The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89658 - 03/28/07 01:54 AM why paracord vs. cheaper sisal or jute
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
for survival needs what can you do with para that you cannot do with cheaper alternatives? i'm not talking about rapelling down cliffs , just repairs, shelters, bowstrings etc. you can use jute as tinder which is a bonus, too. jute or sisal rolls can be had for a buck or two at home depot.

#89660 - 03/28/07 02:04 AM Re: why paracord vs. cheaper sisal or jute [Re: kevingg]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i think some of us prefer para-cord because we used
"binders twine" in scouts and then discovered the cord
in the army/name your service..and never went back..
twine seems to un-ravel and is hard to untie and reuse..

#89663 - 03/28/07 02:11 AM Re: why paracord vs. cheaper sisal or jute [Re: kevingg]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Stronger, easier to work with. Sisal has a habit of breaking under any kind of load larger than a water bottle, unravels and starts to rot in days. While nylon DOES break down under exposure to UV light, it still will hold up longer than sisal.

What sisal does have going for it is that it burns, sorta, which means it can be used as wicks, and biodegrades, so if you have to leave it behind you aren't leaving something for future archaeologists. But if you are out long enough you need wicks, you can make your own cordage, and for practice, pack it out with you. In the real deal, you either break down your shelter when you move out or just leave it, just like scattering rocks from a fire ring.

I've never knowingly worked with jute, so I can't comment on it.

Oh, and I want to see you make a bowstring out of sisal or paracord, I'm thinking it would be some kind of sketchy.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#89665 - 03/28/07 03:12 AM Re: why paracord vs. cheaper sisal or jute [Re: ironraven]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
The inner strands.

You get seven inner strands plus the outer casing. That adds up to a lot of line in a small package.

#89672 - 03/28/07 06:22 AM Re: why paracord vs. cheaper sisal or jute [Re: kevingg]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Both jute and sisal break down quickly in sunlight, and neither are very strong. Wind blowing a tarp tied with either will break them loose very quickly.

In fact, jute rots so quickly that most museums will no longer accept any kind of artwork made from it.

Sue

#89675 - 03/28/07 07:14 AM Re: why paracord vs. cheaper sisal or jute [Re: Susan]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Personnaly i prefer a combination of cord/string for repair and DIYing. paracord is a jack of all trade, but a master of none. It multipurposeness also stops, when you have used it. Innercord is great, but a bit annoying to get when you have already used the cord to tie things. It's also stuff i generally don't use when practising, simply because i like stuff that rot away when i forget to retrieve it and it's cheap.

In my case, for the majority of tie-ing, twine is good enough. I don't use it for long term repairs or building anyways, so no rotting issues for me. I only use paracord and other more high-end cords for stuff that needs to be durable or/and hold a heavy load.

#89685 - 03/28/07 02:04 PM Re: why paracord vs. cheaper sisal or jute [Re: kevingg]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It maybe a bad habit but I prefer paracord or a stout nylon cord because it doesn't rot.

I like to build brush shelters and wickiups. I prefer to leave them intact afterwards since they may be needed by a lost hunter, backpacker, etc who may need them. I do a lot of weaving with living plants so that after I'm gone, the structure will continue to grow stronger.

#89686 - 03/28/07 02:18 PM Re: why paracord vs. cheaper sisal or jute [Re: wildman800]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Huh, I was thinking that the natural fiber ropes actually held up to sun exposure better than synthetics. Much like a cotton duck fabric tent (thinking of a Scout summer camp wall tent) lasts much longer than a nylon or polyester tent.

Most of the long-term tie-downs used at summer camps (wall tents, axe yards) are done with natural ropes and last for a long time (assuming Scouts don't damage them).

Natural ropes are certainly more prone to rot though.

My other experience with natural fiber rope is that once it gets wet and then dries, it shrinks very tight, especially with well done lashings. Sometimes I've needed to cut the rope to disassemble lashing projects that have gotten wet and then dried.

#89691 - 03/28/07 03:26 PM Re: why paracord vs. cheaper sisal or jute [Re: KenK]
Molot Offline
Stranger

Loc: USA
Yes-Paracord

#89720 - 03/28/07 07:29 PM Re: why paracord vs. cheaper sisal or jute [Re: KenK]
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Originally Posted By: KenK
Huh, I was thinking that the natural fiber ropes actually held up to sun exposure better than synthetics. Much like a cotton duck fabric tent (thinking of a Scout summer camp wall tent) lasts much longer than a nylon or polyester tent.

Most of the long-term tie-downs used at summer camps (wall tents, axe yards) are done with natural ropes and last for a long time (assuming Scouts don't damage them).

Natural ropes are certainly more prone to rot though.

My other experience with natural fiber rope is that once it gets wet and then dries, it shrinks very tight, especially with well done lashings. Sometimes I've needed to cut the rope to disassemble lashing projects that have gotten wet and then dried.

Same with me... I lent some sisal or jute(do not remember which) to a friend to tie down a tarp over the top of his 'tarp over frame' garage... The stuff he had been using kept rotting away(some kind of synthetic string)... When it came time to remove it(6 to 12 months later), we had to cut it away...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.