Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35880 - 01/01/05 07:20 AM Heading into NYC tomarrow, what should I take?
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Going to NYC with friends tomarrow. Being I don't know NYC's laws, what should I or shouldn't I take?

#35881 - 01/01/05 08:04 AM Re: Heading into NYC tomarrow, what should I take?
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
A detour. I'd advise avoiding it completely.

But if you gotta you gotta. I would say carry and dress as your normal EDC. Except for any large sharps. They tend yo get a bit sticky there about them.

If you atre interested in defence here are some imrovised weapon with the city in mind.

The thing to remember about improvised weapons is they are just that. Weapons are created from objects that come to hand. Remember if you construct a weapon example the length of hose filled with nuts and bolts or the old biker trick of a belt made of chain that is worn outside the belt loops and the police become involved it's still a weapon and you may go to jail.

If on the other hand use what comes to hand in self-defense it's not a weapon. The object is merely something you picked up. Now if you do want to carry a concealed improvised weapon construct something that appears normal but is effective.

Example a small leather draw string pouch filled with change. This is merely your way of carrying change the makes one heck of a blackjack. If equipped with longer strings as a flail.

Loose change or a change purse can be thrown as a distraction. The loose change will thrown at the face will cause anyone to duck aside and raise their hands to protect the eyes. Giving you a few seconds to gain a couple of extra steps to flee or an opening to attack. A change purse about the size of a fist is the same as a rock. Traveling at 30 or 40 miles an hour can definitely leave an impression.

Also a can of cayenne pepper with a loose lid. The active ingredient in cayenne pepper is the ingredient used in pepper spray. This is if pepper spray is illegal in your area. A face full of cayenne will drop almost anyone. Home made pepper spray. Cayenne in alcohol out of a squeeze bottle.

There is always the can of coke in a sock for the frequent flyer. Or if you are worried about the metal can a water bottle works just as well. What screener would disallow a common pack as a carry on with a change of cloths including fresh socks and a plastic bottle full of water? Combined makes a decent black jack.

A tightly rolled magazine is a stick. What is paper made out of, “wood” of course?

Canes or hiking staff are self-explanatory. You have a weak knee so need the support.

Take a cap. The old fashion flat driving hats work best. Place several ounces of lead sinkers in the back. Add a small bag of hooks and some fishing line. Hey it is emergency fishing tackle. Grabbed by the bill and slapped smartly across the face of an assailant. Said person will be very surprised when they wake up.

A roll of change held in the fist. It is just spare change. But it definitely increases the impact. A double A mini flashlight can serve the same function. When using these types of items the most effective strike is to hit like a hammer so the hand load hits. A straight punch can hurt the fingers.

Does anyone remember the old Bic commercial where they fired the pen out of a rifle through a pine board? Sure the plastic shattered but the point remained intact. You now have a stabbing weapon.

Then along the same lines are the rat tailed combs and brushes. They can poke quit a nasty hole. And does any of the older crowd remember the fro picks from the 60’s and 70’s. Back then there were places that outlawed them as a concealed weapon, especially the metal tined ones, because they were being used effectively as one.

A 12-inch steel drafting ruler makes a nasty slashing weapon. Two things don’t sharpen or wrap part of it as a handle. Both scream a prepared weapon. You are slashing not slicing. Add some graph or drawing paper to your clipboard along with drawing or drafting pencils as cover.

A clipboard can be used as a shield to deflect an attack. It can also be used to strike edge on.

The list could go on and on. The ideal concealed weapon is not a weapon at all. Just a common ordinary object that can be used as such. So forget the fancy ninja and oriental fighting weapons. Most of those were common everyday farm implements not weapons back then. With the exception of the cap fishing kit and the homemade pepper spray all are normal but effective tools.

These are objects that you could carry among many others. Then there are environmental objects to consider. These can be found anywhere from the country to the city. All it really takes is the proper mindset to realize their potential. It truly amazes me that airport screening is so concerned about such trivial things like nail clippers. The world is full of weapons you jut have to reach out and use them.

Most government buildings where the rules are the strictest are loaded. Most have those lightweight plastic and bent rod chairs. You could easily beat someone silly with them. Now days almost every place has drop ceilings. T shaped tracks made of metal supports these. While the main runners are long the cross supports usually 2 or 4 feet long. They are not real heavy so don’t hit like a baseball bat they will cause some damage because of speed. The ends are somewhat pointy and could be used as a stabbing weapon.

Rocks, bottles, chunks of bricks, whatever as impact or thrown weapons.

A piece of pipe or a stick is rather obvious.

A trash can lid is both a defensive device and a weapon. Back in the days of the knights of old the shield number one job was to deflect the opponents weapons but was also used effectively to bash flat into someone or smash with the edge. While the old metal can lids are the best especially when turned to offensive strikes the plastic ones will deflect a strike.

The next time you are sitting around cooling your heels waiting for an appointment take a couple of minutes and look around. What is lying about loose and how it could be used. What can you pry from the walls or ceiling that could be used to slash, poke or swat with. Or the same walking down the street. After a few times of doing this deliberately it is amazing how easily it becomes seeing the myriad of objects that surround you that can be used to portect yourself.

