Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#56234 - 12/16/05 06:18 AM Kenwood TH-F6A #2
lmonsanto Offline

Thanks for all the TH-F6A info. I have one sitting on the table next to me. I have my technicians license and now have to learn how to use this radio for CERT/NERT work. I want configure the radio to use the San Francisco Amateur Radio Club repeater. The is the repeater the local CERT/NERT group uses. Here's the info from the SFARC web page http://www.sfarc.org.

Quote:

Our open high level two meter machine is located on Twin Peaks in the geographic center of San Francisco. W6PW/R operates on 145.150 mhz with a -600 khz offset and a PL 114.8hz. The same frequency PL tone is also generated and transmitted by the repeater for users of the machine who have tone decoding capability. This will eliminate co-channel chatter from blaring out of your speaker when the repeater is not in use.

I followed the directions on page 12 of the TH-F6A manual and:
1. Set the band to 144
2. Set the frequency to 145.150 mhz
3. Set the offset direction to negative
4. Set the offset to 0.600 mhz (600 khz)
5. Activated the tone function (assuming this is the same as PL)
6. Set the tone frequence to 114.8 hz

Does this look like the correct procedure for setting up the TH-F6A with this repeater? I just heard the radio say something like "It is now 10 PM". I assume this is coming from the repeater. When I hold the PTT keydown for a moment, the repeater says "W6WP repeater" instead of "W6PW" repeater which is what I was expecting.

Assuming I did the configuration correctly, should I now be able to hear anyone transmitting on this same frequency, with the same offset and same PL? Is it as easy as that? Is there a way to save this repeater configuration so I can switch between repeaters without having to manually enter everything again?

Thanks for any correction or advice!
Lynn
KI6BRQ

#56235 - 12/16/05 12:09 PM Re: Kenwood TH-F6A #2
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
You should be good to go!

Just as a note, when your radio shows white "T" in a black box, then it will TRANSMIT a squelch tone. When you see a "CT", then it will transmit the tone, and expect to hear the same tone before it breaks the squelch.

Also note (one of my pet peeves) that if you switch between "CT" and "T", then you will have to re-enter your tone frequency. The frequency selection for the two is independent (for some unknown reason).

One more small note. Your transmit button is held in by friction against a rubber key cap. If you drop the unit, it is possible for the plastic button to fall out. This has happened to me about three times in three years. It just snaps back in.

The included antenna is not the best. The Maldol MH-610 is a very nice antenna if you want performance. Note, however, that it is VERY long (but length, in general, equals performance). That is the model that I have, but I am sure that there are others out there. The Diamond SRH320A looks ver similar, but I cannot comment on it because I do not have one.

You have a fun little radio. Enjoy!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Yesterday at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.