Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by Dagny @ 09/17/17 05:08 PM

Hurricane Irma was the first time I've had immediate family members in the path of an impending catastrophe. My brother and niece live in Naples, Florida. Their experience has been an interesting prism through which to view the subject of preparedn
Jump to new posts Re: And then there was Maria... by Russ @ 09/17/17 04:14 PM

There's a good read at: Weather Underground on Hurricane Forecast Computer Models ... Quote:... Over the past decade, NHC has greatly improved their forecasts by relying on consensus forecast models made using various combinations of the GFS, GFDL,
Jump to new posts Re: And then there was Maria... by Russ @ 09/17/17 03:59 PM

Is there a link to the "European Model" regarding Maria. It would be interesting to see how they are calling Maria considering the damage to Saint Martin and the British Virgin Islands.
Jump to new posts Re: And then there was Maria... by Pete @ 09/17/17 02:16 PM

looking at that storm track - very bad news for the Virgin Islands, the French islands, and the coast of Puerto Rico. Maria is a little bit more to the south (compared to Irma), which puts the islands on the east (or north-east) side of the storm -
Jump to new posts Re: And then there was Maria... by bacpacjac @ 09/17/17 01:35 PM

What would you change next time, Jeanette Isabelle? Would you bug-out or make changes to your Bug-in plan?
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Solar powered gear... by chaosmagnet @ 09/17/17 09:36 AM

My generator is a Champion and it's been great. The CERT I volunteer with owns a Honda EU2000i and its legendary reputation is not exaggerated.
Jump to new posts Re: And then there was Maria... by Pete @ 09/17/17 04:51 AM

Jeanette - no need to panic just yet. No two hurricanes ever follow the same path. We don't yet know what size Hurricane Maria will be, let alone where it will go. Your experience "bugging in" did give you a real taste for how that goes.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Be Back Friday by Phaedrus @ 09/17/17 02:42 AM

Have a good trip! We'll be here when you get back.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Hurricane Irma-aftermath by LesSnyder @ 09/17/17 02:27 AM

re: charging cell phone by USB in car...while I used the gensets to charge the cell phone, my very first post to ETS was to recommend one of the 12v cigarette socket fixture with battery clips similar to the link...I still have a couple edit... the
Jump to new posts Re: And then there was Maria... by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/17/17 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: airballrad_If_ Maria comes to Florida it will be interesting to see if there are evacuations out of state like there were for Irma. I think many of the people that did that are willing to take their chances for the next one, con
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Power out safety tips: by KenK @ 09/17/17 12:56 AM

When we had a multi-day (6 days I think) power outage a few years back our biggest issue was getting water for our horses, in the volume that they need (we have a well). We could buy sufficient water, but the horses drink a LOT of water. Luckily the
Jump to new posts Re: And then there was Maria... by hikermor @ 09/17/17 12:25 AM

It would seem that when there is massive destruction to the infrastructure and disruption of supply chains, there is no easy option, provided your shelter-in-place withstands the event... How do you solve a problem named Maria?
Jump to new posts Re: And then there was Maria... by airballrad @ 09/17/17 12:08 AM

USVI is in the crosshairs again for this one too if this path verifies. My wife's cousin lives on St. John, and that place is pretty thoroughly destroyed. A second storm, even if "only" a Cat 3 when it hits, will not help matters at all. _
Jump to new posts Re: And then there was Maria... by Pete @ 09/16/17 11:34 PM

and they call the wind ... Maria That didn't take long. It's now a tropical storm, but expected to become a Hurricane. And another storm (Lee) right behind. It doesn't look like the British Virgin Islands, and the French Islands in the Caribbean,
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Be Back Friday by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/16/17 10:35 PM

Mom and I are leaving tomorrow September 17 for Panama City Beach and will be back Friday, September 22. Mom is looking forward to this vacation, especially after dealing with Irma. I don't know how much time I will be on the computer. Jeanette Isab
Jump to new posts And then there was Maria... by airballrad @ 09/16/17 09:06 PM

NHC Hurricane Maria
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Hurricane Irma-aftermath by Teslinhiker @ 09/16/17 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: CJKSolar chargers....fixated? No.....but we live in FLORIDA. We had more sun than we could use. In this case at least one solar charger would help. We had trouble in the first few days as we couldn't get off the property....lite
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Solar powered gear... by Teslinhiker @ 09/16/17 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: CJKAny thoughts on the Harbor Freight solar panel set? Any hands on experience? Was thinking of them with a deep discharge battery (ie boat) or someone said a golf cart battery. Thoughts? I also heard that the Harbor Freight 'w
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Solar powered gear... by CJK @ 09/16/17 07:42 PM

Thanks Wildman. Good to know. I'll check on it.
Jump to new posts Re: No Way, JOSE by LesSnyder @ 09/16/17 07:26 PM

changed the oil in the generator, and am leaving the plywood up till the end of the season... the 4 slot Nitecore charger is working as I type... stay safe
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Good Morning by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/16/17 04:29 PM

The heavy wind was the scariest part for me. It was during this time I felt like we were isolated from the rest of the world. For practical purposes, the nearest human could have been a mile away. The only damage was the yard debris; nevertheless, i
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Good Morning by Pete @ 09/16/17 03:58 PM

welcome! Glad the storm was not worse and that you are OK. yes, many prayers were answered.
Jump to new posts Re: No Way, JOSE by Pete @ 09/16/17 02:31 PM

not sure it will swing far enough west to have a big impact on the Carolinas. but we should know on the next 24-48 hours. there is another tropical storm headed towards the Carribean, but it has not strengthened into a major storm yet - so it doesn
Jump to new posts Re: No Way, JOSE by Montanero @ 09/16/17 01:55 PM

We have not relaxed our status for a couple of weeks. We can maintain it indefinitely.
Jump to new posts No Way, JOSE by wildman800 @ 09/16/17 05:37 AM

Here comes JOSE, starting it's run on the east coast. Today being Saturday, folks in the Carolina's need to assume HurCon 2, Folks in NJ & NY, etc, need to assume HurCon 3.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Burncycle), 283 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
WonderW, Adrienne224, lupacexi, mattbpkt, John_Sarnik
5217 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Nuclear Targets-What are they?
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:55 AM
M 8.2 earthquake in Mexico
by Russ
Today at 12:15 AM
And then there was Maria...
by airballrad
Yesterday at 04:29 PM
Every Day Carry in a wallet?
by TeacherRO
Yesterday at 04:17 PM
Hurricane Irma-aftermath
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:39 AM
Drones, Social Media & Disasters
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 02:56 AM
A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma)
by wildman800
09/19/17 05:21 AM
Maxpedition deal at Woot
by Phaedrus
09/19/17 05:14 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.