Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 06/14/18 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: RussGood choice for a utility knife, but imo you should get the Dozier for EDC. Why? All I need is a pair of EMT shears and a separate tool for opening boxes. I considered the Dozier for opening boxes until others recommended
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by Russ @ 06/14/18 06:51 PM

Good choice for a utility knife, but imo you should get the Dozier for EDC.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 06/14/18 06:28 PM

In the beginning, I was not thrilled with the idea of a utility knife because of my experiences with them. I worked for six years in a distribution center. The ones I'm familiar with are the slim, simple-designed slidders that use the single-sided sa
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Prioritize 15 items for subarctic survival by hikermor @ 06/14/18 04:48 PM

The canvas , as is, can be a good shelter for five- do not cut. You have lots of cordage. Potable water is not an issue.. It is all around. I do have practical experience here (six decades-no problems) drinking from less pristine sources. You d
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by Montanero @ 06/14/18 03:51 PM

Do you really open that many boxes that you need to EDC a box cutter? Even if you do, the cheap ones with replaceable blades are better, if you are opening boxes. A good knife is better for other things.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Gun that fits an Altoid's Tin by clearwater @ 06/14/18 03:50 PM

It needs a laser and a magazine. And a 16" barrel.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Prioritize 15 items for subarctic survival by Montanero @ 06/14/18 03:50 PM

The snowshoes and some rope could be used to construct a crude pack. I would be very hesitant to cut the canvas.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by Russ @ 06/14/18 03:38 PM

Cheap at half the price ... Utility knife plus 50 blades, $9.88. One note on the various EDC knives mentioned with regard to cutting cardboard and blade geometry. Some hollow ground knives (such as the Dozier mentioned) make shallow cuts very n
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Prioritize 15 items for subarctic survival by clearwater @ 06/14/18 03:35 PM

Already everyones thoughts helped me prioritize. Hadn't thought about the clock being used for dead reckoning. I have made snowshoes from tree branches and they worked okay on the flat, especially if someone else broke trail. They did need to be f
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 06/14/18 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: RenThe Victorinox Evolution S range (around 9 models in total) have locking blades. Though with nail nicks make them two handed opening. S14 https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN23903...-38-red-handles S17 https://www.knifecente
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by Russ @ 06/14/18 03:03 PM

I was thinking about Bingley’s idea of sharpening blades — I have the ability to sharpen knives and these aren’t much different. Then I had a cup of coffee and looked at LCranston’s math. Next time I’m at HD I’ll buy another 50 blade dispenser.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by Russ @ 06/14/18 02:55 PM

LCranston’s math is correct. A $20-$22 utility knife system will last a long time. The Milwaukee Utility Knife he mentioned looks like it would work well, I like that the blade can function as a hook knife and it has a cut-out to work as a wire s
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Prioritize 15 items for subarctic survival by LCranston @ 06/14/18 02:51 PM

OMG, we did this in 6th grade, but it was a different location. (sahara, I think) We did one in Jr. High where it was the moon, lol. I would observe that your temperature graph has errors, almost all of your Fahrenheit temperatures are listed as
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by clearwater @ 06/14/18 02:49 PM

I use a utility knife everyday dozens of times. Open boxes but mostly to cut nylon fabric (Cordura and lighter). I sharpen my replaceable blades and get months/years out of each blade. Not because I am cheap, but because I need a sharper edge than t
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Prioritize 15 items for subarctic survival by hikermor @ 06/14/18 02:45 PM

Agree in general with your priorities, but the town is closer - 22 miles. I would consider walking to the town, so the snowshoes might be handy. Could three on snowshoes break trail for the two following -possible depending on conditions. it is mu
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by M_a_x @ 06/14/18 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_IsabelleEither way, blade sharpening is a skill I need to gain. That would be a skill worth learning in any case. You can use it for the kitchen knives too. Remember a sharp knife is safer than a dull one. Originally
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by KenK @ 06/14/18 02:35 PM

I DON'T use my EDC to open boxes - mostly because I'd prefer not to get all that adhesive on the blade. Plus, I find cutting cardboard dulls blades pretty quickly. Most of my box opening only involves slicing through plastic or fiber-reinforced packi
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Prioritize 15 items for subarctic survival by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 06/14/18 01:49 PM

I'll take a stab at it. Edit: Twenty-two miles away. I misread what you wrote. My plan was based on a misunderstanding of the distance. Noone is injured. We go to the next priority. Everbody is wet. The first thing we need to do is build a fire. Ma
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by LCranston @ 06/14/18 01:29 PM

+ 1 to Box Knife or Folding Utility Knife. Both are cheap, cheap, cheap, and can be replaced easily if lost or broken. Both can be sharpened, exactly the same as sharpening a knife. Get a stone or sandpaper attached to a flat, and alternate strok
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by Ren @ 06/14/18 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkaboutThe OP specified a locking blade. Otherwise a SAK would be first in line. The Victorinox Evolution S range (around 9 models in total) have locking blades. Though with nail nicks make them two handed opening. S14
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Why Are We Preparing? by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 06/14/18 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetMuch of what I carry, choose to learn, and so on comes from trying to learn from experience. Experience is the reason I EDC the items that I carry. Experience is the reason I will from now on bring extra lip balm and
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 06/14/18 11:25 AM

Originally Posted By: BingleyThe more serious answer -- for opening boxes I'd use a box cutter. It can be adjusted so that just a "tooth" pokes out, preventing it from cutting the contents. As long as you use it just to open boxes (i.e., cu
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Why Are We Preparing? by chaosmagnet @ 06/14/18 11:16 AM

I picked my name here deliberately. Much of what I carry, choose to learn, and so on comes from trying to learn from experience.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Folder for Opening Boxes by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 06/14/18 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: BingleyI'm concerned for Jeanette: why don't you already have such a knife? IS SOMEONE HOLDING YOUR KNIVES HOSTAGE??? For opening boxes, I use a kitchen knife. That requires going to the kitchen. I can't have the kitchen knife
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 275 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Birdman1776, tskinner, Abe, Flyingbforge, Sedric
5254 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by clearwater
03:46 AM
Royal Navy monkey fist knot tutorial
by TonyE
10:46 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:11 PM
Medline
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:05 PM
Getting Organized
by hikermor
06:13 PM
Tough old babushkas
by clearwater
06:05 PM
Folder for Opening Boxes
by Russ
04:57 PM
Happy Fathers' Day
by chaosmagnet
06/18/18 08:30 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.