Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#93177 - 05/01/07 06:30 PM Fear of being Alone
Virginia_Mark Offline
Journeyman

I was reading the "Survival of the mind" thread and kinda wanted to piggy back off that issue. I have read in several survival books (J. Wayne Fears comes to mind) that most people today are never really "Alone", and in sever cases can panic really bad once they sence they are alone.
Now I have hunted and fished all my life, most times all alone miles from people, but occationally I will sense some anxiety. I honestly did not know what it was until I read these books and put one and one toghther. Sometimes I will feel a like my chest is tightening, and the air is thick, other times I will have to have a bowel movement. I always thought I was just not feeling well, but looking back; I think it was a sub-consious response to realizing I was all alone. Usually this only happens in areas I am less familar with. I have places that are miles off the beaten path that I have gone to for years, and I feel nothing of being there alone.
One time last year I was hunting in a new area, and hadn't told anyone where I was going (Stupid I know) It was when I realized that I hadn't told anyone that I started to have a mini panic attack. I just sat down and started hunting and concentrating on where I thought deer would come in from. I knew I had Water, Fire, sil-tarp, and a few Clif bars. I could stay there for a couple days no problem, but the feeling was still there. I would set for an hour or so, then move 1/4 mile or so back toward my truck, and sit down again. Once I got about 1/3 of a mile from the truck, the feeling stopped. Keep in mind I was not lost, I had a GPS and two compasses, lol grin
I have never felt this when with another person, and I don't think it is an acute fear, more of an unsettling feeling. I just think it's weird that crazy I am 36 and just now am figuring this out. So, now that we have established I am a head case; how do I fix this?

Edited by Run2The9 (05/01/07 06:34 PM)

#93179 - 05/01/07 06:50 PM Re: Fear of being Alone [Re: Virginia_Mark]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

As long as can still hear the voices in my head I'm never alone wink

#93180 - 05/01/07 06:52 PM Re: Fear of being Alone [Re: Virginia_Mark]
Fishmode Offline
Stranger

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Nicely done! I would say that what you did was a good step in getting to know your true self. Being alone miles from civilization has let your mind express itself to the truest essense and you just got the feel of it. I think, in part, because human beings are socialized beings, we are very much ingrained with the thought that there will always be another by your side...since there has never been a time that that is not the case.

Those feelings, I make of it, are the beginnings into knowing more about one's true self and to do the things you might feel are most natural when you're all alone. Good insight.

And Good Luck

FishMode

#93182 - 05/01/07 07:08 PM Re: Fear of being Alone [Re: Fishmode]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Take a dog!

#93207 - 05/01/07 09:34 PM Re: Fear of being Alone [Re: Virginia_Mark]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Now you know how a Borg feels when they are first disconnected from the hive.

Like NightHiker, that's the way I feel when I am surrounded by people. During the Christmas Season, I have to have a large Daiquerie in order to go shopping.

Going camping by myself, I have "Roamer" to keep me company. Roamer is a stuffed bear that my kids send along with me to keep me safe and sound (He is the official relief of Baby Mickey Mouse & that's another story). There are some advantages to having "Roamer" along. He doesn't talk too much and he only eats shirts (& poops buttons, but that's another story) so I keep shirts out of his reach. He never argues or tries to nitpick me. He listens very well & agrees with all of my thoughts & ideas.

Only a dog would be better company.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

#93240 - 05/02/07 02:08 AM Re: Fear of being Alone [Re: Virginia_Mark]
Kuovonne Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, TX
Hi,

Quote:
occationally I will sense some anxiety ... how do I fix this?

It sounds like there is nothing for you to fix.

It sounds like the mild anxiety doesn't prevent
you from getting out and enjoying the outdoors by yourself.
It also sounds like you are properly prepared for being
alone.

As far as the mini-panic attack when you realized that
you hadn't told anyone where you were going, maybe
it will help you remember to tell someone before
future solo outtings.

-Kuovonne

p.s. Personally I have always keep a stuffed animal
or two around when I'll be "away" from civilazation,
or when DH is out of town.

Oh, and depending on your religous beliefs, you
might never be completely alone.

#93256 - 05/02/07 03:33 AM Re: Fear of being Alone [Re: Virginia_Mark]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
The only way to fix monophobia is like any other phobia like social phobia or agoraphobia or arachnophobia, etc.: by exposing yourself to the situations that make you anxious over and over again and by disputing your irrational believes. You could take it up with a professional if you really want some help.

Frankie

#93258 - 05/02/07 03:57 AM Re: Fear of being Alone [Re: Virginia_Mark]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You may not be alone with that feeling.

I've read several articles about people who got lost, and everyone wonders why they just didn't stop. But in one article, the guy admitted that he "just panicked and kept on moving".

And I think that would be a good explanation why people don't stop moving. Maybe something like "running away from being lost". Kind of wacky, but it feels like it would make sense.

I really is hard to be alone these days, even when you want to be. I guess when really are alone, it can give you the heebiejeebies when you're not used to it, or think about it too much.

Sue

#93260 - 05/02/07 04:13 AM Re: Fear of being Alone [Re: Virginia_Mark]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Humans are social animals. We've spent a long time having someone watch our backs; those who didn't were either eaten or mugged. Those "genetic memories", for lack of a better term, are the ones that got be passed on.

Me, I hate crowds. I get this feeling if there are ten people in a conference room, and commercial aviation is a night mare. But even I need to interact with people. If you don't have people around, you make one, ie "Wilson".

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#93263 - 05/02/07 04:20 AM Re: Fear of being Alone [Re: Virginia_Mark]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I don't have a clue how to fix it, but I know that the problem does effect many folks. I was in a Costco the other day, this guy was wandering around with a cell phone stuck in his ear, talking to who knows who, when his cell battery died. I actually saw fear on his face, when he tried and tried to make a call out and couldn't. From what we could hear of the conversation (not trying to, but he was a loud talker), this had not an earthshattering call, just BSing with someone, yet he appeared to be approaching the panic stage, as in "oh my God, I am all alone in this store full of people and my cell is dead"...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 172 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.