Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67167 - 06/05/06 04:16 AM Very Necessary ID Card
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
This was on a recent episode of Dr. Phil. I think it's an excellent idea, but I'm wondering where the best place would be to store it. I've got a Spec Ops wallet with an ID holder on the outside of it where my DL rides. I'm asked to show that a lot more than I would ever need a medical info card, but I want to be sure it's seen if needed.

I remember in a thread a while back about "ICE" some of the medical pros here said that if someone is unconscious they aren't necessarily interested in specific medical history (med allergies, blood type etc.). I realize this next statement makes absolutely no sense but here it goes: Several years ago I had a failed intubation that resulted in an infection that was almost fatal. It was suggested that I get a Med Alert tag stating "History of Traumatic Intubation", but I never have. I would be concerned that if I were unconscious that the people treating me know this fact, and therefore I would want the Very Necessary ID card to be found.

Of course, if the option was between death and possible failed intubation...well, I was close to death once, and I didn't much care for it.

The other question is that this card is recommended for children at school and since my oldest is going off to school in the fall, I'm wondering what a logical place to carry it for kids would be.

Ideas?

#67168 - 06/05/06 06:16 AM Re: Very Necessary ID Card
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Laminate it and wear it around your neck? Wouldn't that be the first place paramedics (etc) would look?

Sue

#67169 - 06/05/06 01:34 PM Re: Very Necessary ID Card
NAro Offline
Addict

Ors, why not do what was recommended to you. Get a MedicAlert neck tag or bracelet for your Hx. of Traumatic Intubation. You don't need to go through THAT again!

As for the Medical History card, I still feel that in an emergency it is NOT likely that paramedics will search your wallet. That being said, any good physician one is using (i.e., someone who has your records) would be glad to write down the elements of your history that he/she feels are critical to emergency care. Most probably this will relate to alergies, stents, implanted devices, and perhaps other medical conditions. Don't inflate the list by guessing what is really important to an emergency care provider... ask your doctor. Then, why not type/write it on rite-in-the-rain paper and laminate it in a wallet size RED BORDERED card. I personally would absolutely not use the "service" offered in the link to create a card. I see no need for it, and I see potential risks in it.

Edited by NAro (06/05/06 01:36 PM)

#67170 - 06/05/06 01:50 PM Re: Very Necessary ID Card
Woodsloafer Offline

Loc: Upstate NewYork
EMT's and paramedics will NOT check your wallet at the scene of an incident. They are careful to protect the privite property of a patient from a legal and ethical standpoint. We are trained to check for a Medalert bracelet or necklace. Eventually the hospital staff may check a wallet for ID or a contact for an unconscious patient, but probably only after treatment.
If blood is required, the treatment facility will always type and crossmatch, no matter what a card or tag indicates.

"There is nothing so frightening as ignorance in action."

#67171 - 06/05/06 02:10 PM Re: Very Necessary ID Card
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Unless you have a med alert tag braclet or neck chain there is a slim chance I will be going thru your wallet. Most likely I will throw your wallet to a cop and by the time he gets to your data you will be intubated with IV in place with first set of drugs running thru.

But this is what I'm curious about... What would you like EMS to do in the field for you? I know you said you dont care for death but still mate. HX of traumatic intubation even if known wouldnt stop me from tubing you. I will be more careful and go with a smaller tube but still if I need an airway you getting one.

#67172 - 06/05/06 03:16 PM Re: Very Necessary ID Card
ADRENJUNKY Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
I think that you are taking the "ICE" thread out of context. What matters in case #1 isn't the same for case #2. Normally any info is good info. But it has to be where we can see it. I like the card around the neck and ID braclets are good. I agree with Polak in that if I need an airway you are getting on. Things I would include on a card.
1. Name
2. Meds
3. Major problems(his. of mi, tram. intubation, etc.)

Just my .02

Edited by ADRENJUNKY (06/05/06 03:16 PM)

#67173 - 06/05/06 09:32 PM Re: Very Necessary ID Card
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Quote:
I personally would absolutely not use the "service" offered in the link to create a card. I see no need for it, and I see potential risks in it.

Potential risks? Would you elaborate?

#67174 - 06/05/06 09:40 PM Medic Alert necklace
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

So I'm thinking that it would be in my best interests to get a medic alert tag. I was looking for a titanium tag, and only found one site that offers them. Anyone know a source?

#67175 - 06/06/06 02:14 AM Re: Medic Alert necklace
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
medicalert.org

Don't be so picky about the Ti. Stainless works, and from talking with people I know about this issue, if it isn't a MedicAlert or red dog tag, they aren't going to trust it.

That was after I had proposed the idea of having my allergies tattooed over my collar bone. I don't have to worry about getting a 'cane in the field, but if I'm out and the docs decide to inject something like peniciline, which is often mixed with procane (like novacane, only lighter, penicilline without burns), I'd rather not have them be suprised when I go into anaphelactic shock.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#67176 - 06/06/06 12:51 PM Re: Very Necessary ID Card
NAro Offline
Addict

Potential security issues:

1) You are going to be asked authorize Very Necessary Medical ID to gather information about you, including "current medical conditions, doctors treating you, any drug or food allergies, and more about your personal medical history including insurance carrier, etc.etc.etc..."
2) They will "Link to a secure and confidential database where your health care provider can access all your medical records.....etc.etc."

I have some experience with the issues regarding medical records, the electronic privacy act, and HIPAA. I think the protections under those statutes are insufficient, and I doubt that the cited company is even a "covered entity".
Therefore, I have little trust for their "secure and confidential" database. If you want me to drone on and on about the potential abuses of others' access to your data, that can be another thread.

My point: anything of significance... you can obtain and you can be the "custodian" without putting this all together and risking it being hacked. MedicAlert is sufficient.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.