Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by Ian @ 09/13/18 11:45 AM

We own and use a 'briefcase cooker': Briefcase Cooker £9-£10 here and Butane refills £1 each. Very easy and very safe to use. Also an additional gas ring in the kitchen when needed, Christmas dinner, big BBQ, cooking at the table, picnics. -
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts More effective than the bear spray? A bong. by clearwater @ 09/13/18 02:52 AM

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-12/ca...156?pfmredir=sm
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by LesSnyder @ 09/13/18 02:52 AM

to add to CJK's comments on coolers, and for the members not familiar with the 2004 Florida storm season... we had 3 storms in a month's period or so... the first for me was a 9 day power outage, and the others 3 or 4 day events...at the time I had a
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by haertig @ 09/13/18 02:40 AM

I worry about our hot tub. Even at zero degrees outside, ours supposedly won't start freezing for a week or more (I'm not sure I believe that though). We could drain it, but then the back yard would turn into one gigantic ice rink. Unless you have
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by Russ @ 09/13/18 02:40 AM

There are definitely ways to improvise a thermal cooker, but for the cost of buying one ahead of time...? We use ours on a routine basis, itís not something that sits on a shelf unloved and forgotten until that very rare emergency. FWIW, the oute
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by dougwalkabout @ 09/13/18 02:18 AM

Quite right, the cooking thermometer is the one element that can't be improvised. It's non-intuitive yet essential in these scenarios. But of all the options you mention, which have you personally found, in practice, to be the most effective?
Around The Campfire
Originally Posted By: MontaneroThe smell should readily indicate that it is not water! Kind of like a fuse should indicate it's not really a candle!
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by EMPnotImplyNuclear @ 09/12/18 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkaboutOriginally Posted By: RussWe use a thermal pot for various slow cooking menu items (stew, chili, whatever). Itís very efficient; put the stainless steel inner pot on the stove burner (electric/induction/gas) just e
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: Hurricane Florence by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/12/18 11:08 PM

Jump to new posts Re: Hurricane Florence by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/12/18 09:45 PM

Jump to new posts Re: Hurricane Florence by Russ @ 09/12/18 09:14 PM

Latest I heard is that itís only a Cat.3 hurricane... Okay so the winds are down a bit, but doing the math: Storm surge + lots of Rain = Flooding Do what youíd do for a stronger storm and feel fortunate if those preps werenít necessary.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by Montanero @ 09/12/18 07:05 PM

All empty space in our freezers are filled with frozen water bottles, trying to prevent thawing for as long as possible. Once thawed they are more drinking water.
Jump to new posts Re: Unusual Hurricane preps (Bug out) by CJK @ 09/12/18 07:01 PM

Another thing to consider.... calling emergency management where you live for info.... we run some special needs shelters (people with particularly special needs-ventilators, dependent on oxygen etc). One of the things ours had arranged in the past w
Jump to new posts Re: Unusual Hurricane preps (Bug out) by CJK @ 09/12/18 06:57 PM

RE: getting scripts filled..... Call your insurance company! A number of them have agreed to allow you to do one additional refill at your 'normal' co-pay when a storm is expected to hit... They learned this the hard way when too many people couldn't
Jump to new posts Re: 1 in 4 won't evacuate by CJK @ 09/12/18 06:52 PM

We have 'mandatory evac' orders here (FL) but similar.... you don't go.... Don't call us for help... we HAVE had it happen. You can imagine the 'surprise' when the dispatchers tell them: We're sorry but we are NOT sending anyone. We will log the requ
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by CJK @ 09/12/18 06:45 PM

Few thoughts..... Cooking: We too have the gas grill (propane). Large cylinder. usual grill style with side burner. Could be used multiple ways. In addition we have a an old Coleman 2 burner camp stove. White gas or small propane canisters (with th
Jump to new posts Re: 1 in 4 won't evacuate by adam2 @ 09/12/18 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorWhat ever happened to the legendary "FEMA Camps," so beloved by hard core survivalists??? The camps are out there, ready equipped for the illegal, non constitutional detention of innocent law abiding American
Jump to new posts Re: Hurricane Florence by hikermor @ 09/12/18 03:48 PM

The most recent forecasts are really ominous; inland, it is the rain that will cause problems, not so much the wind. Stay safe out there!
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by Russ @ 09/12/18 02:49 PM

Coffee... Originally Posted By: MontaneroDO NOT FORGET THE COFFEE!! I make my own cold-brew-coffee (CBC). Itís super easy, directions are available on-line. While I normally take my hot coffee with all the chemicals (cream & sugar), I cut t
Jump to new posts Re: Hurricane Florence by Russ @ 09/12/18 02:39 PM

Unfortunately some of what weíve been discussing will soon be reality for many in NC. 'Monster' Hurricane Florence to pummel U.S. Southeast for days Summarized, if you live on or near the coast, evacuate inland and good luck with what you leave
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: new Garmin mini-InReach by chaosmagnet @ 09/12/18 11:16 AM

All InReach devices require a device-specific subscription on Iridium. The least expensive level is $11.95/mo (https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/). No affiliation.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by albusgrammaticus @ 09/12/18 08:17 AM

Bursted pipes due to freezing are not that uncommon in my area during winter, but generally they do accour in vacation houses that have been uninhabited for months. I could easily prevent that by leaving a couple of faucets to drip constantly. As fo
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by Tjin @ 09/12/18 07:31 AM

As for heating; how much do you really want to spend on it? If the house never gets below freezing on the inside, then there is no danger of bursting pipes and burstings cans. So then it's a matter of keeping yourself warm. Proper clothing works for
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by albusgrammaticus @ 09/12/18 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout[Hijack continued:] Check the manual for your pellet stove. They draw very little power, and some are now designed with the ability to operate on 12VDC for exactly the reasons you mention. That's interesting to k
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by albusgrammaticus @ 09/12/18 07:23 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. To power the main heating system I would surely need to install a bypass switch, as the power line of the furnace goes directly in the wall and not in a standard socket. It's a job I'd need to leave to a l
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, hikermor), 52 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
helium_voices, Nic0612, FeloMedina, Weather9237, EHoward
5261 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Makeshift sanitation
by LesSnyder
Today at 04:16 AM
Urbane Preparedness
by LesSnyder
Today at 04:03 AM
Defense, bear v handguns 97% success, & by caliber
by hikermor
Today at 02:36 AM
Doug Ritter is famous!
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 11:03 PM
Tool of Choice
by hikermor
Yesterday at 07:28 PM
Hurricane Florence
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 11:46 AM
Changing my Location
by Jeanette_Isabelle
09/16/18 10:51 PM
Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite
by brandtb
09/16/18 06:00 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.