Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#26167 - 03/23/04 12:26 AM Leatherman Wave Sharpening/Holding an Edge Problem
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I recently spent a considerable amount of time slowly getting my leatherman Wave knife sharp enough to be useful in butchering some poulty. Much to my dismay, it seems that the knife really can't hold an edge for more than about 1/4 of the job, and a simple honing does not really bring the blade back to a decent edge, I have to re-sharpen it as if it has seen really hard use. I use one of those "V" shape ceramic sharpeners, which works fine, but maybe that's why the edge does not hold? I'd love some advice.

#26168 - 03/23/04 01:02 AM Re: Leatherman Wave Sharpening/Holding an Edge Problem
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Martin,

You mean like crock sticks or one of those thingies you drag the blade through? If the later, my guess is that the stainless steel is tearing and you're not really getting a good edge.

Having said that... I don't think my Leatherman takes that great of an edge; just OK. And (no surprise), it needed to be worked over pretty hard once the factory edge wore off. It doesn't take too much to keep it sharpened now. See Jimbo's article here and cruise one of the knife forums like knifeforums or bladeforums - some great sharpening info there. Here's one article and here's another.

HTH,

Tom

Edited by AyersTG (03/23/04 01:37 AM)

#26169 - 03/23/04 01:57 AM Re: Leatherman Wave Sharpening/Holding an Edge Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't know about the wave blade, but I've had great luck with pocket ceramics in the past, in my experience, if the blade's good and will hold an edge, ceramic sharpeners are just fine.

Try giving it (the blade in question) a pass or two through the ceramic sharpener in between every few cuts and see if that helps. Or, you could break down and get a blade more suited to the job (no offence meant). I've had unbelievable performance from a folding filet knife I got at Wal-mart several years back, NorMark is the brand name. I got my first one about ten years ago and it's still going strong (usually carried in my back pocket and used for any food use; steak knife, boning knife, filet knife, veggy peeler, game cleaning, etc.). I was so impressed with it that I got my Dad one for his birthday one year (he's as picky about fine cutlery as it gets) then decided to get myself a back-up, which I haven't used yet because my original is still with me and doing just fine.

Sorry the advice got a little long winded, sometimes I get carried away about something that performs that good.

Troy

#26170 - 03/23/04 11:23 AM Re: Leatherman Wave Sharpening/Holding an Edge Problem
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi,

Just wait until July and then get the improved Wave or the other Titanium handled Leatherman as they will have 154CM blades, these should be able to hold a decent edge and also sharpen to a a good "sharpness".

Best Scouting wishes,

Bagheera

#26171 - 03/23/04 10:02 PM Re: Leatherman Wave Sharpening/Holding an Edge Problem
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
One thing I can suggest is the Wave isn't good with razor edges, if you use a lower grit stone to finish it it will usually hold a good rough edge. Stay above about 350 grit.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 298 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.