Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3856 - 01/30/02 06:54 PM non-kit kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

just aggregating some of the ideas from other threads in hopes to generate more creative ideas along these lines.<br><br>These are ideas that have been put forward for carying PSK items without having to give up a pocket to an altoids sized tin.<br><br>Cordage:<br>The idea of a belt made of cord was put forward and in fact there is a link to a how-to page for the DIY'ers among us. Missing is a link to a source for appropriate belt buckles for this application. The instructions can be found at <br>[url]http://www.slatts.freeserve.co.uk/slatts-knot.htm[/url}<br><br>Doubleing your shoelaces was mentioned and tried by Jet (thanks)<br><br>Tools:<br>Seems that the mega-keychain is the winner in this category. posted by hthomp.<br> MEGA-KEYCHAIN. It is a jump cord woven key fob (two 3 ft. lengths of jump cord...ends up being about 3 inches long by 1/2 inch dia) with a key ring on each end. One end has the following attached: Leatherman Micra, Suunto zipper pull type compass, Stainless steel "pill holder" (about 1 5/8 inch long by 3/4 inch dia, picked up through Herrington's...marketed as a keychain vial to hold pills or small bottle of nitro...O-ring sealed....NICE) which contains 25 ft. of Spyderwire, $20 bill, copy of driver's license, half dozen assorted fish hooks, 4 split shot, two Spark-Lite fire tinders; Stainless steel keychain butane lighter (2 1/4 in long by 1/2 in thick), Flint key (take blank house key, get pkg of flints used for a Zippo, superglue them end to end in the large groove of key, put shrink tube around to protect, black tape 2 1/2 inch piece of hacksaw blade to it for striker). The keyring on the OTHER end has: Princeton-Tec Blast 2 AAA light (VERY bright for its size, have had and used Photons, etc. just like the light output of this thing), Omega-Pacific whistle (1 7/8 in long, aluminum, a little larger in dia than .22 shell....LOUD), Sears Craftsman 4 way pocket screwdriver (flat, little larger than a quarter...you see some of the old ones with four leaf clover on them), P38 taped for protection, handcuff key, and then, FINALLY about 8 different keys. The entire MEGA-KEYCHAIN laid out is 11 inches long.....but, it does fold up and, surprisingly, is not TOO bulky in a jeans pocket. If it were possible to post a pic on here, I would.<br><br>Fishing kit's<br>There's the one mentioned in the Mega KeyChain above in a pill vial<br>Then theres this one wound on a credit card by prybar<br>I found that I could wind 50 ft of 20 lb test braided fishing line around an old credit card... then cover the line with aluminum foil... with the end of the line exposed, it could be pulled out easily... then wind 3 ft of duct tape and right next to it 5 ft of black elect. tape...<br><br>The whole thing is thin enough to put in my wallet... yet have instant access to any one of the three..!<br><br>These ideas server two purposes well (and perhaps many others)<br>1) Once implemented they are so easy to carry that you will not be tempted to leave them at home (with the possible exception of that Mega KeyChain)<br>2) They are inconspicuous enough not to draw attention - which is a concern to some of us. Though, given the current state of airport security I wouldn't try to get eve an inconspicuous blade on board. These can easily be checked and if lost replaced. This leaves you without a blade in the air and in any situation arising from unexpected landings. It also reduces the opportunities for others to cause an unexpected landing<br><br>In any case I would be very interested in further ideas along these lines. I currently carry two altoids tins one standard PSK and another with First Aid stuff. I doubt that I could carry all of the same materials without the kit. But It would be interesting to see how much I could. <br>I am a software engineer by day and often need to be presentable in business attire - this limits the type of packaging I can carry. I would love to be able to wear my smaller fanny-pack all day but that doesn't go over well at the office.<br><br>I would also be interested in any info / references that people can provide on sturdy clothing that will take on a business look rather than a paramilitary look when worn in the office environment. Particularly good footwear. I have seen the stuff at campmor and the nycott and taslan stuff looks good but I haven't dropped the cash yet due to it's price. If anyone has had experience with those fabrics in a business setting or can recommend a source for business looking wool Or other things along those lines. <br> Thanks in advance!<br> Brad

#3857 - 01/30/02 11:01 PM Re: non-kit kit
hthomp Offline
Outdorus Fanaticas
Journeyman

Loc: AR
* * blushes * * lol....... No, seriously, thanks for the compliment about my MEGA-KEYCHAIN. It is truly a handy item that I take everywhere. I have a pic of it to show....but, someone will need to post it for me.

