Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8473 - 08/21/02 07:11 PM Military Issue vs. Spetsnaz
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want to add a compact shovel to my 72+ hour kit, and I was looking at the Military Issue trifold shovel and the Cold Steel Spetsnaz shovel. Has anyone used these? I like the "compactness" of the trifold shovel, but have read that it is more flimsy than convenient. I've heard nothing but praise for the Cold Steel shovel, despite that fact that it takes up more room. Your opinions are greatly appreciated!<br><br>John McIntire

#8474 - 08/21/02 07:22 PM Re: Military Issue vs. Spetsnaz
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
I have both in regular use, although I've logged a lot more hours with the issue tri-fold.<br><br>I've never broken a tri-fold. I have seen them broken. I have put some very hard use on them. The issue ones are a good tool. However - they are not a pick, and they are not maul (wood splitter).<br><br>The Cold Steel shovel is really tough. It can chop and split (use a file to put edges on it). It is not as "good" as the tri-fold at normal digging tasks, but it's servicable. The main difference is the handle shape (simple vs D handle), but there is one other more subtle difference: The tri-fold cups a load of loose soil better than the CS shovel. Regardless, I recommend them as a tough, servicable, useful tool at a real bargain (see BlueLine).<br><br>If you can also afford the tri-fold... get one and put them both to likely tasks. Pick the "winner" and toss the other in your vehicle.<br><br>Hope that helps.<br><br>Tom<br><br>

#8475 - 08/21/02 09:47 PM Re: Military Issue vs. Spetsnaz
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't have one, but I have a friend who swears by the Spetnaz version.<br><br>I do have an issue tri-fold, and it's held up pretty well for a long time... however, part of the problem is that there have been some convincing imitations made, and apparently there have even been military contractor "overruns" where the quality control is not up to snuff. It can be very hard to be SURE what you're getting.<br><br>I also have two of the Gerber/Fiskars version of the tri-fold that I picked up on sale, and I find that I prefer them over the military version. They appear to be thinner, tougher steel, a hair longer and noticeably lighter. They do not, however, fit in the molded plastic/rubber cases made for the military version.<br>

#8476 - 08/21/02 09:58 PM Re: Military Issue vs. Spetsnaz
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
<< part of the problem is that there have been some convincing imitations made, and apparently there have even been military contractor "overruns" where the quality control is not up to snuff. It can be very hard to be SURE what you're getting >><br><br>On the nail head. I purchase mine through the Army system so there is no question - that's obviously not an option for everyone. The real McCoy is not cheap, which is one warning flag...

#8477 - 08/22/02 05:58 AM Re: Military Issue vs. Spetsnaz
Anonymous
Unregistered

Precisley but i was lucky and i new mine was ex army as it was still covered in mud!!!!!!!!lol

#8478 - 08/22/02 02:30 PM Re: Military Issue vs. Spetsnaz
Anonymous
Unregistered

I should have mentioned that there's a good shovel review on this site, though it only covers the Gerber/Fiskars and the Glock (which I haven't seen for awhile), not the Cold Steel or the miltary tri-fold:<br><br>http://www.equipped.org/devices25.htm<br><br>

#8479 - 08/24/02 06:17 AM Re: Military Issue vs. Spetsnaz
Anonymous
Unregistered

While in the Marines I used my issued tri-fold alot. In the Gulf it seems like I dug a hundred foxholes and fighting positions. We filled what seems like a billion sandbags too. I still have it and keep it in my truck. I've used it on camping trips and to help dig out a stuck car once. Heavy, but like many military issue items, grunt proof and quite hard to break.

#8480 - 08/25/02 01:34 AM Re: Military Issue vs. Spetsnaz
Anonymous
Unregistered

<br>The Cold Steel shovel is very nice, and can be sharpened nicely and used as an ax/hatchet. The Tri-Fold would be my choice if space were the primary concern. For my vehicle I chose the Cold Steel.<br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 502 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.