditions, but I can't imagine anyone with any degree of sense depending on them if they didn't have to do so.

You hear about the successful (lucky) incidents, but you probably don't hear much about the unsuccessful ones, where they got a massive infection, gangrene, or their leg fell off, or something. Those people probably wouldn't be bragging that they used Duct Tape right up to the time the surgeon amputated some body part.

Contrary to what some people say, there still isn't any law against using common sense.

Sue

#99921 - 07/15/07 09:02 PM Re: The Mighty Duct Tape [Re: Susan]
porkchop Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florence SC
I'll second OBG's use of duct tape to prevent blisters.

I know first hand that duct tape seems to stick to wet/sweaty skin better or is more "waterproof" than most first aid tapes.

Had to use 2x2's and duct tape to cover a long gouge I took out of my shin while at work. The first aid tape that I had stuck to my sweaty leg for about 10 seconds. The duct tape stayed for about 6 hours.

It took about 2 weeks for the hair to grow back after I pulled the tape off.

#99922 - 07/15/07 09:15 PM Re: The Mighty Duct Tape [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have used both duct tape and electrical tape, but only when there was nothing else avaliable, and if possible I would put a "sterile" dressing on top of the owie first.

#99924 - 07/15/07 09:36 PM Re: The Mighty Duct Tape
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I also have found Duct Tape to be an excellent First Aid Tape.

About 15 years ago I had a very basic "Survival Kit" (long since discarded for a better one) that I carried on remote hunting trips. I shot a moose at dusk and with the help of my hunting partner were quartering it with a large meat saw. It was dark and I was getting tired after a strenous day, I put my left hand on the moose to steady it and cut my index finger to the bone. It was a nasty, jagged cut that 1/2 circled my finger and I had no first aid kit with me.

I used paper towels (bush TP) and the duct tape from around my survival kit to stop the bleeding. It worked so well that I continued to use this method until we got back to civilization 3 days later.

The odd part of the story is that when people see the photograph of me with the moose, the first question they ask is "what is that wrapped around your finger".

"Were all in this together", Red Green

Mike

#99959 - 07/16/07 01:54 PM Re: The Mighty Duct Tape [Re: Susan]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Susan
Duct tape and electrical tape MAY be useful in such conditions, but I can't imagine anyone with any degree of sense depending on them if they didn't have to do so.

You hear about the successful (lucky) incidents, but you probably don't hear much about the unsuccessful ones, where they got a massive infection, gangrene, or their leg fell off, or something. Those people probably wouldn't be bragging that they used Duct Tape right up to the time the surgeon amputated some body part.

Contrary to what some people say, there still isn't any law against using common sense.

Didn't they use the duct tape because there was nothing else on hand? So which is the better common sense: sit there and bleed to death due to a lack of purpose-made medical gear, or improvise w/ the duct tape and live?

You seem overly critical in this case.

#99974 - 07/16/07 03:39 PM Re: The Mighty Duct Tape [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
A long and true story on duct tape and medical applications:

A number of years ago, I had an EMS call to a home in a suburban neighborhood for a nosebleed. Upon arrival we met a man in his mid 50s holding a bloody rag to his nose. When asked how long he was experiencing this current nosebleed, he replied several hours, when asked if he could estimate his blood loss, he told us to go to his bedroom, where he had a plastic container where he had allowed his blood to collect before using the rag. I took a look and one-half the container was full, I estimated the blood loss to exceed 500cc.

We did the usually work up and asked if he had any other medical problems, to which he denied any additional medical issues. In the back of the ambulance, his pant legs had ridden up above his socks and I noticed a very foul smell and duct tape wrapped directly (no gauze) around both of his legs. I examined his legs and there was no doubt in my mind, both legs were severely infected and gangrenous. I was going to attempt to clean and dress the wounds, went to pull the duct tape away from the skin, which only caused large quantities of skin to slough off. I asked him how long ago he had used the duct tape; he said it was a month or more. I stopped, contacted the hospital, told them I believed the patient was septic, likely experiencing Toxic Shock Syndrome and it was halting any further attempts in the field to treat the wounds.

Upon arriving at the hospital, the ED Physician and Infectious Diseases Physician attended the patient, which eventually led to lengthy and complex surgery.

Duct tape is a great alternative to surgical tape, but be sure to thoroughly clean and dress the wound first.

Pete

#99997 - 07/17/07 01:31 AM Re: The Mighty Duct Tape [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I have no problem with using whatever you have handy in an emergency.

What I have the problem with is people who use duct tape TO REPLACE medical care. Like sticking it on your axe-gashed shin, then going home and leaving the tape on until you notice red streaks running up your thigh.

And don't say people aren't that dumb. Lots of people are that dumb. And some are even dumber.

Use duct tape for its intended purposes: sticking ductwork together, wrapping packages, and adhering very active small children to walls when babysitting.

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 502 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.