If anyone really digs whistles, you might want to check out some whistles used by bird hunters who handle sporting dogs.

Lion Country Supply, a bird-dog hunter supply house, has a good selection @ http://www.lcsupply.com/store/flashcart.cfm?section=286&hash=205

(Scroll down the left-hand bar and click "whistles." They got a lot of 'em.)

I have an Acme Buffalo Horn, Acme staghorn, and Acme English. These are some loud, shrill, pealess whistles that I believe would work well for survival use. Don't need a ton of lung power to make these perform, either. I've compared/used them side-by-side with a Fox40, and find them preferable.(To each his own, though. One of my brothers is a dedicated Lab man, and he's Fox40 fan.)

The staghorn is a little on the longish side (though sort of 'unique' looking if you like things made from horn), but the other two are quite compact, and all are tough. The Acme Buffalo Horn is my regular hunting whistle. Compact, light, works like a charm ...been wearing/use one for about 5 years new. A good piece of gear. The Acme English is my keychain EDC.

Not shillin' for Lion Country. They've just got a wide selection of whistles and is a place where I've found/bought some useful stuff. Cheers.

(An aside: As a basketball referee many moons ago, I ... and a lot of guys ... used to like a whistle I believe was called the Acme Thunderer Widemouth Small in black plastic. I always added a rubber piece around the lip, too, 'cause a lot of times you hold/shift the whistle with your teeth. Great whistle that can stop action in a gym with a 1,000 screaming fans ... but never liked it for hunting use. It's a pea whistle, and they freeze up easily in the field in deep winter.)

Edited by MGF (07/09/05 05:45 PM)