Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#41018 - 05/23/05 09:16 PM TIME article --Science of survival
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#41019 - 05/26/05 01:43 PM Re: TIME article --Science of survival
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
A fantastic article, indeed. Printed it out and had my wife read it.

-- Craig

#41020 - 05/26/05 02:46 PM Re: TIME article --Science of survival
JimJr Offline

Loc: Central Mississippi
I have seen a TV program on the same subject. They talked to survivors of the Baltic Sea ferry disaster . The same human factors were discussed. One of the simulations they showed was very interesting. Most people will try to take the shortest possible routes to escape, jamming those exits. Selecting a longer, but less crowded route can get you out of danger faster.

#41021 - 05/27/05 07:03 AM Re: TIME article --Science of survival
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Some years ago, I was on a United Airlines flight which lost pressurization and the oxygen masks automatically deployed. Everyone (including me) sat stunned and looking around at one another for what seemed like an eternity. Eventually, one of the crew - I have no idea who - made a garbled announcement over the speakers. The speech was completely unintelligible, but it finally convinced me to do what I've heard in dozens of pre-takeoff briefings - grab the mask, pull it toward you, place it over your mouth and nose, etc. Only when I did that did the other passengers around me do the same. It was like we were all waiting for the flight attendant to make some sort of announcement before we did anything.

Now, every time I hear a flight attendant give that briefing, I want to stand up and shout "And don't wait for the flight attendants to make an announcement, they'll be too busy donning their own masks."

I read an analysis of a fatal General Aviation accident in which the pilot lost an engine, then tried to glide to a controlled airport several miles away. Tragically, there were two uncontrolled airports within easy gliding distance. The pilot should have known that from his altitude, there was no way he would be able to reach the controlled airport. An analysis of the transcripts of his communications with Air Traffic Control revealed that he had, in effect, turned over control of the emergency to ATC and was simply following their instructions. ATC, of course, was not trying to fly the plane for him - they were simply giving him information to help him make his own decisions. But as the author (Peter Garrison, I believe) said, in an emergency it can be awfully tempting to turn to someone else and say "You got it."

I think that's probably what happens to a lot of "rule followers" - they are so afraid of responsibility that they subconsciously turn over control to someone in authority. By the time they realize their mistake, it may be too late.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 549 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.