Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89694 - 03/28/07 04:05 PM A little taste of things gone wrong
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
This spring the corn field behind my property is flooding like it never has before, and some of that water has extended onto my property. So last night I decide to take my new Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx GPS out to obtain a track of the perimeter of the flooded area (turns out to be a total of about 50 acres under water).

So during this walk I'm at most about 1/3 of a mile away from my house - I can see it during most of the walking. I brought with me a camera, cell phone, the GPS, and my EDC (whistle, sparker, mini-Rittergrip). I'm wearing my barn boots, which are standard calf-high pullup rubber boots.

At about halfway around the perimeter I realize that the only way to get to the "other" side of the water's edge is to either walk all the way back around to where I can from, OR walk across a 25 foot section of fairly shallow (8 inches maybe) flooded land. Being lazy, I decide to cross the shallow. Well, three steps into the water my left leg drops about 3 feet into a hole in the ground. Luckily I stoped the fall by jamming my right knee into the muck. The good news was that I didn't fall over completely.

So slowly I manage to wiggle my left boot out of the hole and get enough of a foot-hold to stand up and wash the muck off my hands. Only after standing up did I (1) feel amazed that I didn't drop the GPS, (2) realize that although my left leg was caked in mud and my right leg was wet, the water never even got above my front pockets - my wallet, cell phone, car remote, and camera were all completely dry. Whew!

I finally manage to cross the shallow spot without any more problems, and then I start looking for a non-muddy place to pull my left boot off and try to remove some of the muck. All I could do was balance on my right leg while doing my best to dump out some of the muck and water. Then I'm off again to walk the rest of the perimeter ... with every step it was squish, splat, squish, splat.

Though it was pretty cold and windy (my hands were cold having to hold the GPS out), but my wet legs didn't feel all that cold - probably because of the walking.

Now I'm getting tired because it is much harder to walk with two wet boots caked in mud, and it is getting dark (I started out much later than I'd planned). I started thinking that I could easily imagine how someone who was lost and in my current state of wetness and discomfort could loose track of time and not realize how late it was really getting. The night creeps up fast since my eyes are adjusting to the darkness pretty well. It would be very easy not stop soon enough to find adequate shelter.

As I walked I'm looking around the edges of the field thinking about where I'd go for shelter if I really had to. There just isn't much there, though there are brushy areas. But to setup a shelter in such brush would take time and a much bigger knife to cut branches than my mini-Rittergrip (yeah, Mr. "I don't need a huge knife" admitting it would speed shelter building up). I also had the sense of "I've got to keep going" that is probably felt by so many who are lost and don't just stop to rest or seek shelter.

An interesting night last night, and the total distance walked turned out to be 2.6 miles. The good news is that I was able to return to my truck, strip off the yucky boots, and drive home, but it makes me appreciate the peril of the "unexpected" happening.

By the way, those electric boot dryers sold made by Peet (I got mine from Cabelas - $35) work wonders for drying out soaked boots! They were dry by morning.

Ken

#89695 - 03/28/07 04:16 PM Re: A little taste of things gone wrong [Re: KenK]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

That's a good point about natural shelter materials not always being readily available. Or if they are, it may take too much time and energy to build one. It just reinforces the need to always carry something to use as shelter in the woods, even if it is just a large leaf bag.

#89708 - 03/28/07 05:28 PM Re: A little taste of things gone wrong [Re: KenK]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Poor planning, bad decisions, bad weather, time of day, just plain bad luck, or any combination thereof, and you can be in trouble.

And you never, EVER sigh in exasperation and exclaim, "WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT?!" Don't tempt the Fates like that...

By the way, what brand of barn boots do you wear? I've bought some that were the most uncomfortable things I've ever worn.

I'm glad you just got wet feet and didn't lose your equipment.

Sue

#89724 - 03/28/07 07:58 PM Re: A little taste of things gone wrong [Re: KenK]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: KenK
Being lazy, I decide to cross the shallow. Well, three steps into the water my left leg drops about 3 feet into a hole in the ground.

Thanks for taking the time to share that story, Ken.

For me, one thing that this story reinforces is the danger of blindly heading into flooded territory, whether it's three inches or three feet of water, whether you're driving or on foot, in the woods or in town. I mean, we can't just assume that the way is safe, so we should either avoid the area or take precautions when crossing. Just because the first ten steps, the first twenty steps, are OK doesn't mean the 21st step isn't into a hole or onto a big, rusty, boot-piercing nail or whatever. I'm glad your electronics were saved from a dunking. smile

#89734 - 03/28/07 09:38 PM Re: A little taste of things gone wrong [Re: NightHiker]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Thats one thing I don't like about murky water, you can't see the bottom. It's kind of funny, if I went for an unexpected swim 10 years ago, it would have ended with me drying out my wallet as opposed to replacing a small fortunes worth of electronics.

#89736 - 03/28/07 09:41 PM Re: A little taste of things gone wrong [Re: norad45]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
Greetings Ladies and Gents, I hope I find you all well.
Thoughts;

There are situations where a large knife is useful.
Would a walking stick/staff have been of use?
Re. holes, urban flooding, man hole covers blown off due to flood. If you fall into one of these, chances are you won't survive. Just as we use our sticks in the woods to aide balance,and check a questionable area prior to stepping, around water/floods I think the same applies. Regards, Jim

#89753 - 03/29/07 02:01 AM Re: A little taste of things gone wrong [Re: aligator]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Yeah, I had actually thought of taking along a crosscountry ski pole (I have expanding poles, but I thought the one-piece would take the mud better). I figured the basket at the end would be do better in the mud.

Next time I'll know better.

Oh, as far as the rubber boot brand, they are cheap boots from one of the horse supply catalogs. They get crudded up and beat up pretty fast working with our horses, so I tend to get inexpensive ones when I get them. If you're looking for a good brand of rubber boots I used to like Northern boots a lot.

My next purchase needs to be a set of chest waders.

Ken

#89757 - 03/29/07 02:28 AM Re: A little taste of things gone wrong [Re: KenK]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Chest waders and a life vest. grin

Sue

#89768 - 03/29/07 04:50 AM Re: A little taste of things gone wrong [Re: KenK]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Bad things can happen in clear water also. My wife and I once decided to wade across a slow moving section of a Sierra Nevada river, no more than 75 yards across, maybe a foot deep. We made it about 70 yards, then she stepped on a slime covered rock and went down on her fanny. While helping her up, I did the same thing. Her brand new 35mm auto camera was in a pocket, got ruined. Lucky for us, no injuries, and it was the middle of summer, in the 90's at least. Trying to make the best of a bad situation, we stripped off and went skinny dippin' while the clothes dried on a rock...

#89857 - 03/29/07 08:03 PM Re: A little taste of things gone wrong [Re: Susan]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
Chest waders and a life vest. grin

Sue

Point taken!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 480 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.