Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2940 - 12/05/01 06:32 AM Water storage
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been considering a emergency water storage system for my home. My current thoughts are to "plumb in" a 50 gal food grade plastic barrel into my basment water line feeding a exterior faucet. The occasional use of the faucet should keep the water fresh and a valve above would allow the source to be cut off if needed. A faucet would also be placed in the barrel at its low point to allow direct access from the interior of the basement. Any thoughts or comments on this idea would be welcome.

#2941 - 12/05/01 03:23 PM Re: Water storage
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just be sure you don't set up a siphon situation with your outdoor faucet - most do-it-yourself plumbing manuals discuss this problem.<br><br>I prefer storing water in smaller, separate containers, so that all my eggs are not in one basket, so to speak. I am also concerned with earthquakes, where a single container might be ruptured or otherwise rendered unusable. Of course, that means I have to change the water regularly - a good chore for the Fourth of July and Christmas.

#2942 - 12/05/01 04:32 PM Re: Water storage
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any ideas on water storage for apartment dwellers that don't have a basement or separate room to put a 50gal storage drum. Is a water purifier an adaquate measure?

#2943 - 12/05/01 07:34 PM Re: Water storage
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Gulliamo2,<br><br>That won't help you if the water is turned off, so you would need at least a water reservoir and if you want to keep the water fresh for a longer time treath it with some water treatement drops/tablets.<br><br>I've read about flexible flat containers that can hold up to several hundreths of gallons.<br>The smaller ones could for example fit under a bed.<br><br>Other possibility would be a waterbed and not use the waterbed chemicals but real water purification stuff to keep the water inside "fresh" then having a portable filter with carbon top-stop could be used to extra filter the waterbed water in case of anemergency.<br>Just a thought nothing more.<br><br>Best Scouting wishes from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera

#2944 - 12/05/01 08:55 PM Re: Water storage
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are several references, both on and offline. www.MajorSurplusNSurvival.com has a brief discussion on water storage, books and materials. You can start there and then price shop based on your location.

#2945 - 12/06/01 01:18 AM Re: Water storage
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
If you plumb in a water barrel make sure that it is rated for the water pressure in your area. Otherwise there will be a wet explosion in your basement. None of the plastic water barrels that i know of are rated for pressure. If you put in a pressure tank put a check valve on the inlet side so that if you lose water there will still be pressure in your tank. And hikerdon also mentioned syphon problems so be sure that the vacuum breaker is installed and working on your outside faucet.

#2946 - 12/06/01 03:54 AM Re: Water storage
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks folks. The anti-siphion valve remark jogged my memory. Knew there was something I was forgetting. The big worry in my neck of the woods is hurricanes and the occasional tornado. Earthquakes are possible but very rare here.

#2947 - 12/07/01 05:32 AM Re: Water storage
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't forget that you should have about 40 gal. of water in your water heater(as long as it's not contaminated). Just drain it into something like a large bowl, pitcher, etc. a little at a time using the drain spicket on the bottom and possibly a short piece of hose. Make sure you turn off the breaker before draining it of you will burn it out.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 526 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
33 minutes 23 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.