The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#31479 - 09/07/04 02:26 PM Generators
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Does anyone know of a good site for generator accessories and supplies? I have a Honda EM5000S that got its first real usage this weekend following a direct hit by Frances. I am looking for specialized connection cables, GFIs, and distribution blocks.

The following is an shamless plug for Honda generators. I do not work for Honda, standard disclaimers apply, YMMV:

Damn, Honda makes a great product. I have been bad, really bad. I have not tested my generator for over 3 1/2 years. The generator is 6 years old. I did empty out the tank by running it dry and sprayed WD40 in the tank to keep it from rusting prior to storage. I poured fresh gasoline in it after having been without power for 12 hours, turned the key, turned on the gas valve, pulled out the choke, and gave the starter cord a half-assed pull. That puppy started right up without as much as a miss or cough. Ran perfectly for 10 straight hours on a tank of gas. I am very impressed. I would recommend this product to anyone.

Best wishes.

Craig
Jupiter, FL

#31480 - 09/07/04 02:35 PM Re: Generators
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Last year when my old mower kicked the bucket, I found out that Sears had a new Craftsman mower with a Honda engine. No need to think about that! The best motor, on a lawnmower from a company with the best service.

#31481 - 09/07/04 03:41 PM Re: Generators
groo Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Florida
Sorry, have no idea where to get parts. But I do have a question. :-)

I haven't run my generator yet (one of the lucky, lucky few whose power didn't go out this time), so I don't know whether to believe the manual or not. It says I'll get 9.1 hours out of an 8 gallon tank at full load (6kW). I'm guessing it'll be even longer at less than full load. That seems like a really long time for 8 gallons of gas. How big is your tank, and do you know how much power you're putting out?

(I don't know where to get the special connectors, but I bought a 10 guage 100 ft extension cord and a portable GFCI at a place called "MegaTools". Looks like a contractor supply kind of place. I'll bet Home Depot or Lowes will have that kind of stuff.)

#31482 - 09/07/04 09:53 PM Re: Generators
groo Offline
Old Hand

You may want to pick up a hand crank "liquid transfer pump". I got mine at Ace Hardware. It was about $30. I've found it to be incredibly useful. I use it to fill up my gas cans from the car instead of taking the cans to the station, and it'll also let you safely use fuel from your vehicles (no siphoning).

It sounds extreme, but I like the fact that I can fill the gas cans without people knowing I'm doing it. Gas is currently hard to find and lots of people are without power. I'd rather not advertise the fact that I'm buying more gas than I need for my car to take home to my generator. :-)

#31483 - 09/07/04 10:00 PM Re: Generators
celler Offline
Addict

I'm getting about 10 hours from 5 gallons.

I like the "liquid transfer pump" idea. Is it cranked manually or via an electric drill. I could see where the electric drill cranked one could be an issue. My Dewalt 18 -volt hammer drill kicks out a big arc every time I crank her up.

Thanks for the good ideas. We Floridians must stick together in this time of crisis.

Best wishes.

Craig.

Jupiter, FL

#31484 - 09/07/04 10:33 PM Re: Generators
groo Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
Is it cranked manually or via an electric drill.

Manual. I can't see inside, but I think there are some rollers squeezing a tube. Turning the crank moves the rollers and pumps the fluid. Reminds me of a hand cranked fuel pump I had for R/C airplanes.

It's a little slow, but it gets the job done.

#31485 - 09/08/04 03:55 AM Re: Generators
celler Offline
Addict

Thanks for the information. One lesson learned from this experience is that you cannot have enough gasoline on hand. That's a bit of an overstatement as you must weigh the balance of having a quantity of a flammable liquid in your house with your situation. However, this is day 3 after the hurricane and few gas stations are operational. The ones that are have unbelieveable lines and run out within a couple of hours. Purchases have been restricted to filling your vehicle tank and one, repeat one, container.

If my power had not been restored Sunday night, I don't know how long I could have kept my food from spoiling on 10 gallons. I was running the generator for 4 hours, then off for 10-12 as it was -- making sure I recharged everything that needed it during the on times.

Anyway, I've learned lots of lessons. I need a chainsaw. I need more gas cans. I need a wet-dry vac.

Other planning went well. Amature radio was a godsend. When the power went down, I still had direct contact with emergency net control in my part of the county, the county EOC, and the fire department down the street. All were on a local repeater and reachable, if necessary. I also heard traffic from the local shelters and could make decisions as to when to head to the safe room. Sure, I guess a portable AM radio would have given me some of the same information, but it was a great feeling knowing that we were not alone.

I'm happy to share my experience to anyone who needs information. Just PM me.

Best wishes.

Craig.

#31486 - 09/08/04 06:43 AM Re: Generators
Anonymous
Unregistered

Craig, just out of curiosity, did the local repeater you are referring to "make it through the storm" or was it a tactical repeater that was put up (and into operation) after the storm passed?

Thanks much for your response.

#31487 - 09/08/04 12:23 PM Re: Generators
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I happened to be visiting FL (in Tampa) up until Saturday. We constantly checked the weather via the weather channel, but I was severly disturbed by the lack of radio information. We found only one AM station that was broadcasting what I would consider a relevant amount of information. There were no FM stations doing anything else other than what they normally do. A weather channel re-broadcast (voice only) would be nice, as would having a weather band RX and the maps to plot the storm.

Bill

#31488 - 09/08/04 12:58 PM Re: Generators
celler Offline
Addict

Quote:
Craig, just out of curiosity, did the local repeater you are referring to "make it through the storm" or was it a tactical repeater that was put up (and into operation) after the storm passed?

The repeater was the 146.625 machine on the tower behind Fire Station 14 in Jupiter Farms. I've viewed the installation and it looks like it would weather most storms. Its about 100' feet up on a 150' tower that is sturdy and well guyed. Interestingly, Net Control kept broadcasting the frequency of a backup repeater if that one got taken out. It never did.

Quote:
There were no FM stations doing anything else other than what they normally do. A weather channel re-broadcast (voice only) would be nice, as would having a weather band RX and the maps to plot the storm.

All our broadcast FM stations simulcast local TV stations when the storm came in. The reporters tried to realize this and "visualize" what they were saying. Since they were TV reporters and not radio reporters, this was a little awkward for them. I am likely going to add a better battery operated TV to my hurricane supplies. The problem is that I have not found one that doesn't suck batteries like . . . well like . . . well, insert your own analogy.

Best wishes.

Craig.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Eugene), 482 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.