Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: 96 Hours in California Desert by dougwalkabout @ 07/15/18 03:07 PM

I'm inclined to drop a note to the reporter re the urine-drinking issue. A highly credible citation would be helpful. Does anybody have links to good quality studies etc. that will carry weight?
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: 96 Hours in California Desert by dougwalkabout @ 07/15/18 03:00 PM

Being immobilized and un-missed, far off-trail, in hot, dry country is pretty close to a worst-case scenario. She certainly learned some hard lessons, at great personal cost. It's not unreasonable to suggest that she survived despite the things she
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: What's the Earliest News Event You Remember? by hikermor @ 07/15/18 02:55 PM

I don't know for certain, but as a retired NPS employee, I doubt that anyone touches the LB unless they are engaged in conservation work and are wearing gloves.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by hikermor @ 07/15/18 02:30 PM

By the way, Russ, I just placed an order for two (2)! SWAT tourniquets, thanks to your recent post, ending a long time aversion to the use of T's and reversing my earlier training.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by hikermor @ 07/15/18 02:25 PM

Improvisation isn't necessarily slower. I understand the stethoscope was invented by a modest British physician who did not wish to place his ear on a woman's chest to determine heart sounds and rhythms. So, if you are in a situation where you don'
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Russ @ 07/15/18 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: pforeman... I'm happy with some simple every-day supplies and rely on knowledge rather than gear. ... Earlier in the thread we discussed ďimprovisationĒ and thatís always good, but improvisation takes time and sometimes thatís
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Russ @ 07/15/18 02:07 PM

When I last took my Wilderness First Aid course, NOLS marketed a large orange bandana with first aid instruction imprinted. It seems to be out of stock or no longer available, shoulda bought two, maybe itís a collectors item.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by pforeman @ 07/15/18 01:50 PM

I just read a magazine article last night about 100 uses for a bandana! A quick web search this morning turned up an on-line pdf document with 180 uses. Some of them, such as holding a hot branding iron, I will guess don't see much use. As a sid
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by hikermor @ 07/15/18 01:02 PM

I usually carry a bandanna in my left rear pocket - a classic multiuse item. While I prefer to apply sterile dressings over a bleeding wound, I wouldn't think twice bout slapping on that bandanna if necessary. It is usually red, so blood won't ruin
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by bacpacjac @ 07/15/18 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorIt isn't that hard to exhaust the contents of any normal FAK and who says you will be dealing with only one casualty in an incident? On one operation with one seriously banged up victim, I was now improvising splints,
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Favorite Related Forum by bacpacjac @ 07/15/18 12:25 PM

I'm not as active as I once was, but I love ETS! My on-line life has changed considerably in the past 15 years, especially over the last few years. To be honest, after my initial couple of years flurry of reading, studying, and soaking in everything
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Hikers in mudflats rescued by M_a_x @ 07/15/18 07:56 AM

https://www.dw.com/en/north-sea-german-m...scue/a-44677718 The article in German states that the three people were surprpised by the flood. Tidal tables are available for this region (and should be used to plan walks). The tidal amplitude makes the
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Favorite Related Forum by Burncycle @ 07/15/18 05:46 AM

When I first found this site, it was before the prepping craze, and it was the only one I had seen that had comprehensive reviews of the available survival kits out there in a methodical and organized manner. That motivated me to make my own, and wh
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: 96 Hours in California Desert by hikermor @ 07/15/18 02:19 AM

Agreed, a win is a win, but: statements like this is the referenced article are highly problematical and at least exceedingly bad information: "had to drink her own urine ó a common survival tactic used to help keep the body hydrated by replen
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts 96 Hours in California Desert by dougwalkabout @ 07/15/18 01:11 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-hiker-stranded-in-california-desert-1.4715729 This solo hiker slipped in rugged terrain, broke her pelvis in a fall, and survived four days until SAR found her. No-one knew she where she was going, or
Around The Campfire
Anyone here also have the privilege of having ACTUALLY TOUCHED the Liberty Bell?
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Favorite Related Forum by hikermor @ 07/14/18 03:11 PM

It is always helpful to those of us residing in the more favored regions to receive the insights of those in strange, far away lands like the UK and Alaska....
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: New gadget to add to your medical kit by hikermor @ 07/14/18 12:40 PM

Thank you very much for this info!! I am at the stage in life where I have A-fib issues; I received an implant for a-fib detection a few years ago and I was just told it needs replacement. This looks like an interesting alternative (even cheaper -
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Favorite Related Forum by quick_joey_small @ 07/14/18 08:52 AM

You forget that small number of contributors read elsewhere and bring recommendations of other sites and information from them. I'm a UK hiker and camper, you follow my advise on surviving where there's wilderness, deserts, mountains, jungles, danger
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts New gadget to add to your medical kit by haertig @ 07/14/18 03:38 AM

A worthwhile addition if you're a Paramedic or other medically trained person. https://www.alivecor.com/ I have one. For $99, it's quite the gadget. It records high quality Lead I ECG's. You can also do Lead II and one of the chest leads (V6?) w
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by hikermor @ 07/14/18 02:02 AM

Thanks for the link. I will be dropping by the local REI tomorrow - garage sale!! I wonder if there will be any slightly used T's.....(or returned -"did not work' - subject bled out"....)
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Russ @ 07/13/18 09:30 PM

Decided to buy a couple more SWAT-Tís and figured Iíd get a better price on Amazon - no, REI had them beat by a few cents and then when I checked out, there was a further (unexplained, possibly volume since I bought more than one) discount. ó SWAT-
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Favorite Related Forum by chaosmagnet @ 07/13/18 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: MontaneroThat being said, hosting this forum is not free. What are the issues with maintaining it? My workload here is very low. I read every post, but I would do that anyway. You all allow me to maintain a very light touch
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 07/13/18 05:22 PM

The one area in which I cannot make up my mind is the wound/burn section. Anyone else having trouble deciding? The following is the current configuration: WOUND / BLISTER / BURN (2) Trauma Pad, 5" x 9" (1) Burn Dressing, 4"x16" (
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by M_a_x @ 07/13/18 05:06 PM

Reading this forum gets kind of expensive. I have been looking for a tourniquet (for some of my hobbies the risk may be small but the potential damage could be severe) for a while and got some useful leads here. In the vast majority of accidents the
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 238 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
martinw, Birdman1776, tskinner, Abe, Flyingbforge
5255 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by Jeanette_Isabelle
54 minutes 38 seconds ago
Stuff to pick up at your local thrift store
by LCranston
Yesterday at 08:39 PM
First Aid Kits and Hot Cars
by Montanero
Yesterday at 08:04 PM
Essentials in First aid
by Russ
Yesterday at 07:28 PM
New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism
by TeacherRO
Yesterday at 07:03 PM
Ridiculous carry - what have you seen?
by TeacherRO
Yesterday at 07:02 PM
stuff you don't see in EDC...
by TeacherRO
Yesterday at 07:01 PM
Why Are We Preparing?
by TeacherRO
Yesterday at 07:00 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.