#3858 - 01/31/02 10:04 AM Re: non-kit kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

The best thing about this site is it encourages the diversity of planning. no matter what your needs are, you can find somebody who can give you an idea on this site. The "traditional" plan of a tin style PSK may seem a little to "hardcore" for some, but a fully loaded keychain is something anyone can put together. Sometimes planning is just getting an idea for what you need, and learning the best way to put it together. <br><br>

#3859 - 01/31/02 02:17 PM Re: non-kit kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

if someone can post the pic for hthomp then pleese do!!!!<br>I would really like to see a pic of what has become the legendary MEGA-KEYCHAIN!!!!<br>-james

#3860 - 02/01/02 01:07 PM Re: non-kit kit alternative thinking
Anonymous
Unregistered

FWIW --<br><br> Anyone who reads this forum really should check out www.therangerdigest.com and see some of the nifty ideas shown by "Ranger Rick."<br><br> There are 9-10 volumes of his Ranger Digest available (which I haven't yet given into temptation and bought) but check out the free "tips and tricks" he shows you. Just about every one is interesting and resourceful.<br><br> Specifically, as far as a "non-kit kit," see his idea for the survival necklace. Not everyone wants to wear a hardware store around the neck, and he talks about alternate carry. Look at his water bottle cap storage idea, which would work well with a key chain. And check out his Maglite mini-kit, using a mounted 35mm film canister on an AA Maglite.<br><br> This guy knows his stuff, and thinks "outside the box." Good stuff!

#3861 - 02/02/02 12:45 AM Keychain vials
Anonymous
Unregistered

I finally found some sources for these keychain vials that are mentioned on the MEGA-KEYCHAIN. I haven't acquired any as yet since there seems a wide difference in price. The links I have found are below. If anyone has input on these or can point me to another source I welcome it. <br><br>http://shop.store.yahoo.com/herrington-catalog/t337.html<br><br>http://www.seniorshops.com/nytstorvial.html<br><br>http://www.ppcitools.com/specials/<br><br>http://www.gpiinc.com/chain.htm<br><br>http://www.apothecaryproducts.com/catalogue/category.asp?CatID=1&SubCatID=5<br><br>http://www.wmsgroup.com/Promotions/Catalog/keytainers.htm<br><br>http://www.911medalert.com/catalog.asp?action=showitem&id=1095&cat=31

#3862 - 02/02/02 07:06 PM Re: non-kit kit
red_jeep Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Email me if you have a picture to post for this thread. I've posted pics for mebrad before. <br><br>Matt Runyan<br>mrunyan@usa.net

#3863 - 02/04/02 06:17 PM Re: non-kit kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Cordage:<br>The idea of a belt made of cord was put forward and in fact there is a link to a how-to page for the DIY'ers among us. Missing is a link to a source for appropriate belt buckles for this application. The instructions can be found at<br>http://www.slatts.freeserve.co.uk/slatts-knot.htm<br><p><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Well, I had some time on the couch this weekend since I was watching some football so I tried to make this belt. I was very surprised at how much cord this actually takes. I have a 34" waist and needed approximately 150 ft of cord. Unfortunately the URL posted above is not responding right now. I found that the proper tool for this endeavor is a corchet hook. I might try using a latch-hook next time. 7 loops of a 1/16" cord will create a usable 3/4" wide belt. much thicker a cord and the belt will be so thick as to be too bulky for my tastes as an everyday wear. If anyone knows where to get belt hardware online or in southern NH I would appreciate the pointer. The fasteners available at EMS are not as usefull as I would have liked for this project. The connection at the buckle doesn't come open to insert through the last row or loops.<br><br>For those who hadn't perused the above link I hope that it comes back. I don't have the images that were posted there describing the knot used in making this belt so I can't post them. I could reproduce them from experience if I had to but then I would be asking for someone to post them for me.

#3864 - 02/04/02 08:36 PM Re: non-kit kit
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I found a web site with buckles as well as lanyards.<br><br>http://www.lanyardsupply.com/Default.htm<br><br>They also supply break-away connectors for lanyards. Hmmm...

#3865 - 02/05/02 12:20 AM Re: non-kit kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a prosecutor, so I too am somewhat limited in functional attire appropriate at work. I have found Dockers Mobile slacks. They have great deep front slash pockets with hidden zippered inside pockets--heavier duty waist band and a hidden zipper pocket onseam below the right front pocket. Can use with a sports coat on non-jury days. Have been advertised a lot, but I found them hard to locate. www.kohls.com has best selection and price that I can find. I think that they only come in khaki and black, but that is perfect for me. Better than landsend or llbean chinos with pockets you would otherwise have to go to travelsmith for. Order 2 inches longer than you normally would. You will probably have to have someone who knows how hem them a little if you need for them to break properly over dress shoes. If anyone has an online source for these types of clothes, I would love to hear from them. LLBean used to sell great dress shirts that had a flap closure on the front pockets. I can't find anything like that anymore that is so close to a dress shirt. I would really like some help with that too. Now if they would only make a three-piece suit!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, SRMC), 599 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.