Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Multitool Mania by albusgrammaticus @ 01/12/18 06:45 PM

Thank you very much Chaosmagnet. Just finished reading your insightful review. I normally carry a SAK on day hikes/backcountry walks, but I can imagine occasions where a good pair of pliers could come in handy. I never owned a multitool. Well, I
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Improvisation, especially First Aid by hikermor @ 01/12/18 06:08 PM

No matter how large or well supplied your FAK may be, if the emergency is great enough (just consider the current Montecito mess just up the road here in SoCal!). At some point you will need to depart from protocols to some degree, make something up
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Multotool Modification by hikermor @ 01/12/18 04:40 PM

Chaos, in your fine review of the Signal you mentioned that you replaced the issue serrated blade with a non-serrated, higher end steel blade. What is involved in the way of modding these tools - required gadgets, sources of supply, interchangeabili
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Multitool Mania by chaosmagnet @ 01/12/18 03:57 PM

I own one. I wrote a First Impressions review at https://www.edcforums.com/threads/leatherman-signal-first-impressions.132575/ . Overall I like it. To directly answer your questions: Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet on EDCFThe whistle on the fer
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Water Tight Storage Containers by Russ @ 01/12/18 02:58 PM

Thanks. Good read at: ... wiki/Cumbre_Vieja. The mega-Tsunami discussion is toward the bottom. If the Cumbre Vieja ridge fails as per the model, it would not be a good time to be standing on the beach between Key West and Bangor, Maine. However
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Water Tight Storage Containers by Ren @ 01/12/18 02:23 PM

Yeah, the island is La Palma, and the Cumbre Vieja volcanic ridge. Speculation is if it blows the landslide into the ocean would create a mega tsunami, hitting African coast in an hour, UK in 3.5 hours and the eastern USA in 6.
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: keychain pill container by Ren @ 01/12/18 02:13 PM

GUS stainless steel pill fobs, not the cheapest but... https://www.gusmade.com/ They are also sold in amazon.com
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: The Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 01/12/18 01:36 PM

When do I get my hat? Jeanette Isabelle
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Multitool Mania by albusgrammaticus @ 01/12/18 01:12 PM

Speaking of multitools, I see some of you listed the Leatherman Signal among your collection. How would you judge it, from an outdoor use perspective? Are the saw, sharpener, firestarter and whistle really useful (i.e. they can effectively stand i
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: keychain pill container by acropolis5 @ 01/12/18 06:12 AM

For many years my key chain pill capsule has been & remains the Bison Designs Capsule, Large. I also wrap the capsule in ~18” of Gorilla Tape. In it I carry 4 ibuprophen tabs; 4 pseudoephedrine tabs.; 2 caffeine tabs; 2 generic Benadryl tabs,
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: keychain pill container by UTAlumnus @ 01/12/18 04:08 AM

I've carried one similar to one of these for several years
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Water Tight Storage Containers by UTAlumnus @ 01/12/18 03:58 AM

There is an island in the eastern Atlantic (one of the Canary Islands?) that they think will cause a tsunami if the mountainside collapses. Something about the geology increases the chance. It's been too many years since I watched the show about th
Around The Campfire
I was wondering as much because a local chemical plant had an incident recently and advised that the near by residents turn off the HVAC as in response to a nuclear event. The only connections between the inside and outside units are electrical and
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 01/12/18 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermorI would rather buy the supplies appropriate for the anticipated event, and then purchase the bag(s) that will contain them. Nowhere is it written that everything must fit into one container. A part of the decision proc
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 01/12/18 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: RussJust my opinion, but a bug-out kit should be small enough to allow for ease of transport. Any large kits should be pre-staged at the site to where you are bugging out. That includes all supplies: food, tools, ammo, camping
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 01/12/18 02:07 AM

I saved the lives of two CPR dummies, took a class on first aid though I learned more from studying books and practicing on myself. As for practical experience, I helped my grandmother with her oxygen therapy (though I don't anticipate that experienc
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit by Russ @ 01/12/18 01:57 AM

Just my opinion, but a bug-out kit should be small enough to allow for ease of transport. Any large kits should be pre-staged at the site to where you are bugging out. That includes all supplies: food, tools, ammo, camping gear, first aid and serio
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit by hikermor @ 01/12/18 01:53 AM

I would rather buy the supplies appropriate for the anticipated event, and then purchase the bag(s) that will contain them. Nowhere is it written that everything must fit into one container.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 01/12/18 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: RussI look at that list and wonder ... how big is the bag that carries it? That looks like the contents of the back of an ambulance manned by an EMT or two. I'm buying the contents a little at a time to be sure that what I buy
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 01/12/18 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetThe SWAT-T is better than nothing but not recommended. Granular QuikClot is not recommended, nor are QuikClot sponges. QuikClot gauze is really good. If space allows, I plan to include two Combat Application Tourniq
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit by hikermor @ 01/12/18 12:23 AM

That indeed looks like a fine kit for minor , disabling owies. Kits should be developed to work in the situations that are anticipated. It seems that J-I is working for something rather more serious, with moderately long term care (24 hours is an e
Around The Campfire
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet That sounds HORRIBLE. chaos("I love flashlights and headlamps")magnet It would all depend upon the light quality - neutral white, high CRI, and all that good stuff -hopefully no garish green or yello
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit by hikermor @ 01/11/18 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle I only know how to take a person's blood pressure. I'm not trained on the rest you mentioned. Jeanette Isabelle I would heartily recommend such training. Your level of training is at least as important as t
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bug Out First Aid Kit by Russ @ 01/11/18 11:57 PM

I look at that list and wonder ... how big is the bag that carries it? That looks like the contents of the back of an ambulance manned by an EMT or two. One of my favorite FAK’s was built based on the contents of CountyComm’s Grab & Go Firs
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: What increases your survival chance after a nuke? by chaosmagnet @ 01/11/18 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorLife after the nuke event would have its small compensations. Everything will be glowing in the dark, rendering headlamps and flashlights unnecessary... That sounds HORRIBLE. chaos("I love flashlights and hea
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
January
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Michelle, EthanJames, Jason91, tangelo, woodstix
5234 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Ridiculous carry - what have you seen?
by Herman30
05:56 AM
USCG Strobe lab & field test reports - 2012 & 2015
by Montanero
01:12 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Montanero
12:57 AM
keychain pill container
by Doug_Ritter
10:38 PM
38 minutes of Fear
by Pete
10:36 PM
Multotool Modification
by mattbpkt
08:34 PM
Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies...
by TeacherRO
08:14 PM
New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism
by TeacherRO
08:11 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.