The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#83274 - 01/18/07 05:00 PM Para-Cord or Zip-Ties
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Which one is better, for building a shelter(lean-to)? Which one will hold up better to the wind, rain & snow?Which will will hold longer, if the shelter is to be used for longer than one night?

#83275 - 01/18/07 05:05 PM Re: Para-Cord or Zip-Ties
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Para-cord is just too useful not to carry. It is adaptable to a wide variety of situations. But zip-ties do not require any knot tying ability to use.

I carry lots of both!

#83276 - 01/18/07 05:16 PM Re: Para-Cord or Zip-Ties
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
Para cord is a multi tasker and a must have. Zip ties are nice, buy I'd take the para cord over the zip ties. Para cord is also usable many times.

Dave

#83277 - 01/18/07 05:33 PM Re: Para-Cord or Zip-Ties
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Dunno, I have seen plastic get brittle and break apart when frozen though. The reuseability of the zip-ties would come into question. If the wind blew against your shelter would it give any because of inflexibilty of the zip-ties?. Would this cause your shelter to be more susceptible to wind damage? Would this cause an effect similar to what happens to a cheap tarp tied tightly down to a pickup truck bed after going a hundred miles down the interstate?-- It goes to shreds. I'm just asking these things because I would like to know myself. I would definitely choose paracord if I had to choose between the two just to be safe. But you can always bring both!

#83278 - 01/18/07 06:04 PM Re: Para-Cord or Zip-Ties
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
Don't think there's any issue with flexabilty of para cord vs. zip ties. If the wind is hitting your shelter like going 100 on the freeway, you have bigger issues to contend with.

Dave

Edited by X-ray Dave (01/18/07 06:05 PM)

#83279 - 01/18/07 06:08 PM Re: Para-Cord or Zip-Ties
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
But don't zip-ties only bend easily in one back-and-forth direction, not side-to-side? Or am I missing something here?

Oh, okay, never mind, you edited your post. No, just using that as an example of wear, but admittedly it was a poor example. I didn't mean to imply you would be in that severe a situation 100 mph winds, it was the distance of 100 miles down the interstate. Heck the old truck I was driving was doing barely over 50 anyway.

Edited by Simon (01/18/07 06:29 PM)

#83280 - 01/18/07 06:08 PM Re: Para-Cord or Zip-Ties
Coastie09 Offline
I didn't float test my chipping hammer, honest Chief!

Loc: Connecticut
Given a choice of one or the other, I would definitely choose paracord over zip ties. Here are a few reasons...

1. Paracord can be untied and removed, zip tips must be cut and trashed (Moving camp perhaps, or expanding your shelter, or rebuilding after some damage)
2. Excess paracord can be cut off and used for something else, extra tag on a zip tie isn't so useful
3. Lashing beats the security of zip ties any day. I don't know how you would make a very secure tripod (for a shelter per say) with just zipties.
4. On the whole, a length/weight of paracord seems more useful and multi purpose (bow and drill fire, wrapping bandages, sewing/fishing with inner strands, leash for your dog, etc) than an equal length/weight of zipties. I personally don't have any zip ties whatsoever in my kits, but then again I am competent in knots and lashing. Here are 2 tips I've learned for those of you that might not be able to lash together poles for a shelter:
a) take that survival saw of yours and begin to cut a small (about 2-4" dia, 12-15' tall), straight tree at thigh height. Instead of cutting all the way through, leave a little "hinge" that, once the top of the tree falls, will still secure your new "ridgepole" to the thigh high stump. Strip the branches on the ridgepole and begin to cover will all that nice leaves/bark/branches/dirt that makes a good water and wind resistant derbris shelter
b) find a "v" in a tree or where a branch meets the trunk at an appropriate height. Place your ridgepole in the v (you can place a log/rock on top of the far end of the ridgepole - or bury it - to keep it from slipping out of the v) and build your shelter.

Hope that helps

Matt

#83281 - 01/18/07 06:33 PM Re: Para-Cord or Zip-Ties
Danoon Offline

I agree with the paracord, though I have both in the bob and the truck. When you consider the 7 strands in the paracord that can be used for fishing line, sewing, snares, dental floss.. lol, not to mention tieing things. I get a lot more use out of the paracord than zip ties.

#83283 - 01/18/07 07:21 PM Re: Para-Cord or Zip-Ties
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
I think if you are talking about versatility vs. weight/space carry concerns, the paracord is going to win. Zipties are much lower on the multi-tasking scale. However, for BOBs and other longer term (read bigger kits) situations, a quality ziptie may be the way to go.

For starters, let me clear up a common misconception. For most quality zipties you can re-use them by using a small tool to release the catch. On to the job at hand. I've used zip ties to attach a brass grommetted nylon cloth to a pole, and despite fairly unbelievable abuse, they've held up over the long haul. It's taken literally years to break the plastic in what I would consider extreme circumstances.

They are easy to use, even with pretty cold/numb hands (don't ask!). You just have to steady your arms somehow and use larger motor skills to get it started. They can be tied with one hand and a little ingenuity. They won't flex as much, which can be detrimental or beneficial depending on the situation. They require no skill to lash down. They have a very high tensile strength. They won't rot. They don't care if they get wet.

They might care if they get really cold, but again, my own experiments bear out -10 deg. F or worse conditions under heavy wind loads. I will say, that when mine have failed after years of service, it's been in the winter!. The newest set I'm using are UV resistant and I'm using two in place of one... they've already outlasted the old set. They are FAST to setup.

I'd say from the one-handedness and no-thought or skill requried, they deserve a place in your kit. Real 550 Paracord is great, doesn't rot and is very versatile, and certainly you can lash with one hand. But can you do it one handed in 20 knot winds blowing your tarp in 10 below weather? Anyway, I'd vote for both. If I had limited space and weight, probably go with paracord. But I'm guessing that even over weeks, you wouldn't notice much difference between the two if you have quality lashings in the rope and quality outdoor (UV stable) zipties.

#83284 - 01/19/07 02:26 AM Re: Para-Cord or Zip-Ties
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
I carry both in my GHB and Jeep.
While Para-cord can have more uses, zip ties weigh almost nothing ao a couple dozen don't add to weigh and take up almost no room.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 77 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.