Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8515 - 08/22/02 07:53 AM Hiking Back Packs...Your recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to know if Doug is ever going to review various back packs in the future? It is one very important item for when you are in the wilderness as it carries all your gear etc. What do you use in emergencies? What do you use for day hiking? week long hikes? Expeditions? etc etc. It is a topic that greatly interests me as I would like to buy a multi-day Back PAck to hike with. It must be internal frame though. Thanks for your input in anticipation.

#8516 - 08/22/02 01:54 PM Re: Hiking Back Packs...Your recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is a huge topic and I am not surprised that it hasn't been addressed on this site. There are a lot of variables involved, many of which are highly personal. There are also a lot of brands and many models available. These are constantly changing.<br><br>With internal frames, which is the most versatile and adaptable type to own (my opinion), a key factor is how well the pack fits. The only way to determine this is to try one on. This is best done in a good store with knowledgable sales people. This is especially important if you are looking at the larger packs, 4000 cu in and up.<br><br>I myself have around eight packs lying around the house, not counting my daughter's book packs. Each works best in particular situations, but I am always in the market for something just a little better.<br><br>In purchasing, be aware that many products have numerous bells and whistles that are designed more to appeal in the store than to provide real utility out in the woods. Generally these features just add weight, clutter, and expense. Keep it simple.<br><br>Check recent issues of Backpacker, Climbing, and Rock and Ice magazines for fairly objective evaluations of current offerings. Try renting before you buy.

#8517 - 08/22/02 02:25 PM Re: Hiking Back Packs...Your recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was also wondering about reviews like Boots, Sleeping bags and jackets. To my knowledge there are no reviews on them on this site. If so prob because its changing all the time.<br>Reinhardt

#8518 - 08/22/02 02:57 PM Re: Hiking Back Packs...Your recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that's the key- boots and packs are as personal, and subject to personal preference, as knives... and that makes them all sort of loaded subjects for discussion. Unlike knives, though, the selection of boots and packs changes constantly and quickly. Particular models that are reviewed are likely to be unavailable by the time thourough testing is complete.<br><br>Besides, unlike most of the things that are reviewed here, there are plenty of sources for information on packs and boots elsewhere. I'm not sure that Doug & Co. would be much interested in devoting thier time to a field that Backpacking Magazine has already made an industry out of.<br>

#8519 - 08/22/02 03:22 PM Re: Hiking Back Packs...Your recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

from the perspective of preparedness rather than sport the requirements of a back are somewhat different. For the short term interruptions of normal that we discuss here (this is not a survivalist site) the use of a back pack would be primarily to carry enough essentials to get out of reach of the disaster or to the shelter and help you make it through until help arrives. For this pupose capacity is more important that weight or comfort. When considering "bugging out" likely scenarios that are not TEOTWAWKI include hazmat spills, storms and floods. With proper planning we should be able to take a vehicle out of such situations. Most other scenarios are more likely to result in "bugging in" If you pack your bug-out bag in a set of cargo packs that can be carried by your family (one each) for a few miles and add to that a small boat and bicycles and keep them near the 4X4 in a shed or if too urban for the shed keep the packs in the garage or 4X4 then you will be ready to grab-n-go while others are still figuring out what they will need. You should be able to get on the road and out or the impact zone in your vehicle. If you are caught un-awares you can don your packs and start walking. This is not recreational hiking with a light pack - this is evacuation with a cargo pack - you won't be in the woods but on the roads. A good suggestion in this sort of situation would be a wheeled hand cart that you could drag / push down the road. If there is significant social disruption AKA riots and you can't safely bug-in then drop as much gear as you can and hit the road extremely light. In this situation stealth and speed are mandatory. In all of these situations the overlap between preparedness and hiking gear is coincidental. <br><br>From the perspective of backpacking and other sports the requirements vary. I would think that if you enter the woods well prepared for a multi-day hike then you have properly prepared for whatever contingencies you might encounter in that environment. Of course this means that by the standards proposed by most other hikers you will be overloaded. Here more than anywhere else you make the trade between gear - knowledge/skill - weight. knowing how to make a friction fire allows you to lighten up you pack. knowing how to hunt and gather allows you to lighten your pack. knowing how to cook over an open fire allows you to lighten you pack. OTH having an MSR whisper-light, espresso star and maker, MSR titan fuel bottles and cookset adds about 3 lbs but makes dinner and camp much more comfortable. In decent weather a mesh hammock and fleece blanket can provide shelter for less than a pound but don't get caught in a rain. Add another pound for tarp and your good at 2 pounds for summer - go into the mountains or out in winter and you will carry 7 pounds of shelter and like it. - or you could get good at debris huts and snow shelters....<br><br>If you cook over open friction started fire hunted and gathered food and sleep in debris huts in your clothes and like that for comfort then I would bet you could be fine with nothing more than a butt-pack and holster.<br><br>If you skill level and comfort requirements are similar to mine you will have a difficult time keeping your pack capacity below 2500 ci and weight below 45 pounds. YMMV

#8520 - 08/22/02 05:54 PM Re: Hiking Back Packs...Your recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess one of the problems is that different countries/continents are likely to have so many different manufacturers, each producing for local but maybe not regional/international markets.<br><br>Justin

#8521 - 08/23/02 05:56 AM Re: Hiking Back Packs...Your recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with you. Also, requirements vary dramatically from one area and/or season to another. We all probably have multiple numbers of boots, and probably at least two or three sleeping bags, although we could all name a particular boot/bag/ jacket that is particularly versatile, durable, and useful.

#8522 - 08/23/02 07:07 AM Re: Hiking Back Packs...Your recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

Howdy,<br><br>I am aware of this fact. What I was also really after is what packs forumites personally use for particular activities. For example I have a 33lt Billabong Day Pack for Day hikes etc. And for a 4 day hike I use XYZ, because.....etc. etc. This is the info I would really be interested in. Thanks again.

#8523 - 08/23/02 07:33 AM Re: Hiking Back Packs...Your recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

So now what do you personally use for Day hikes, 3-5 Day hikes etc.? I am well aware that this is not a survivalist site. I never suggested that it was. I want to know what people here use to store emergency/survival equipment, and what type of packs and also preferably brands they use and recommend for hiking, camping etc. Thank you.

#8524 - 08/23/02 12:10 PM Re: Hiking Back Packs...Your recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thor,<br> Sorry if I offended. Just trying to keep focus on the forum. To answer directly, I use a duffle for the preparedness stuff in my jeep, a set of very large surplus rucks from italy for Bug-Out bags for my wife myself and my kids. I don't expect that the kids will be able to carry them full or far but they are large enough.<br><br>For extended hiking I take a medium Alice - unlike some others here, I like the alice I hike mostly in the White Mtn's of NH. I just packed it and weighed it and It comes in at just over 45 pounds without water.<br><br>For day Hikes I have a camelback blowfish which works for me.<br><br>I believe that a large alice might be better for the BOB than the medium that I use for hiking but the large italian surplus rucks are actually larger than the large alice. Those are very large. No frame. no pads on sholder or hip belts. They can be lugged or strapped on and you can carry a bunch for a short distance. They are more lugage than they are backpacks but the usage scenario I envision is quite different as I said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.