Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9662 - 09/29/02 11:50 PM Survival Story
Anonymous
Unregistered

My work day usually includes a 75 mile drive to an from work through a moutanous deset uninhabitaed by mankind. Since I have equipped myself for most emergencies I didn't feel stressed when disaster struck.<br><br>Earlier that day I had bought a new set of Michelin Agilities for my car. The only mistake I made that day was not checking the air pressure myself before leaving for work. <br><br>On the most barren stretch of road my two front tires suddenly broke their beads sending me into a spin. Unfortunatly this spinning kicked up dirt all around me keeping me from seeing which way the car was turning. Finally after two complete turns I wound up in a ditch beside the road with four flat tires, no passer bys, and no cell phone reception. The weather was about 110 degrees. <br><br>My first instict was to check for any immediate dangers such as injuries or fire. There was none. <br><br>Using what gear I normally carry I was able to establish a small bivoac in case I had to spend the night. <br><br>Using the recovery gear I always carry I was able to pull the vehicle back to road and repair the two rear tire which only needed to be remounted and aired up. Carrying only one spare left me without a working vehicle. <br><br>I had only to grab my urban every-day carry bag to have survived for days or weeks. I knew where the closest farm was and was able to hike in perfect comfort and call for help.<br><br>The moral of this story is you should always have a minimal amount of gear and knowledge with you at all times. Considering my circumstances I felt as if I were on a well equipped camping trip with only what I always carry.

#9663 - 09/30/02 02:26 AM Re: Survival Story
Anonymous
Unregistered

I walk around my car each morning before I get in it. It takes less than 10-15 seconds but it's worth it. (Especially the morning after Hallowe'en! It's surprising what a potato jammed up the exhaust pipe can do!)

#9664 - 09/30/02 03:47 AM Re: Survival Story
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did my usual walk around, but did't take the time to check air-pressure. Tires looked perfectly fine.

#9665 - 10/04/02 01:08 AM Re: Survival Story
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Our local station ran a documentary on "freak" accidents; the man who fell through his outhouse floor, the texas bonfire collapse etc. Monday morning quarterbacking always sees the obvious. We have all "fallen into outhouses." Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you ;O)"

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (10/04/02 01:09 AM)

#9666 - 10/04/02 03:35 AM Outhouse story
Anonymous
Unregistered

The outhouse story was horrible but shows that having a strong will to survive goes a very long way, IMHO.<br><br>The following was snipped from another website:<br><br> On Aug. 12, 2001, 75-year-old Coolidge Winesett of Ivanhoe, Va., fell through the floor of his outhouse and spent four harrowing days in the pit, hanging a few feet above the sewage. He endured flies, a snake that crawled over his head, a rat that looked him in the eyes and the horrible stench. "Lordy, the nights were the longest," he said after being rescued by an alert mailman. "I thought I was a goner."<br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.