Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#44183 - 07/17/05 11:54 PM Climbing gear
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
Does anyone carry any kind of climbing/rappeling gear and if so what? What would y'all recommend. I rappelled in the Marine Corps from 87-94 so I have some experience with the gear.

#44184 - 07/18/05 02:02 AM Re: Climbing gear
GeorgeM Offline

I'm a caver and have a lot of vertical caving gear, but it is not a major part of my survival gear. However, it does have its place. Bob and Bob is the major caving supply source in the USA. Go for PMI or Bluewater ropes. A rappel rack is the safest device that has ever been invented. It can be used for drops over 1,000 feet such as the deep pits in Mexico, or a skyscraper such as the Empire State Building. If I worked in a high rise building, I would have my gear in my office.

#44185 - 07/18/05 03:46 PM Re: Climbing gear
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I would suggest heading on down to your closest REI/Hudson Trail/EMS or local caving/hiking/climbing store. Talk with the sales people; many of them are active participants of the sports, for which they sell products. Most of these stores have pamphlets, brochures for both equipment selection and contact information for local climbing instruction/clubs. Touch base with the area climbing/outdoor schools/classes, which will often allow you to “try-out” a variety of equipment as well as allow you to refresh/learn your climbing/rappelling skills. Equipment selection is like most things, a matter of personal choice and familiarity.

Pete

#44186 - 07/18/05 06:24 PM Re: Climbing gear
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
Once you are familiar with what you want look on line for some killer prices on last years colors or hot items. I picked up some extra harnesses and other gear at ridiculously low prices on out of season gear and last years stuff. Oh and go climb some! I think you will find the civilians climb and rappel a little different than what you where taught. They tend to be a little more safety oriented than the government who has lots of bodies and can stand to bend a few.

#44187 - 07/19/05 02:32 AM Re: Climbing gear
reconcowboy Offline

Loc: Ohio
Basically what I want is gear to get out of a third or fourth floor apartment building, possibly even to scale up it if I come home and my family is up there and can't get down. I want to go up and get them.

#44188 - 07/19/05 02:51 AM Re: Climbing gear
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
In the military, we used (IIRC) 3/4 inch white nylon rope and Swiss Seats to rappel. The military style rappelling (where you push off with your feet and do the flying leaps down the side of the cliff) are very hard on the ropes and the ropes were discarded (cut up into smaller sections or simply tossed) after every training session because there was no way to assess the damage. However, for a one-time use such as you describe, this might be a cost-effective option.

Rappeling doesn't take a lot of training, but weighed against that must be the risk of one of your family members freezing on the rope and trapping the rest of you inside. I would think it better to invest in some professional rock-climbing lessons for all of them so they can escape the burning building even if you're on a business trip to Timbuctoo.

#44189 - 07/19/05 03:06 AM Re: Climbing gear
GeorgeM Offline

Most cavers use 7/16 inch nylon ropes (PMI or Bluewater brands) for rappelling and climbing (test strength is around 7,000 pounds). These ropes don't stretch much and so they are not designed for belay work. To protect from damage, we always pad our ropes carefully from sharp rocks and on the lips of pits. Also, never pull a car with your climbing rope. It is very important to get good professional training. Make one serious mistake and you may be dead.

#44190 - 07/19/05 01:14 PM Re: Climbing gear
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
There may be several options for you. My grandfather is retired from a fire department that worked with tall buildings and has told me about several ways to climb a building with only a small amount of equipment. They don’t use many of these techniques anymore because of advances in trucks or for liability reasons but one or two guys that knew what they were doing could in an emergency access a 4 story building easily. Also plan for and or prepare some good anchor points ahead of time for where you are. Shock loading a rope will make you need a bigger anchor than you think. If you are tying off to something make it several things always double up so Murphy and his little silver hammer will strike somewhere else. Oh best book in my library for this is called “On Rope” by Allen Padgett and Bruce Smith.

#44191 - 07/19/05 05:31 PM Re: Climbing gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also, look for "Knots & Ropes for Climbing" by Duane Raleigh. Good drawings.

#44192 - 07/20/05 01:59 PM Re: Climbing gear
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Two things to consider, first getting out is way more important than getting in, and second, you will probably be getting in without assistance (belay) from below. There are plenty of suppliers (Rock-n-Rescue, Rescue Technology) that have pre-made bail-out systems. Here is one http://www.rescueresponse.com/ on their main page. Needs to be coupled with an instructor belt (minimum) or (much preferably) a harness. Hook it to an anchor, and down you go. Pre-set to just hook into. It uses a high strength line (much smaller than what you would expect), figure 8 descender, and a couple of locking carabiners all in its own storage pouch. Are there better setups, sure, but it takes training to thread a rappel rack correctly (and if you don't check it, you just used your only chance), good static line for vertical rope work will not absorb any energy in a fall and will injure/kill you, and other descent devices are "complex" in relation. You can teach almost anyone to descend with a figure 8. By the way, forget what the military taught about bounding down the side. Stay in control and walk down backwards.

As for scaling the building, unless I have grapples, placement poles, cable ladders, or someone I know I can trust to belay me, I am free climbing it. Equipment is there to protect you in a fall, not assist the climb. Aid climbing equipment is very specialized and really not applicable here.

Best advice, find a local climbing gym and an instructor to teach the rest of the family how to rappel properly, then set up a pair of escape line packs with appropriate anchors at least thought out. Don't forget the chafing protection as well.

Regards,
Bill

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 632 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.