Remember anything you deliberately carried for self-defense as long as it has a legitimate purpose the police can ignore it as a weapon. But if it appears to be a contrived weapon you could be in a whole lot of trouble. Do not fancy up or improve the object to make it more lethal. Learn how to use it effectively as it comes out of the box. If it screams weapon you will be looked on as the aggressor not the victim. If you win you will be looked at hard enough as it is. In this current PC world they will give the poor unfortunate criminal the benefit of the doubt. You as the victim defending yourself is considered in a bad light to begin with throw in a weapon or anything prepared as a WEAPON. Well you get the picture. Learn to use the world around you.

Remember C. Y. A. just in case.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#35882 - 01/01/05 11:04 AM Re: Heading into NYC tomarrow, what should I take?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Keep your bladewear under 4" and with a single edge only. Pepper spray is legal as long as you aren't a former convicted felon or person convicted of any domestic violence statute...

M

#35883 - 01/01/05 08:34 PM Re: Heading into NYC tomarrow, what should I take?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
One of your most effective weapons is your feet. Forget going for a guy's genitals or eyes, those are the first two things they protect.

Turn edgewise to an attacker & kick out sideways. Do your best to slam your heel into their kneecap. A leg that folds backwards really keeps your attacker from continuing. If he turns, a kick to the outside of his leg at the knee is just as effective.

Sue

#35884 - 01/02/05 03:09 AM Re: Heading into NYC tomarrow, what should I take?
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
As an ex-manhattan resident, and the Guy Who Knows New York and Can Tell You Where To Go...
0. Good walking shoes.
1. Bottle of water or two
2. A cheap digital camera + spare batteries
3. A flashlight & Whistle (you should always have that anyway)
4. A pocket knife - any under 4"
5. Pepper Spray
6. A red bandanna
7. A small radio

As far as crime - relax. NYC has more cops on the street than anywere in the USA. It's a full-bore police state, like Singapore. As a result,
NY is safer than Indianapolis Indiana, Phoenix Arizona and just about any other million + sized city. Of course, your civil liberties are limited to being able to put on offensive plays and publishing offensive magazines, but they seem to like that OK in NYC these days.

Don't forget to stop in at Arturo's for good italian food - Houston Street @ Thompson, right there on the corner. Also consider The Noho Star - on Bleeker Street - get the ginger ale, it's a treat.

Also, I'd suggest avoiding the over-priced and underwhelming South Street Seaport, instead, go to the rather entertaining and interesting Chinatown.

The tree is still up - 51st and 6th Ave and the store windows are still all done up. A walk on 57th street is always a trip.

Enjoy, it's a pretty great place, I loved living there when it made sense for me.

#35885 - 01/02/05 11:44 PM Re: Heading into NYC tomarrow, what should I take?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im all for self defence, but always remember prevention over cure. NY is not as violent as it was in the 70's and 80's and a little common sence can go a long ways to ensuring the safety of self and family. Don't walk around at night, don't provoke people, don't go into areas with a bad reputation. anyway, thats just my 2 cents.

#35886 - 01/13/05 09:43 PM Re: Heading into NYC tomarrow, what should I take?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Can we appear TOO prepared for our own good?

We went to NYC about a year after 9/11 to see a play. I stashed some protective gear on my person, but a member of my family caught sight of it. I didn't stash it very well.

This person said I deserved to get hauled off to jail. I looked as though I was PLANNING for something bad to happen because I was TOO prepared.

To my mind, I was simply trying to be prepared. Fear won out, however, and I ended up going with almost nothing.

I have gotten much better at this sort of thing now, but has anyone ever been singled out for undesired attention because of being too prepared?

-- Craig

#35887 - 01/13/05 11:43 PM Re: Heading into NYC tomarrow, what should I take?
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Well, I have had a few funny glances when people take a look at my key ring with flashlight, firestarter, SAK, Leatherman Squirt, whistle, vial of water purify tabs, etc...

It's funny though, because the worst thing anyone ever says is something like: "What are you, some kind of Boy Scout or something?" If that's the worst people say, I think I'm doing ok. (Of course, at 40something, I probably don't look like a scout anymore, but, I am a leader in our local troop.)

It has worked the other way though. Once people start to know that you are "equipped", they start to assume you'll have anything. At sporting events with kids, if someone needs an ice pack, FAK, whatever, they start looking for my car. It's not such a bad reputation to have. I wouldn't change my behavior due to social pressure. Those will be the same folks begging for your assistance when something does go wrong.

- Ron

#35888 - 01/14/05 02:28 PM Re: Heading into NYC tomarrow, what should I take?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Agreed.

An office acquaintance once asked what I had under my shirt. My EDC lanyard was bulging through.

I showed them. When they said what the heck is that, I replied it was my boy scout rig and that I was just an overgrown kid who likes his toys.

A few humorous comments were made, but that was it.

#35889 - 01/15/05 12:02 AM Re: Heading into NYC tomarrow, what should I take?
turbo Offline

Loc: Oregon
When someone asks "What is that bulge under your shirt?" I always reply, "That is my asafetida bag." Then I ask if they have any fresh garlic as mine seams to have lost its potency. Then I walk away leaving them bewildered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.