The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21709 - 11/20/03 09:56 PM Wheeled Bags/Containers
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I've been looking for awhile trying to find a "tub" or bag that has wheels on it.

It has to have a nice big sturdy handle for pulling, and big sturdy wheels. Not the kind of wheels that would be relagated to the airport. Can be hard or soft, preferable hard sided. If its "soft", durable material. Would be nice to have a second handle for lifting. Preferably lockable.

Any suggestions? I looked at all the stores around here, and only found a cooler that looked similar, but was a little thick on the sides, and reduced the available room on the inside.

Edited to add: The ones I see alot have little roller skate wheels, wanted wheels bigger than that.

Edited by ki4buc (11/20/03 09:59 PM)

#21710 - 11/20/03 11:07 PM Re: Wheeled Bags/Containers
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I gotta run, so this will be short.
Consider a folding hand truck. I have one from when I played with ocean going boats. Check west marine web page. Not cheap, but folds into a small package (about 26"x 15" x2" if my estimate is correct) and holds in excess of 200 lbs. I once pulled the engine from my boat and hauled it about half a mile over gravel to my truck. No problem (huff puff), Large wheels, very strong.

Still have it tucked in the camper and we use it a lot.

I will try to track down a url, but it might be a few days.

#21711 - 11/21/03 12:33 AM Re: Wheeled Bags/Containers
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Black and Decker make a toolchest that has wheels on one end and an extendable handle on the other. The wheels might be a bit small for what you want, but they're definitely bigger and sturdier than roller-skate wheels (I'd say about a 4" diameter, maybe 2" in width). I bought mine at Rona in Calgary.

#21712 - 11/21/03 04:29 AM Re: Wheeled Bags/Containers
Eugene Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

You can get various levels of quality in luggage, some more sturdy than others. Other sources are small folding hund truck types that are designed to haul luggage as well. Then there are small "filing cabinet" types that are for salesman to carry catalogs and papers. The last two are available at office supply stores. Also look at hardware stores and sears in the tool section, there are vasious wheeled toolboxes like that as well. I'm going to pick up one of those tool boxes for all my cordless stuff soon.

#21713 - 11/21/03 09:04 AM Re: Wheeled Bags/Containers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would consider something like the Magna Cart and some bungie cord and a decent cordura duffle or perhaps this

#21714 - 11/21/03 11:54 AM Re: Wheeled Bags/Containers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pharmaceutical sales reps often use a similar carrier, and the company provides them free to the rep. If you know anyone who is in this line of work, they might give you a freebie to try out.

#21715 - 11/21/03 01:40 PM Re: Wheeled Bags/Containers
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
The Magna Cart that MiniMe describes is the cart that I refer to above. It is my choice for a bug out carrier. Been using mine hard for over 6 years now.

#21716 - 11/21/03 01:43 PM Re: Wheeled Bags/Containers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also, Wally world has a knock version of this. I saw it the other day, didn't buy it so I can't give a review. It is probably as good a knock off as wally world is known for (middling to poor is the usual) but it does give you a decent impression of how the folding cart type thing works functionaly and if you are looking for something in budget this might work for a while before it broke

#21717 - 11/21/03 06:18 PM Re: Wheeled Bags/Containers
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

ki4buc,

Is this container going to be used for an evac or bug-out scenario? If so, I'm of the opinion that if I can't carry it out and still be hands-free, I'm not going to carry it in those situations. I think a large, top-loading internal frame backpack is best for this, with an extra-large GI duffle with backpack straps being second. I'm probably making an assumption, however, and you're looking for something to haul tools around the homestead like I do.

#21718 - 11/22/03 11:31 PM Re: Wheeled Bags/Containers
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
The idea is more for storing all of the supplies that would be needed for an extended stay in a shelter doing emergency communications for amateur radio. I have a couple of big rubbermaid tubs, but securing them to a hand cart would allow them to possibly fall off. I wanted it complete contained.

As for the toolboxes on wheels, I did see those, but their storage area is not as big as I would like.

The cooler I was talking about looks like this. Go down to the "coleman" ice chest.

This seems to be sortof what I'm looking for. Bigger wheels would be nice, like on the outside.

Edit to add:

Another site for the Pelican Watertight Cases: Here

Edited to add: Sent an email to Pelican. Basically asked for a new line of storage cases with 6" or larger external wheels. Also asked about a custom job.

Edited by ki4buc (11/23/03 12:05 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.