The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#55597 - 12/08/05 08:27 PM Knowing your gear "like the back of your hand"
hthomp Offline
Outdorus Fanaticas
Journeyman

Loc: AR
While commuting to work this morning, I need an item out of my "possibilities bag". After I had retrieved the bag, found the correct pocket, and went right to the item that I needed...I realized that....I only glanced once..just to visually locate the bag in the rear floorboard.

My point is: Now that I think about it, there are MANY times in which I have fished something out of my bag without ever having to look for it....or even at the bag while doing so.

There is a place for everthing, and everything in its place....as the saying goes. While things are added and subtracted from the bag at times, the "core" components remain intact...and, now that I think about it....in the exact same location.

I only mention this, because there could stand to be a time (when things really count) when knowing one's gear (or the location thereof) like the back of your hand could be beneficial.

#55598 - 12/08/05 08:32 PM Re: Knowing your gear "like the back of your hand"
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Great point. I will often unpack and repack my gear, not only to check to see it's condition, but also to re-familiarize myself with everything. More than once I've found something I didn't remember I had, or had been looking for somewhere else.

#55599 - 12/12/05 08:46 PM Re: Knowing your gear "like the back of your hand"
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
This relates to an idea I've had lately. It can perhaps be called "Blindness Practice". Simply, -its practicing making your way around a room, yard, or other area, -with your eyes completely shut or blindfolded. This can be a Boon someday, -shud you ever find yourself actually blinded, -or in an otherwise entirely Dark emergency situation. And I don't mean this to apply to only familiar situations or areas. Having some Aquaintence and Ability here, -can come in mighty handy, -even in an entirely unfamiliar area.

I've also thought about similar practice in a vehicle. (as a passenger of course). Towards knowing which direction, way, and etc that your vehicle be traveling / turning. To the extent such ability to discern may even be possible, in humans. (I know this is humanly IMpossible in Instrunment Flying. There, -the idea has occurred to me, -for some kind of sealed, transparent, water containing device, -to be carried along in the cockpit, -for any such emergency. Flight Instrunments entirely out! Then you can know what kind of Dangerous Bank and all, -Flight Attitude, -that your plane is actually in.). Such vehicular blindfold practice, -*may* be eminently useful, -for say POWs in transport. How many times have I read about such blindfolded etc POWs, -being entirely Clueless!, -about the direction and all, -they are so traveling! At the least, -you can sense and take mental note, -of the turns and bends that your vehicle is making. And try to guage some sense out of that!

(I'm aware that a Hood is sometimes placed over the Pilot's head / or Screen over the cockpit window, -on an otherwise Fine VFR Flying Day, -as a part of Instrunment ((IFR)) training. But this is of course when the Plane's flight instrunments are working Fine! I'm not referring to this situation, -in my "Water Level" idea.).

I suggest people try some "Blindness Practice". Starting in familiar areas and situations, of course. You never know if or when, -you may find yourself *actually* Blind !, -or otherwise out in the Dark!

(The same goes for what I call "Balancing Practice". Its been a longstanding pastime of mine, -to Balance and Walk, on Fences, Railings, Railroad Tracks, etc etc! A number of times along Railroad Trax, -I've gone on for miles and miles! Nice little Challenge to see how Far and Long you can go!, -without Slipping or otherwise falling off!). [color:"black"] [/color] [email]hthomp[/email]

#55600 - 12/12/05 09:31 PM Re: Knowing your gear "like the back of your hand"
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
I've made this comment about knots: (and martial arts and music etc.) if you have to think about it, you don't know it well enough! Still going through the learning process with my Spec Ops Pack Rat...just changed to that, and I'm learning things all over again, especially as I add new gear.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.