Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#17687 - 07/11/03 02:28 PM New Here Today- Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am looking for a survival site & landed here. Does this site focus on full time, family type survival camp setup or just a pop-up tent type romp in the woods?

#17688 - 07/11/03 02:43 PM Re: New Here Today- Questions
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Explore the site and forums, IMHO is the best way for you to get a feel and form your own opinions of the site. I would venture to say both the site and forums are as diverse in coverage of survival, camping, hiking, first aid and numerous other topics as there are members. Members come from all over the world, have different needs, experiences and advise, making this one great place to hang out. Doug has provided us all with a valuable resource. Hang around and I know you will both enjoy and learn from the members. Pete

#17689 - 07/11/03 02:43 PM Re: New Here Today- Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

#17690 - 07/11/03 03:03 PM Re: New Here Today- Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tnx for post. I am not a hard core doom & gloom survivalism type, however I am looking for an independent living/survival type site.
I have a mini farm being set up for long term self-sufficiency that is removed from the main stream in northern MI. I have noticed the area does have folk with common interests like myself. I consider an urban environment absolutely unsuitable for a survival/self-sufficient set up. My farm is quickly headed for not needing any outside utilities to function. I also wish to share knowledge on how to perform this with greatest possible reliability thru new & old technology.

#17691 - 07/11/03 03:18 PM Re: New Here Today- Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

The survival links on this site may be helpful. I have found the Rocky Mountain Survival Group, Frugal Squirrels, Hoods Woods[url=, and [url=http://www.th...er Ricks Digest to be especially helpful. I also hang out here all the time because the interests, skills and perspectives of the forumites here as well as their polite manner makes this an educational and enjoyable place to hang.

[PERSONAL PERSPECTIVE]

My personal perspective is that a bad day in the woods beats a great day in the office every time. I think that there may come a time when we will face social collapse on larger scale than most of us will be comfortable with and when that day comes I don't really want to be holed up in the woods all alone. For me, survival of civilization is more important than my own individual survival. Sooo, I have become involved in the local volunteer efforts by becoming a volunteer EMT, an emergency communicator Amateur radio operator and active in town politics. As time permits I will become more involved.

I think that it is entirely possible to live primitavely and defend a homestead as a reaction to social collapse. Unfortunately individuals who react this way do nothing to expedite the re-establishment of general order and well being of society. Only by being involved in the maintenance of society do we stand the chance of preventing or mitigating the impact of potential collapse.

[PERSONAL PERSPECTIVE]

#17692 - 07/11/03 03:24 PM Re: New Here Today- Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

My ham call is N8FVJ. Yep, I am a ham also. Modest equipment is Yaesu FT-100D, ICOM IC-207H, & Heathkit Cheyenne/Drake 2C combo for 10M AM & HF CW fun.

#17693 - 07/11/03 03:58 PM Re: New Here Today- Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Still learning the code. I just got started in '01 Still a tech.

In my earlier post I forgot to mention The Plainsmans cabin. Another great site for ideas on the remote living stuff.

#17694 - 07/11/03 11:08 PM Re: New Here Today- Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like you might want to check out www.backwoodshome.com if you're not already familiar with it. It would seem to fit your description of your interests well.

I gather this site was originally focused mostly on the survival concerns of pilots, especially private pilots crossing wild territory. That's in no way a trivial concern, and I wouldn't characterize it as "just a pop-up tent type romp in the woods".

The focus now is a great deal broader, but it may not what you're looking for. It's also not exactly what I would do if I had a site, but it is uniquely valuable exactly for what it is... if not to you, then to many others. My own respect for the people and knowledge here has been deepening for years- and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

You may not be aware of it, but you've already benefited from a unique on-line atmosphere. Your dismissive post would have been instant flamebait on most forums; here you've received patient, measured and helpful responses.

#17695 - 07/12/03 11:27 AM Re: New Here Today- Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm all ears! I need too much outside help for my acceptability level.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.