The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5576 - 04/18/02 07:03 PM Modular PSK
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
One issue I've been struggling with is spending the money for PSK items that may never see the light of day ... ever. I estimate that I'll end up spending somewhere between $50 -$75 (or even more) to outfit my kit by the time I'm done. Now some folks have jobs and avocations, such as flying, that put them at a higher risk to find thmselves in an emergency situation. For them, $100 is a cheap insurance policy.<br><br>Others, such as myself, are at low to moderate risk levels and it is more probable that I will never unseal my PSK except to replace expired meds and such. And that's not a big problem becasue I recognize that (a) if that minority emergency event does occur, I am prepared, and (b) the process of researching, assembling and practicing with the components has made me more prepared for an emergency.<br><br>The recent threads on tins, which displayed how folks have personal preferences in containers, and on what's allowable on board a commercial aircaft, have made me wonder if there's a way to create a modular PSK system.<br><br>For example, a Photon LED light would be a useful item in a full-blown wlderness survival PSK. And it would be equally important in an FAA friendly PSK. So do I create two kits where there's a great deal of redundancy. Or can a modular kit be devised where the FAA Friendly PSK piggy-backs onto the Wilderness PSK? Something like two half-hieght Altoids tins. One for Wilderness that's wrapped in electrical tape and para-cord. And the other for planes, office dress, urban carry, etc. When it's time to head for the hills where a wilderness emergency may occur, combine the two by securring them together with ranger bands (i.e. bicycle inner tube sections).<br><br>I don't have any real suggestions yet, just soliciting comments and ideas..

#5577 - 04/18/02 08:18 PM Re: Modular PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would think that I one wanted to go modular than the answer is probably not in an altoids tin. The approach of just "having somethings in your pockets" might be better. If you are faced with a restricted carry zone ( anywhere that you see a metal detector - not just an airport) you can quickly sort your stuff and "check" the offensive articles in a safe place for later retrieval.<br><br>Seems that there have been many related discussions on this forum so I took the time to compile some of the threads from a search on "wear". <br>Another method for storing fishing line...<br>non-kit kit<br>Re: urban PSK?<br>In praise of the vest...<br>Minimal Pocket Survival Gear<br>How do you carry your daily gear?

#5578 - 04/18/02 09:00 PM Re: Modular PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting thought. I can see how this might work with my situation, where I’m balancing “urban” PSK on the one hand and “woods” PSK on the other… I could have a “Core” PSK, with the essential items common to both, and add-on modules… say, radio, reading glasses, and money in the “urban” extension, and … what? More cord, more firestarting stuff, more signaling stuff in the “wilderness” extension. I’ll give this some thought.<br><br>On the other hand, I’m pretty skeptical for those facing the airlines. It seems to me that their enforcement is so uneven, arbitrary and unpredictable that you mostly end up with a kit gutted of a LOT of items that you’d want with you anywhere else. Needles, razor or X-acto blades, firestarters (you may want to try to get on a plane with an “incendiary device”- that’s what Dan Rather is going to call it when they show you being spirited away in handcuffs on the evening news- I don’t), any metal tools, fishhooks, P38 can opener… it comes out to about half or more, I think. You can probably get away with a compass (I’d go with a dial rather than a needle, just in case), a disposable lighter (?), a tiny flashlight, a few other things, but not enough to justify a “module”, I wouldn’t think.<br><br>Note that the airlines are being sued because they forced some passenger to drink untreated, unfiltered creek water samples that he needed to carry on because they were too fragile to check, in order to “prove” that it was harmless. Take another look in that box. Whatever really happened today in Milan, it’s not going to make it better. <br><br>Not saying that the modular idea doesn't have merit, just that I think facing the airlines is pretty much hopless.<br>

#5579 - 04/19/02 01:53 AM Re: Modular PSK
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
In general, I like the Idea of modularity. However, I would not plan on carrying an opaque, sealed container of survival supplies & tool past airport screeners. I would expect it to be opened. Then I would expect it to trigger intrusive, accusatory, & dilatory questioning by security. I like Jet's idea of distributing the items all over one's person, & carry on clothing pockets & bags. I would also avoid carrying on anything with a plain, open, dedicated survival purpose. For instance, no matter how desirable an O2 bag might be, I would expect it to be prohibitively provocative.<br><br>John

#5580 - 04/19/02 04:18 AM Re: Modular PSK
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
I have been actaully trying to come up with a modular system but I gave up due to the fact that I couldn't get any containers to fit the modules in. <br>So I ended up with many diff kits - every day kit, urban kit, wilderness kit etc. Its semi modular in the sense that if I'm going somewhere where more gear is needed, I just grab an additional kit. It leaves me with more containers sure, but I like the redundancy. I am comforted by the fact that I have lots more essential equipment like matches (and 2 or more sparklites!!)(which doesn't take up too much space).<br>Plus it saves me from trying to find a suitable container to fit each module into and to repack each module each time it is needed - just EDC, EDC + USK, EDC + USK + PSK<br><br>

#5581 - 04/19/02 06:00 AM Re: Modular PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

PresumedLost,<br><br>I don't think we're allowed to even bring disposible lighters onboard. The reasoning is a person may set fire to something in the cabin or bathroom, which may end up being just as deadly as knives and box cutters.

#5582 - 04/19/02 12:28 PM Re: Modular PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Soo- if the next (increasingly justifiable) incident of "air rage" involves someone threatening to scald people with his hot coffee, I suppose we'll outlaw hot beverages...<br><br>Eventually, I have no doubt, we'll end up handcuffed into our seats, just to make sure we're totally and completely helpless no matter what happens... posession of a handcuff key, or the plans to make one will be a felony... and the same people will be justifying it, with the same arguments.

#5583 - 04/19/02 01:22 PM Re: Modular PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Presumed Lost,<br><br>You're funny

Edited by Wayneburg (04/19/02 01:24 PM)

#5584 - 04/19/02 02:06 PM Re: Modular PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wayneburg,<br><br>I'd love to have seen that before you edited it- I suspect you're being diplomatic, but not sure from which position. :-)<br><br>No matter, I'm not going to take offense either way. Any number of otherwise-intelligent people have disagreed with me in the past, and I make it a point not to shoot people for their opinions. :-)<br><br>I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the airlines on "air rage" issue- we all recognize the need for some order on-board, after all, and we've all encountered obnoxious people, and sympathize with the attendants- until I read that some passengers were being PROSECUTED for failing to obey instructions to stay in their seats after NINE HOURS on the runway, waiting to take off, with all restrooms on the plane having malfunctioned.<br>

#5585 - 04/19/02 03:10 PM Re: Modular PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would you believe me if I told you my last post said:<br><br>Your funny.<br><br>instead of:<br><br>You're funny?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 448 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Today at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.