Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#25269 - 03/01/04 04:14 PM For doctors: iodine and thyroid
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
I just read Cody Lundin's new book, and he recommended using tincture of iodine (what does "tincture" mean?) for purifying water.

My wife has thyroid problem and is on a steady diet of 125mg of synthroid every day. Would there be any problem with her having water purified with iodine? Does this apply just to "tincture" or does this include ALL iodine-base water treatments?

If there is a problem, should I use bleach instead for her? What is the theory here? What does iodine have to do with the thyroid?

Thanks in advance...

#25270 - 03/04/04 04:23 AM Re: For doctors: iodine and thyroid
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Tincture of iodine is 1-5% Iodine, 1-5% Sodium Iodide in an alcoholic solution with water.

The free iodine content is what is used to purify water. This is compared to providone iodine which contains 10% iodine. The concentration only means that less is used to puritfy the same amount of water.

Actually, iodine is food for the thyroid. The iodine is required to produce thyroxine. In areas where there is a lack of iodine, there is a large incidence of goitre and hypothyroidism in infants which leads to mental retardation, hence the introduction of iodized salt into diet. However chronic excess intake of iodine will lead to iodism - headaches, salivation, skin rash,weakness etc.

An amount of 8mg of iodine per liter is required for purification. Ok you chem guys help me out here. How many drops of providone iodine or tincture of iodine will give 8mg per liter ?

As for your wife's thyroid condtion, I can surmise that she is hypothyroid because she is on synthroid. Hypothyroidism may be because of thyroid infection, autoimmune damage, surgery, radioiodine therapy etc. The iodine on short term use will not cause any untoward damage. The patient already is on thyroxine replacement which means that there is already very little functioning thyroid tissue.

In general, short term use is OK. Not for more that a few weeks definately. Of course if you have other alternatives available, use them e.g. chlorine based, boiling, filtering etc.

Of course, consult your own physician / endocrinologist for further advice with regards to her exact thyroid condition, this information should not be used to diagnose, treat or form the basis for instituting any treatment, procedure or otherwise without first consulting your own physician.

#25271 - 03/04/04 03:52 PM Re: For doctors: iodine and thyroid
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks for the info. It is good to know that it would be OK for a day or two.

My wife needed to go on synthroid after giving birth to our first child. She is only 35 now.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 527 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.