The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#39687 - 04/11/05 03:51 AM Delaware River Flood Lessons Learned
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Flood Wrap-Up

We've broken down emergency operations as of 17:00 April 07 2005 and have returned to the new normal. It's a mess down here. One of our major roads is basically destroyed, it will be a year before it's opened. Cleanup drags on, the damage is appalling.

http://www.brokawphoto.com/APRIL%20FLOODING2/

Lessons Learned.

1. Preplanning matters. The short meeting of emergency services workers before the flood led to a fantastic level of support and coordination. We never had a situation where we didn't have what we needed or where what we needed was a surprise to anyone.
We got what we needed because we planned for it before we needed it. As long as people COULD get through with stuff, they DID.

2. Stand Down Now and Then. Our incident commander grew increasingly exhausted, sleeping less than 10 hours in three days, and as a result, began to make odd decisions. Fortunately, those around him had the good sense to tell him to go to sleep. There's nothing helpful about an incoherent command.

3. Write things down. We set up three big markerboards in the fire station, one with "To Do/Get" one with "Messages" and one with random notes. We also kept a notebook. logging the times things were requested, when things happened and so forth. We should have kept a call log, we will next time.

4. It's really 72 hours before your real help arrives. Despite the fact that we had food and water and such, there were many homes that were utterly unreachable from about 17:00 on April 3 until about 09:00 on April 5. Those folks had to make do on their own. Even if we wanted to, there was no way to get to the houses - not even by boat. That 72 hour kit might just be for use in your home.

5. If you're a ham radio operator and you plan to help, please don't show up ill-equipped to do your job, and don't expect us to have anything you need to get on the air. Also don't expect to go home 4 hours after you arrive. The first person we had was useless and we sent that person packing, as they were taking up valuable space and breathing our useful air though their mouth. The next person was GREAT! He was a skilled, excellent communicator, and was always on top of things. He slept at the station with all of us and was as much a member of our fire company as anyone else.

6. Don't expect things to work without maintaining them, We spent a huge chunk of time on April 3rd testing and re-testing our equipment, changing the oil in trash pumps, checking o-rings on suction lines, checking and re-checking first aid kids and so forth. Although we check our equipment regularly, we still found small repairs needed, This paid off. During the floods, we had 2 marine rescue calls and 3 fire calls, and one civilian showing up at the station with a serious laceration and large loss of blood, while at the same time having to deal with evacuations, road closures and incident management. The last thing we needed was to have gear that was not ready to go.

7. Things break. Despite the effort to test things beforehand, we still had equipment downtime. Even the best gear breaks. Have backups.

8. Ask for help. We had help from fire departments that were 35 miles away from ours. We got equipment from the National Guard. We rented a 2,500 gallon per minute pump to clear a flooded field (14 million gallons of water in that pump-out job - took 9 hours). There's lots of help if you need it, just ask, You can't do it alone.

9. People Get Hot. We had state police around more than once as tempers flared when we closed roads. After being verbally assaulted more than once while manning a roadblock, it occurred to me that the reason the National Guard is called out in longer term disaster situations like these isn't just for their big trucks and heavy equipment. It's because the people with those trucks and heavy equipment carry M-16's and MP5's.

10. Fuel and Water. Need I say more? We stockpiled lots of both - we used lots of both.

That's all for now. Any questions gladly answered.

#39688 - 04/11/05 12:11 PM Re: Delaware River Flood Lessons Learned
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Sorry to hear you had problems with your first ham, and glad to hear the 2nd worked out! I'd LOVE a more detailed AAR (no names needed - more like what the first guy forgot) so I can share it with MY team, so we don't make the same mistakes. I tell my guys "Bring EVERYTHING you MIGHT need, including your own food and water - don't be a drag on the system"
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#39689 - 04/11/05 02:16 PM Re: Delaware River Flood Lessons Learned
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I have a couple of questions that will help with my own planning.

I assume that most people in the affected area were without power, but what about phones, including cell phones and email?

From your previous posts, I gather that drinking water was critical since most wells were tainted? Was the water beyond the point where purification would do the job? Was it chemically tainted as well?

Thanks, Vince

Edited by norad45 (04/11/05 02:24 PM)

#39690 - 04/11/05 07:16 PM Re: Delaware River Flood Lessons Learned
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Quote:
I assume that most people in the affected area were without power, but what about phones, including cell phones and email?

Power actually stayed ON for most of this one - until the waters receded and the local power utility pulled the meters on all homes that were submerged. That made people unhappy. Phones still worked, cell phones barely work around here in NORMAL weather, they were as unrealiable as usual this time.

Quote:
From your previous posts, I gather that drinking water was critical since most wells were tainted? Was the water beyond the point where purification would do the job? Was it chemically tainted as well?

Still is critical. Many wells could be purified by dumping a gallon of belach down the well and running the pump for a while. This was the case with simple coliform contamination. The real problem is the thousands and thousands of gallons of home heating oil the went into the wells also. Not to mention all the chemical crud that came out of basements and garages.

It will be a long time before water from the well is drinkable again - if ever.

#39691 - 04/11/05 11:26 PM Re: Delaware River Flood Lessons Learned
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
Just how deep is the average well in that area?

I recall seeing an episode of "This Old House" where they drilled 700 feet to reach a sufficient volume of water to supply the new house that was being built. I find it hard to believe that surface flooding of the area could seep through 700 feet and contaminate a well.

Is the problem due to old regulations that were not strict enough? I have read on the web that one part of proper well digging involves injecting hydraulic cement into the sleeve surrounding the water carrying pipe to a certain depth and then capping the surrounding surface of the pipe sleeve to a certain diameter and height above the ground with cement.

If the homeowners had flood insurance, couldn't a contaminated shallow well be written off as a total loss and have the insurance pay for drilling a new deeper well? It seems reasonable and logical.

I would think in an area that is prone to flooding, there would be one way valves that do not allow backflow contaminating the well.

Good luck!

Bountyhunter

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.