Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2591 - 11/13/01 03:20 AM HOW-TO on Survival (looking for)
dt101010 Offline

Loc: Monroe, LA
With all this information on what would make a good survival kit, how to prioritize in a crisis, and what tools you should have with you, I have had a hard time finding info online on what one would do with these tools. (with all the gritty details)<br><br>I guess what I am looking for is the information that is taken for granted or in some of the tomes that Doug has reviewed and listed on the site (such as the SAS Handbook). If this is the case then which books have you learned the most from?<br>Also some specifics on what are on these instruction cards in the survival kits would be helpful.<br><br>I am a novice in this arena and am looking for the best way to learn what I need to know.<br><br>Thanks.

#2592 - 11/13/01 04:32 AM Re: HOW-TO on Survival (looking for)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Take all the gear you got in your kits, take em up to the mountains or wherever and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE sometimes when u read a book, its doesnt really help cause ist either hard to picture or understand. when u get familiar tryto \/<br>Get out in the mountains on a rainy cold day, with your kit, and try to do the basics with just that kit (But dont get your self killed) I.E. start fire, build shelter, purify water.<br>use your kit and build skills those people who wrote the book had to of do it themselves right? experience man!

#2593 - 11/13/01 05:16 AM Re: HOW-TO on Survival (looking for)
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The problem with any new endeavor is knowing what to ask, who to ask, and how do you judge the quality of the answer. Your first question should be "What do I anticipate surviving?" Since your in Florida,the big natural disaster will be a Hurricane, smaller hazards a ocean mishap or hiking misadventure. So unless you plan a chartered trip to antarctica we can eliminate igloo construction. There is no one Tome on survival. Some are near classic, like the SAS book, while others are barely worthy for tinder. Every text will be complemented by others. Sometimes two authors can explain the same basic skill. Author A may simply speak your language.So, what do you foresee surviving? That is the question to pose.

#2594 - 11/13/01 05:34 AM Re: HOW-TO on Survival (looking for)
dt101010 Offline

Loc: Monroe, LA
You're right Chris. I guess I've been kind of caught up with the idea of "being prepared for anything", when there are plenty of situations that I won't even encounter. I also agree with Ron in that practice makes perfect.<br><br>I was just looking for some good information. I may not need to learn how to ice fish being in Florida, but there are a lot of questions I haven't even thought of to ask. For my personal necessities I see that a good first aid kit is on the top of the list. I do a lot of biking, on and off road, as well as like to camp and hike which is where I would most likely put to use some of my new skills. Although I haven't run into any emergency situation in the past, I wouldn't want to preclude their existence.<br><br>I think I will start with the SAS Handbook and go from there.<br>Thanks for placing the question that I should have had from the start.<br>"What do I need to survive from?"

#2595 - 11/13/01 07:25 AM Re: HOW-TO on Survival (looking for)
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The SAS book is a good place to start. Like I said ( or tried to), each book gives a different slant or emphasis to gear lists ( the famous10 essentials) methodology, philosophy ( go light, go native, go electronic, go away please). After a few books you realise there are a finite number of topics and want to rip the bowdrill illustrations to pieces. Thats when the subtle hint of greasing the bowdrill in book number three pops up. Doug's reference on site is pretty comprehensive. chances are any other title has been read by a forum member. Just ask before buying ;O)

#2596 - 11/13/01 05:36 PM Here's a great online reference
Anonymous
Unregistered

Click your way over to this link. It ought to quench your thirst for a while. It's the online US Army survival field manual. You may want to skip over the parts about evading the enemy, but the rest is classic. <br>http://www.aircav.com/survival/asurtoc.html

#2597 - 11/16/01 04:07 AM Re: HOW-TO on Survival (looking for)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Even if you read a lot of survival books and practice, there is the other stuff that is important:<br>Try to not get in a survival situation, i mean always think of possibal problems before they happen. Just like when you are driving a car and even if you got a green light you slow down and check if it's free to go! It's very easy to forget about thinking on situations that are not normal.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 227 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.