Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#21326 - 11/14/03 01:17 AM What lighter?
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
I currently have a simple Zippo lighter it is ok but it tends to leak out fuel and when i need to use it ( not every moment.) Also it is simi-Windproof and takes a while to dry out tinder or start a quick fire in wet tinder. There is nothing defective about my Zippo but it is just not enough.
I have been searching for a windproof lighter that will work at elevations from 900-7,000 feet and I don't want to pay an arm and a leg ($70+). The windmill was my first choice but i don't know if it will work at my elevation. I would much much rather pay $12 for a Solo Storm but is it as good as the Windmill?
I narrowed my choices down to these two but if there are any other better lighters please inform me.

#21327 - 11/14/03 01:48 AM Re: What lighter?
widget Offline
Addict

I carry a Scripto butane and use it to light a fire in ideal conditions. If there is wet wood and tinder to be lit, I use cotton balls, wax paper and a Swedish Firesteel. Forget the cig lighter!
Once a friend and I took all the so called "Fire Starters" we had accumulated over the years on a little experimental trip in the wilderness. It was raining, we were travelling light and did not carry a stove. We had intended to try out all the firestarters that we had and we did just that. After we had exhausted every little "TinderDry" and "FireSticks" and whatever else we had, we looked in our pockets for the next option. It was either get a fire going or go hungry that first evening. In my pocket I had lots of Starburst candy wrappers and we also came up with some lint. The lint lit instantly with an old MetalMatch and the waxed paper wrappers burned hot enough and long enough to get the wet kindling going and we had a nice fire in short order! since that time, I have carried a 35mm film container with wax paper balls and cotton balls and a spark producing device, lately a Kershaw Fire Steel. Works like a charm! Hope that helps you some!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 541 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.