The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#96624 - 06/05/07 02:56 AM SmarTube Hydration System
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
We just got our June 2007 issue of Boy's Life and there was an article on hydration systems. A new item caught my eye: SmarTube. It is a lid and tube for a Nalgene bottle. This could solve the issues with the Camelbak's bladder leaking and cleaning. I have had the hose get old and pop off of the bottom of my bladder and drain down my backside. It would also be nice to be able to put the bottle in the dishwasher instead of trying to clean a bladder. SmarTube

#96628 - 06/05/07 03:24 AM Re: SmarTube Hydration System [Re: Craig_phx]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Kind of a civilian version of this for GI canteens...

#96632 - 06/05/07 03:49 AM Re: SmarTube Hydration System [Re: Craig_phx]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

Why is it that I don't get "hydration systems"? Didn't we used to call these "canteens"? I thought I was going high-tech when I went from Boy Scout aluminum to Nalgene.

When I want a drink, I pull my canteen off my belt and guzzle. Why have I never thought, "This is so much effort to bend my arm, I wish I had a plastic tube thingy to suckle water out of"?

What am I missing out on?

Dave

#96640 - 06/05/07 04:20 AM Re: SmarTube Hydration System [Re: bigmbogo]
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Originally Posted By: bigmbogo
Why is it that I don't get "hydration systems"? Didn't we used to call these "canteens"? I thought I was going high-tech when I went from Boy Scout aluminum to Nalgene.

When I want a drink, I pull my canteen off my belt and guzzle. Why have I never thought, "This is so much effort to bend my arm, I wish I had a plastic tube thingy to suckle water out of"?

Dave

It is just nice to be able to take a sip without having to stop, take off the pack, unzip the pack, find the bottle, drink, and put everything back.

Of course this assumes that you keep the water in your pack. If you keep water on your hip, a camelbak means that you don't have to keep water on your hip.

Just my opinion, but I like it, as long as it isn't cold enough to freeze the water in the tube. Cleaning can be a pain, though. I heard that denture cleaning tablets are supposed to be great for cleaning them, though.

#96647 - 06/05/07 04:58 AM Re: SmarTube Hydration System [Re: bigmbogo]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: bigmbogo

Dave

bigmbogo,

I have tried many methods of carrying water. A canteen on my belt pulls down on my pants. I tried a fanny pack. It had the same effect. I tried a water bottle in a pouch slung over my shoulder. I did not like it bouncing against my body and feeling like it was going to slide off my shoulder. A backpack has been best for me. Once I have worn it for a few minutes I forget I am carrying it. The tube is an added convenience. Here in Arizona you need to keep drinking. I like to hike. Some things can get annoying after a few miles in the Arizona heat; high for 6/5/07 is 106F.

#96656 - 06/05/07 12:57 PM Re: SmarTube Hydration System [Re: Craig_phx]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Nice find, Craig; thanks for posting it. Years ago Ultimate Direction sold this bottle made of very flexible plastic that had a long drinking tube & bite valve on it. I used it in the Grand Canyon and it wasn't too impressive.

#96657 - 06/05/07 01:41 PM Re: SmarTube Hydration System [Re: harrkev]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...cold enough to freeze the water in the tube..."

Being a flatlander from the hot central valley of CA, I try to avoid really cold weather, but even in warm weather I usually blow air into the tube after a drink, that puts the water back into the bladder, preventing drips. Should help with that freezing thing too...

#96669 - 06/05/07 04:00 PM Re: SmarTube Hydration System [Re: OldBaldGuy]
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

Being a flatlander from the hot central valley of CA, I try to avoid really cold weather, but even in warm weather I usually blow air into the tube after a drink, that puts the water back into the bladder, preventing drips. Should help with that freezing thing too...

This is one of those "Doh" moments where I wonder why I never thought of that. Thanks.

#96670 - 06/05/07 05:09 PM Re: SmarTube Hydration System [Re: harrkev]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: harrkev
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

This is one of those "Doh" moments where I wonder why I never thought of that. Thanks.

+1 blush

#96673 - 06/05/07 05:49 PM Re: SmarTube Hydration System [Re: harrkev]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
+2. I learned the hard way after a night hike in a forest in Jersey, when temps were in the low teens. Pretty long, thirsty trip back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Today at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.