Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#88341 - 03/14/07 05:41 PM to warn people or not?
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

this article: http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1685381.ece

raises a interesting question. When you encounter ill equipped people. Should you warn them about the dangers and how much effect would such a warning have?

Lets face it, most of use have done stupid things and lived. And messing with peoples plans are not always retuned with a positive way.

#88343 - 03/14/07 05:50 PM Re: to warn people or not? [Re: Tjin]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

...I once came across a hiker in the alps wearing shorts and a tee shirt -- and it had just snowed a few days before.

#88344 - 03/14/07 05:52 PM Re: to warn people or not? [Re: Tjin]
Frozen Offline
Journeyman

I've warned people about upcoming conditions on my way down from a summit. It never stopped anyone immediately, but even if you put a seed of doubt into people's minds, that's a good thing.

#88345 - 03/14/07 06:03 PM Re: to warn people or not? [Re: Tjin]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I have on several occaisions met some hikers who are totally clueless and took the opportunity to give them some advice.

One time I was im the middle of an 11 mile day hike that is a loop and I met these people who had not jackets, flashlights or water. They asked me about directions and I told them that if they were planning on continuing in their current direction they would be out past dark and they would be in risk of getting stuck out. They thanked me and took my advice to turned back the way they had come.

But there has been other times when the advice is unwelcome.

I met a father and son at 13,000 feet on the Mt Whitney trail. The boy was showing serious signs of altitude sickness so I told the dad he needed to turn around and head down to a lower elevation. He did not listen to me until 2 other hikers insisted the same thing. He was putting his child in danger but wanted to summit Mt Whitney.

#88349 - 03/14/07 06:16 PM Re: to warn people or not? [Re: Tjin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
All the time. I also frequently tell friends things like "there goes a dead man."

I've warned them. That's all I am ethically obligated to do.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#88352 - 03/14/07 07:16 PM Re: to warn people or not? [Re: ironraven]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
Morally I believe we have no choice. Plus think back to your younger days when you have been given good advice - whether you listened or not. :-)

One area where I do keep my mouth shut is the area of stocking up on food. Everyone you try to warn will laugh at you now, but will all be lined up at your front door when they run out. When the greater good for your offspring is to horde food then that is what you have to do.

However, if I see someone who I think maybe hiking to their death then I would have no choice but to stick my nose into their business.

#88355 - 03/14/07 08:03 PM Re: to warn people or not? [Re: Micah513]
Blackeagle Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Last November, I was doing some hiking in the Grand Canyon. When I was coming up the South Kaibab trail,twenty minutes from the rim, I met a woman with two elementray school aged kids. Had no backpacks, fanny packs, or water visible. The mother stopped and asked me, "How long does it take to get to the bottom?" Somewhat taken aback, I thought for a moment and replied, "Getting to the river and back takes two days."* The mother seemed somewhat surprised at this, but didn't say anything. I continued on my way up the trail, and a few switchbacks up, I saw she and her kids had turned around and were following me up.

*Yes, I know some people do rim to river and back in one day, but someone who isn't carrying any gear and has to ask how long it takes to get to the river isn't one of them!

#88356 - 03/14/07 08:23 PM Re: to warn people or not? [Re: Tjin]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
There are ranges of 'ill-equipped' and ranges of danger. I think also the attitude of the person doing the warning has an effect.

I think that pointing out some potential problems for consideration is helpful, but I'm not a cop, I don't wear a badge and carry a gun, and I can't arrest people for being either inexperienced or stupid. I see no reason to insult someone who is inexperienced, as I see done frequently by self-called experts.

As you say, we've all done stupid things and lived, so my expectation is that most people will live after making mistakes. But offending the inexperienced with a superior, insulting manner makes warnings difficult to take.

When I offer advice, I'm always prepared to have it rejected without being offended. It's not my life and limb at risk, and I'm happy to let others make their own mistakes. That's how I learned.

Of course, I'm generally not on the summit of some god-forsaken mountain nor on the rim of some bottomless chasm, so I'm back to the range of danger. Let'em screw up, I say. That's how they get to be the ones to offer advice.

#88357 - 03/14/07 08:26 PM Re: to warn people or not? [Re: Blackeagle]
Micah513 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MO
nice! they probably wouldn't have died, but those kids would have been whining the whole way back up the trail

#88359 - 03/14/07 08:30 PM Re: to warn people or not? [Re: ironraven]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
I often warn fellow hikers (people I do not know) of hazardous conditions. However, I feel that once the situation has been made clear to someone, it is up to them to decide to turn back. On the other hand, while climbing mountains with my troop, I have often sent ill-prepared Scouts down the mountain.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 586 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.