Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#96715 - 06/06/07 05:11 AM A survival....Hammock?
DLR Offline

Loc: Phoeniz, AZ
So,

I just got back from a trip to Mexico Scuba diving for the last few days (I know, rough life), and a dude on the street was selling these hammocks, you see. So, I talked him down from 250.00 pesos to 150.00 pesos. (Still probably payed to much but I was tired of playing the game). Now I have a hammock in my backyard strung up between my fence and the porch corner post. Spent the last few hours snoozing in it, looking at the stars and drinking cerveza. I love this thing.

After doing some searching on the forum and the internet, I found that there is some loyal followers out there that love them too. What a great idea for camping! string one of these babies up to get off the ground and away from the stinging/biting nasties of AZ. Now, finding a couple of cactus (cactii?) to string one of these up might be problematic but I'm sure I could find a couple of trees/bushes sturdy enough to hold me up.

Of course, this got me thinking. Why couldn't one make one of these things? Get a BUNCH of para-cord and start weaving away. I've made nets before and although time consuming, worked out well.

So my question is; How the hell do I make one of these?? I could use the one I have now but would rather start from scratch and not have to rip apart the one I just got. I googled the idea and got a lot of "buy our hammock" hits but not much in detailed distructions on how to make one. Some of the Hennessy ones look cool but are a big ouch to the wallet. Besides, I think I still have a roll or two of para-cord around somewhere. I like self-abuse anyway.

Any hints or ideas?

Also, I think a hammock might be a good idea for my "B" bag. The bag I grab if I know I'm going to be gone/camping/surviving/bugging-out for a while. Not in my EDC or daily BOB, but in my "If I have time to grab it" bag.

Comments, ideas?

DLR

#96719 - 06/06/07 06:17 AM Re: A survival....Hammock? [Re: DLR]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Just get on or more of these:

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=26302&M5COPY%2Ectx=7824&M5%2Ectx=7824&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Emergency%20Preparedness%2C%20Survival%20%26%20Lifesaving%20Supplies&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=hammock&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam

At that price, why hassle with making one, unless you want to learn how.

#96723 - 06/06/07 11:08 AM Re: A survival....Hammock? [Re: aloha]
Fiacharrey Offline

I think a hammock is very convenient for camping / emergency use. I keep one in my BOB. It's lighter and smaller than a tent, and much MUCH more comfy. This is the one I use:
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_1010000001265488P?vName=Fitness+%26+Sports&keyword=hammock

But now, I like the one aloha posted. I might have to get one. But here in South Louisiana, if you can carry along something that keeps the mosquitoes out, it's worth it.

When times are hard we must harden to them.

#96727 - 06/06/07 12:47 PM Re: A survival....Hammock? [Re: DLR]
mho1970 Offline
Stranger

Loc: KY
The other day on the Discovery Channel, they were showing how hammocks were made in a factory on "How it is made". These were the large wooden spreader bar at each end hammocks. It might give you a head start.

#96743 - 06/06/07 03:05 PM Re: A survival....Hammock? [Re: mho1970]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I have carried a hammock for years. The woven ones are small, but I find that they catch on my clothes and gear when I lay in them. Now I prefer one with a solid cloth. Much more comfortable and not much bigger. Mine is breathable nylon so it does not cause me to sweat where I contact it. Also usable as a large ground cloth and wind shelter.

They are great for insect country such as Florida or AZ. I carry a small piece of cloth soaked in repellent which I tie on the support cords to keep the creepies from "exploring" the new "branch" on the tree. In sun or rain I hang another line above the hammock and deploy a heatsheet or other cover above the hammock. Easy and quick.

I sometimes hang it from a single point and use it as a "chair". Very versatile item.

#96752 - 06/06/07 03:51 PM Re: A survival....Hammock? [Re: NightHiker]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
The other day on the Discovery Channel, they were showing how hammocks were made in a factory on "How it is made".

I saw the one on wich they showed how a life-raft was made. They also explaned the S.E.P.-equipment smile

BTW: Europe fire-engine beat US fire-engine on Mean-Machines, The transatlantic challenge smirk

#96757 - 06/06/07 04:11 PM Re: A survival....Hammock? [Re: JIM]
DLR Offline

Loc: Phoeniz, AZ
Thanks all for the info. So I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't like the idea of sleeping on the ground either. Trust me, I've spent many nights sleeping with ticks,chiggers and mosquitos. And the ground isn't as friendly to my getting older back.

Still want to try and make one, net style without the spreader bars. Sure I could make a solid sheet type one but like I said, I've got a bunch of para-cord.

Thanks

DLR

#96760 - 06/06/07 04:21 PM Re: A survival....Hammock? [Re: DLR]
jimtanker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fort Bragg, NC
Check out "hikinghq.net"

They are a bunch of lightweight hammock camping nuts. I'm one of them.

Go to the "home made gear" section and do a search of my name(jimtanker) and you can see the hammock that I made for almost nothing and it works great.

#96765 - 06/06/07 04:40 PM Re: A survival....Hammock? [Re: Nomad]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Nomad
They are great for insect country such as Florida or AZ. I carry a small piece of cloth soaked in repellent which I tie on the support cords to keep the creepies from "exploring" the new "branch" on the tree.

That's a great tip! I'll try that. I have used the Hennessy Ultralight, and it's awesome, but, I have had some mornings where I wake up with a coating of "friends" on the hammock that were crawling on the trees I was tied to. They don't get inside, but, especially during the gypsy moth caterpillar season, they can be, well, just disgusting sick

- Ron

#96776 - 06/06/07 07:04 PM Re: A survival....Hammock? [Re: NightHiker]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

This might help -- what you're looking for is "netting instructions." Weaving a net bag, fishing net or hammock are all easy and similar.

net making info: http://www.bertaut.com/netmaking.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 644 Guests and 165 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.