Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1596 - 09/08/01 07:13 AM Using signalling mirror as a regular mirror...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm going to be doing some lightweight backpacking, and want to get a signal mirror in case of emergency. I prefer a 2x3 inch one that is very lightweight. I've read Doug's essay about signalling mirrors, and it seems that most (all?) of them are designed to be used only in case of emergency; for example they have a protective sticker that needs to be peeled off (and put back on to protect it so it can be used again).<br><br>I'd like to also be able to use my signalling mirror as a regular mirror when backpacking. Primary purpose would be to make sure I was properly putting on suntan lotion each morning, as well as checking to make sure I looked presentable at then end of the trip when returing to civilization. <br><br>Which mirror would allow this while still being great for signalling, and being lightweight and small?<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>

#1597 - 09/08/01 07:39 AM Re: Using signalling mirror as a regular mirror...
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

what style of compass do you use? Several high end compasses encompass a mirror in their system. Reflect on this option.<br><br>

#1598 - 09/08/01 06:18 PM Re: Using signalling mirror as a regular mirror...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use a very lightweight small Suunto (I think it's the Suunto Gem)...no mirror or other frills (it does have a rotating/ratcheting dial). <br><br>I actually primarily use a Garmin Vista GPS which has a built in compass and altimeter for navigation, and the compass is just for backup. I guess I could upgrade compasses, but I hate to have a bulkier heavier compass. It might be okay if there was a compass whose mirror provided signalling on par with a signalling mirror, but otherwise I'd hate to do it, because I don't think I'd be likely to use the mirror much when doing orienteering. So do any of these compass mirrors work as well as a regular signalling mirror for signalling?<br><br>

#1599 - 09/08/01 10:09 PM Re: Using signalling mirror as a regular mirror...
Anonymous
Unregistered

FWIW, REI and Campmor both sell "featherweight" mirrors. These are thin, flexy plastic, like credit card stuff. They work fine as a normal mirror, and have a hole dead center for signalling. They really are lightweight- like 2 or 3 playing cards. Even if it won't do for your signalling needs, the extra weight of carrying one of these as well is pretty trivial.<br><br>

#1600 - 09/11/01 03:45 PM Re: Using signalling mirror as a regular mirror...
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
If Im not entirely incorrect, I think Doug stated that glass-mirrors give the best reflections.<br>I have used a mirrored-sighting-compass for shaving and applying cammo-cream (in the army). I havent tried signalling with it, though. I have an idea of having a hole cut in the center of the mirror to be able to use it as a signalling mirror. Not field tested yet!<br><br>Stefan<br><br>

#1601 - 10/01/01 02:01 AM Re: Using signalling mirror as a regular mirror...
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
For years I have used a cheap metal mirror, approx 3x4 inches, that I drilled a small hole in the center of. Not the best for plucking your eybrows, but passible for sunblock, and I have signalled several choppers with it. You do need to protect it from serious scratches. A shirt pocket does that.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 240 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.