Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#74633 - 10/09/06 03:46 PM Vehicle food/water in changing climate?
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Over the weekend, I did a quick inventory of my truck to see what kind of gear I have in it compared to some of the checklists I've seen here. I was pleasantly surprised that I had more than I thought I did. Unfortunately, it's not very organized. Some of it was in the bed toolbox, some just thrown in an old ALICE pack, and some in day bags that I carry for different reasons. I need to work on that, but at least it's there.

The one area I was severly lacking was food and water. Other than a small bag of pretzels and a box of Gu, I really had nothing. I guess I've never stocked the truck because of the widely changing climate of New England. Many times in the summer, I'll keep a case of water in gallon plastic jugs. But I've had them freeze, crack and leak in the winter. I've really never kept any food, and I don't really have an excuse why.

So, what are my best options for a good 3 or 3+ day supply?

#74634 - 10/09/06 03:54 PM Re: Vehicle food/water in changing climate?
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Our winters can be cold, but not quite as bad as New England. I've kept the 0.5L bottled waters in the trunk before and not had a problem. Probably not the best idea; one of these days I will probably go out and find a small swimming pool.

How about leaving room (1/4) in the bottle or container for the ice to expand when frozen?

As far as food, I've used granola bars, Power bars, Clif bars, Jelly Belly "Sport Beans", and that sort of thing.

#74635 - 10/09/06 04:06 PM Re: Vehicle food/water in changing climate?
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
How about leaving room (1/4) in the bottle or container for the ice to expand when frozen?

I've thought about that, but I prefer factory sealed containers so that I'm not concerned with it "going bad" just when I finally need it (Murphy).

#74636 - 10/09/06 04:08 PM Re: Vehicle food/water in changing climate?
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
When not in our motorhome (which is currently our only home), we tow/drive a Chevy Tracker, a 4WD mini SUV type thing. Not a whole lot of storage space in the little guy. Behind the rear seat is a small storage area, which has two of those Action Packer (I think they are called) plastic boxes with clamp on lids. One containes emergency supplies for the car (oil, antifreeze, tools, that kind of thing), and the other has paper plates, lexan "silverware," a one burner propane stove with a brand new bottle of fuel, a bottle of "campers soap," that liquid soap that works with cold and salt water, a couple of MRE's, a few cans of soup, chili, Spam (yeah, I know, so don't say it), a P-51 (the big guy) to open the cans, a kitchen knife and small stone to keep it sharp, and I don't recall what else. I try to replace the food items every six months or so. In between those two boxes is one of those USGI made in Canada 2.5 gal water "jeep cans," and two sets of snow chains. On top is my day pack with the usual goodies.

In a storage pod on the top of the Tracker is a 7x7 dome tent, two self inflating sleeping pads, a 20 degree and a zero degree mummy bag (they zip together), two M-65 field jackets with liners, a GI wool blanket, two sets of rain gear, a USGI E-tool (the old one with wooden handle), a scout sized axe, a Sven saw, a candle lantern with a dozen candles, a small coffee can with a roll of TP inside and a couple of bottles of rubbing alcohol (for a heat producing stove), a nylon tarp with several stakes and a mile of paracord, and I don't recall what else.

We have never had to use any of it. Yet...

#74637 - 10/09/06 06:48 PM Re: Vehicle food/water in changing climate?
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I think the smaller containers would hold up to freeze/thawing cycles much better than larger gallon size ones. I regulary freeze the factory sealed arrowhead .5 liter bottles completely solid without problems, I think there's enough air space and a small enough amount of water that expansion isn't a problem.

Also, if you have to room to keep your water and food in a small ice chest or cooler, it will help. The cooler will insulate from temperature changes, and the mass of water will keep the temperature pretty stable. I sometimes use it to help keep things cooler in heat, but I suppose it would work the same for cold.

#74638 - 10/09/06 06:54 PM Re: Vehicle food/water in changing climate?
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Thanks DTG, Someone on another forum also mentioned the .5L bottles since they are thicker plastic. Sounds like my first plan of attack.

#74639 - 10/10/06 12:58 AM Re: Vehicle food/water in changing climate?
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Take a look at survival rations . Althoug they are rated to for 5 year expiration dates, keeping them in the car will surely decrease its shelf life. I have not expriemnted with them, but my guess keeping them in the car will decrease the shelf life by about 2-3 years, still better then most "normal" foods, IMO.

#74640 - 10/10/06 03:08 AM Re: Vehicle food/water in changing climate?
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Metal water bottles/canteens work better for this, becuase you can thaw them nearer to the fire. I've also done this with plastic USGI canteen and Nalgene bottles (I don't recommend the narrow necks, and the small ones just aren't worth the trouble). I don't see why you couldn't do it with one of the better bladders, but slinging an ice cube isn't my idea of a good time. Jerry cans would rock, but you'd need a big freezer.

Fill them about three quarters full, and with the lids off, stick them in the freezer. Once they are fully, solidly frozen, cap them tightly, stick them in a seperate container like a lock-n-lock or an ammo can, something so just in case one explodes somehow that you don't have a trunk full of ice.

When they are likely to leak (aka, thaw), they'll have negative pressure inside so they are actually less likely to leak. Same principle as canning (water is funny like that), just cooler.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#74641 - 10/10/06 01:11 PM Re: Vehicle food/water in changing climate?
FIELDDOC Offline
Stranger

This is what I have done. I keep 6 or 8 Mainstay food bars in my SUV. I bought a case of the Mainstay 4 oz water pouches. I re-packed those ina toolbox. The toolbox gives it a lower profile, while making it easier to handle.

Fielddoc

#74642 - 10/10/06 03:56 PM Re: Vehicle food/water in changing climate?
NYC2SoCal Offline
dedicated member

I have a case of 1 liter Costco water bottles in each of my cars (20 liters per case = 5 gallons). I also have a camelbak BOB as well in the cars.. the thought is to be able to survive and get back to the house.. If we really need to leave, I have all my real bug out stuff ready to load up and go in the garage.

For food, I have the mainstay rations.. I replace the rations and water every 6 months.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 262 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Today at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.