Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#10623 - 11/20/02 06:52 AM Excellent Re-Useable Heat Source
cyko Offline

Loc: Virginia
I went to the Arizona State fair about two years ago and found this man selling these absolute gems, I believe I paid 7 or 8 dollars US for them each. They are a clear liquid sealed in a thick soft plastic and there is a "button" inside the liquid and when the button is "snapped" a chemical reaction happens and these crystals start to form in the clear liquid. It kinda looks like highly viscous salt water when the reaction is done and it is very plyable in your hand. Now let me tell you, this thing gets HOT, almost to the point to where it burns your skin to the touch (130 degrees Farenheit). It takes about an hour or so for it to cool down and then it hardens. The coolest thing about these things is that you can boil them for about 5 minutes and they return to liquid again! You can re-use it for hundreds of times! Get more info here: http://www.reheater.com You will love these things, I stuck two of them in my MAIN first aid / survival kit and I thought I would share the resource with you all.

#10624 - 11/20/02 11:54 PM Re: Excellent Re-Useable Heat Source
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Welcome to the forum Stephen. Yes reheaters work well, i have had mine for a few years. Although i don't have an excuse to use it very often in Florida. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative Walmart sells a copy, it's orange instead of green, in the sporting goods dept. I have not bought one so i don't know if it is as good as the reheater brand or not.

#10625 - 11/21/02 12:45 AM Re: Excellent Re-Useable Heat Source
cyko Offline

Loc: Virginia
Thanks for the welcome Ray, I know what you mean about not needing a use for them in warmer weather as I am from Houston, TX and now live in Arizona! They are great for an injury, I suppose. When I go camping up north, they can come in handy as well. I will keep an eye out for the WalMart copies, thanks again.

#10626 - 11/21/02 03:06 AM Re: Excellent Re-Useable Heat Source
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
cyko: Generally, for first aid I would discourage the use of heat for any injury unless you specifically know what you're doing. Applying heat to an injury caused by a blow may give short-term relief (hence it's a favourite treatment of athletes) but can cause complications (I believe it causes calcification in the injured area.) <br><br>For hypothermia, warmth should be applied; that can be a problem even in Arizona, especially if the casualty is elderly, ill or in shock.<br><br>In short, I would recommend that heat pads in first aid should be used for keeping a casualty warm, but generally not for treating an injury.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 260 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.