Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#30331 - 08/15/04 04:15 PM Emergency Bag ("BOB") material sources
JoeT Offline
Stranger

Hi folks,

I'm putting together my emergency bags, and there's a few things I'm looking for that I could use some advice on.

First, I'd like a dust mask that would provide a reasonable amount of protection in an emergency that causes a lot of property damage -- earthquake that causes fires, terrorist attack, etc. Obviously, there will be soot in the air, possibly asbestos and other building materials, etc. I'm not looking for a full-blown gas mask or respirator. It's just to get through a debris type cloud, or if circumstances allow, for me to stick around a few hours to help. This is for my small car bag, so I'm looking for some small paper masks. The first question is, do any of the paper respirators provide enough protection that they're worth getting? I think the answer is yes, and if so, do you have any specific recommendations? Cost and size are the main concerns here.

Second, I'd like to get a few light rain ponchos, the type that fold very tightly (again, my car bag is small). I'm not talking about living off the land in a torrential downpour, just some added comfort for a day or two while I get my family to wherever we're going. These don't have to be super durable, just last a couple of days, and fold tightly.

Lastly, medical supplies. There are a few things you can get in a pre-made medical kit (like from Adventure) that I can't seem to find otherewise. For example, the Tempa-Dot type disposable thermometers -- I can find them, but only in packages of 100. Ditto the single-dose packages of Tylenol, Motrin, etc. -- available in packages of 100, but no smaller. Any helpful supply houses break them up, so we can buy them in lots of 5 or 10? No big deal about hte medicines (probably makes more sense just to take some from my current home bottle and just label them with expiration date), but I sure wouldn't mind getting some of those disposable thermometers.

thanks!

Joe

#30332 - 08/15/04 04:30 PM Re: Emergency Bag ("BOB") material sources
Anonymous
Unregistered

On Respirators:

Whatever you get, the standard required by my EMT School for medical particulates is a NIOSH N95, which can be had at Home Depot. If you want to go higher the P100 rated masks are significantly more expensive (like, 10.00 each) but they filter smaller. For debris, something lightweight and cheap, the N95 rated mask is the way to go...properly fitted. Facial hair will screw you at the points where the mask contacts your face, just to be noted.

We found our rainsuits on Ebay. Everybody sells everything on Ebay. We try not to be junkies but that's just where stuff is.

As far as medications...

We buy small pill-bottles from American Science and Surplus and just put the regular bulk medications in them. Either that or miniature ziploc bags from the swap meet (We won't speculate as to what other people do with these) can be used for a single or double dosage of the medication of your choice. This makes the most sense logistically, especially if you're smart and writing your expiration dates on the outside; That way you can ensure your stock is rotated, and if you use it, you can replenish it from an already existing master supply without paying some company for packaging.

Something Sarah and I have learned is logistical compatibility from Master Storage down to Bugout Bag. EVERYTHING is refillable. Disposables, while convenient, are only of limited utility and generate waste; Plus once they are no longer functional, something else new must be acquired to replace it.

There are pros and cons to the 1-use-disposable theory vs. multi-use-refillable theory. But when you're maintaining a logistical supply chain from Master Storage, to Bug Out Vehicle, down to Bug Out Bag, refillable makes more sense.

Panz

#30333 - 08/15/04 11:52 PM Re: Emergency Bag ("BOB") material sources
JoeT Offline
Stranger

Thanks, I'll look for those masks. Might consider the 100s.

I found some very cheap "disposable" ponchos, which are just fine for what I need. I have better rain gear in my main bag.

And I think I agree about the meds, I'll just put them somewhere and label the expiration dates. I pretty much decided I'd go through my bag each time the clock needs to be reset for daylight savings time, looking for expired stuff. That's twice a year, which should be often enough

#30334 - 08/16/04 02:04 AM Re: Emergency Bag ("BOB") material sources
Anonymous
Unregistered

A suggestion for medicines that are almost about to expire - as long as they are in the origional packaging, find a free clinic and donate them. Unless it is an antibiotic with a short shelf life, this will make the purchase and rotation of meds , if not cost effective, socially responsible.

Many clinics will take things even past the listed expiration if the bottle is not open.

Rena

#30335 - 08/16/04 06:23 AM Re: Emergency Bag ("BOB") material sources
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
well for cheap ponchos you can always check the local 99 cent or $1 stores.

and for the packets of medicine just look online for wholesalers for those boxes you see in supermarkets (2 or so tylenol per packet etc).

if all else fails see your doc and ask for a bunch of samples of X medicines, my doc gave me a box of samples before when i asked for some.

#30336 - 08/16/04 05:48 PM Re: Emergency Bag ("BOB") material sources
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hey Joe (Same Joe T. on CPF?),

Regarding masks, I am thinking about that for my kit as well. Currently I've had the N95 masks, but I was thinking about adding a couple that have the charcoal filter in them as well. Maybe two charcoal and three N95s.

I suspect the charcoal aren't as good as a real resperator, but it could help if there is nasty stuff in the air. As for the 100s, I'm not sure it would be needed for dust or shoot. I suspect all that stuff is pretty big.

For what it's worth, I keep a half mask resperator in my trunk with NIB cartridges as well as dust-only inserts. The only rub is that in an earthquake, my car is likely to be a pancake since it's in a parking garage. A full mask would be better, but they are pretty pricey.

I don't know how warrented, but I've avoided the AOL Safey brand that seem to be in all the home centers and stuck with the 3M brand. You can find them in paint stores usually. Also, you can get them in silicon which is wonderful stuff. Soft and durable.

-john

Edited by JohnN (08/16/04 05:49 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (jds, Eugene), 544 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.