The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#98348 - 06/25/07 03:03 PM BOB in schools
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Hi all, been away for a while due to the time constraints of a new job. Part of the new responsibilities are as crisis manager at a 9-12 prep school. For all intents and purposes, there is no crisis plan here. Among the many directions I've been looking is for a BOB for every classroom, and eventually for admin staff as well. Does anyone have a reference for something like this?

#98349 - 06/25/07 03:33 PM Re: BOB in schools [Re: Malpaso]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I think you are in uncharted territory. I will ASSUME (we all know how that is spelled) that you are referring to a "Classroom BoB" in the event a "Lockdown" would be required.

Here are my thoughts (shelter, water, heat, food):

1) (water) At least one 20oz bottle of water per student + teacher
2) (security) The means (eg: Mechanic's wire) to secure all classroom doors and windows from the inside.
3) (entertainment) One deck of cards for every 4 students and perhaps a board game for every 4 students.
4) (hygiene) Select a location in the classroom that a temporary bathroom can be established using a couple of dark sheets to provide privacy, 13 gallon trashbags to line a trashcan to make a porta-potty and 3-4 rolls of Toilet Paper, and a large can of Lysol disinfectant.
5) (communications) A cell phone (if the teacher/students are not allowed to have them in the classroom) with ICE numbers for help (911), and any other pertinent numbers.
6) (medical) A FAK with emphasis on trauma type dressings.

This ASSUMEs a great deal; that a Lockdown probably will not last more than a 12 hr period, and is primarily some violent type of threat on campus that the friendly, local, neighborhood SWAT team is going to be responding to and cleaning up.

In regards to having a BoB for other situations, the "buddy system" would probably work best in the case that your students live on campus, I would suggest a BoB for each Dormitory room and the occupants are responsible for procuring the items and maintaining the BoB's. These would be comprised of standard 72 Hr kit items for two persons.

If the students live at home, then I would recommend handing out the standard USA Gov't preparedness info and leave those decisions (or lack thereof) to the parents,individual households.

I recommend that we work this particular problem to a realistic solution that you can apply in the real world and then we could tackle the question of a Teacher's BoB.

#98357 - 06/25/07 05:28 PM Re: BOB in schools [Re: Malpaso]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Maybe research California's schools. I bet a few districts like
San Francisco have a standard for student disaster prep.

#98381 - 06/26/07 01:22 AM Re: BOB in schools [Re: Malpaso]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Long time no hear, I was starting to think you were gone for good.

Wildman raised the key point- is this a bugging out or locking down bag? I've never seen a school that wasn't preselected as a shelter location, so bugging out might be going against the flow of traffic. If it isn't a security issue, what kind of issues are you thinking about, and since it is a prep school, if it is private, do you have dormies, townies or both?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#98394 - 06/26/07 02:53 AM Re: BOB in schools [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Keep more TP on hand. If its a real threat, you're going to have a lot of VERY nervous people in a relatively small area.

Do your doors lock from the inside? The classrooms at VA Tech didn't, apparently based on the thought that "it won't happen here".

What is mechanic's wire?

Sue

#98405 - 06/26/07 03:47 AM Re: BOB in schools [Re: Susan]
CP3PC Offline
Stranger

Since 1999, it has been California law that each public school principal write and maintain a School Safety Plan. Every site will be different. At my high school, the JROTC commander was closely involved with developing the emergency procedures. Red backpacks with the room number written on it are kept in all rooms (not just classrooms.) The backpack contains an extremely minimal first aid kit (restocked at the end of every year, and as needed at the nurse's office), a spiral bound booklet of emergency numbers and procedures, a cheap flashlight and batteries, class rosters (for classrooms), a laminated sign with the room number, extra paper and writing implements.

There are two onsite and two offsite assembly areas. There are at least two drills per year for different scenarios (fire/disaster/lockdown.) Every classroom has a landline, at least one networked computer and closed circuit television. (Administration, security, custodians and key staff also have radios.) Every student is given a planner at the beginning of the year which contains a map of school, the evacuation routes and where each classroom meets in the assembly area. (Map is also posted in each classroom.) There are also procedures for before/after school and between classes.

Hope this helps!

#98447 - 06/26/07 04:56 PM Re: BOB in schools [Re: CP3PC]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Since 1999, it has been California law that each public school principal write and maintain a School Safety Plan."

So... who enforces it?

HEY, SCHOOLS! YOU'VE GOT A TEST TODAY!!!

Sue

#98473 - 06/26/07 07:47 PM Re: BOB in schools re-thought about... [Re: CP3PC]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Your post made me think of why a school needs a BoB for the students:

For Pudget Sound area - Mt Rainier - every student would need a BoB as their plans (per my VERY limited understanding) call for walking to high ground when the volcano alarm sounds.

For Tornado Alley(s): Every student would need a BoB for a "post" tornado recovery period.

Near LNG facilities: Every student would need a BoB for a fast evacuation if an alarm sounded.

Earthquake country: Already covered better than any offerings I have!

What other reason(s) would a local area have to prepare their students for rapid Bugging Out until Parents could reunite their children.

#98649 - 06/28/07 02:11 PM Re: BOB in schools [Re: Malpaso]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Thanks everyone, good suggestions as always.

To answer some of the questions:
We are boarding and day student
I am trying to cover all bases, so both shelter in place and bug out
Classroom doors do not lock from the inside - I will need to look at that.

This is not going to be an overnight fix, unfortunately. My first chore is finding out who has what kind of experience that can be utilized in an emergency. Then I'll start collecting gear. Of course there's no budget for this so I'll need to do some shopping around as well.

#98652 - 06/28/07 02:40 PM Re: BOB in schools [Re: Malpaso]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Malpaso,

I congratulate you on trying to solve this problem with your school. My experience in education leaves me to believe that most schools stick their heads in the sand and try to convince themselves that "it won't happen here."

The school were I teach hasn't moved very far on the planning. Just worked out evacuation plans and "lock-down" procedures. They unfortunately haven't identified nor provided necessary supplies for the classroom in case of emergency.

I keep some materials locked in my file cabinet (FAK, work gloves, flashlight, utility knife, etc.) but that's all out of my own pocket.

Good luck and thanks for the thread. I've decided to update my kit of supplies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 133 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.