Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Survival book borrowed in 1977 returned to Library by Teslinhiker @ 03/16/19 10:30 PM

Must of have been a slow reader or lost for a long time? VANCOUVER ó A book about surviving in the outdoors has been returned to a B.C. library branch more than four decades after it was checked out. The book, ďWilderness Living: A Complete Handboo
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: New portable Solar charger by Russ @ 03/16/19 08:32 PM

I have both 10k & 20k mAh power banks with the same four lights as yours (Anker) so I totally get what you are saying, but as big as those numbers seem, a power bankís energy is finite. While I tested it with my flip-phone,the solar panelís prim
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: New portable Solar charger by haertig @ 03/16/19 08:01 PM

For on-the-go charging of a phone or other small device, wouldn't one of the power banks, pre-charged prior to your trip, be more practical? I can recharge my phone (admittedly, a small flip phone) a bazillion times off of one power bank charge. I'
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: How Equipped Can I Be? by chaosmagnet @ 03/16/19 05:05 PM

One more thought to add. "Amateurs train until they get it right. Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." Another version of it is that "You won't rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training."
Jump to new posts Re: Japanese earthquake kit video by dougwalkabout @ 03/16/19 04:47 PM

Note that there are different standards for hard hats. As noted, the lightweight plastic shell type (ANSI Type I) doesn't do a lot. It's not much more than a bump cap, though that's still better than a ball cap. The CSA-approved Type 2 hard hat, fo
Jump to new posts Re: Japanese earthquake kit video by Herman30 @ 03/16/19 04:07 PM

On a sidenote, when I ride my bycycle I have this jacket on: https://www.arktisoutdoor.co.uk/image/ca...y-2000x2500.jpg So the color of a helmet does not make a big different, be it light or dark.
Jump to new posts Re: Japanese earthquake kit video by Russ @ 03/16/19 03:32 PM

Another helmet I considered was the Petzl VERTEX BEST ANSI, White. No vents which in some climates would be just fine. Other climates and the helmet is a tad warmer. However, for construction or work in the aftermath of an EQ, this might be a good
Jump to new posts Re: Japanese earthquake kit video by hikermor @ 03/16/19 02:39 PM

Looking at the REI illustration, one can see that there are cooling vents in the top of the helmet. They make perfect sense on a bike helmet, but are not optimum when you might deal with falling objects. Cream is a decent color. I commuted regular
Jump to new posts Re: Japanese earthquake kit video by Russ @ 03/16/19 01:56 PM

Itís available in ďcreamĒ at REI - https://www.rei.com/product/872780/nutcase-bike-helmet-mens
Jump to new posts Re: Japanese earthquake kit video by hikermor @ 03/16/19 01:03 PM

It all depends on the certifications the helmet meets. That helmet is certainly better than no protection at all. I don't care for the dark color. Bike helmets should be highly visible.
Jump to new posts Re: Japanese earthquake kit video by Herman30 @ 03/16/19 08:51 AM

How about a bicycle helmet like this Nutcase Zone? [img:left]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0228/2...pg?v=1547670301[/img]
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: New portable Solar charger by Russ @ 03/16/19 03:35 AM

The Goal Zero solar panel I have is a 7 watt unit thatís not much smaller folded up than the 16W unit, and the GZ was considerably more $$. 16W is great for the small electronic gear youíd take on short hikes. For my GZ Yeti 400, I have a 100W
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: New portable Solar charger by hikermor @ 03/16/19 02:51 AM

Russ, thanks for bringing Outdoor Gear Lab to my attention. I note that they did not rank the Goal Zero Nomad panels very high at all. Looking over some of their other ratings, I must say they seem to be a pretty decent outfit and probably a reliab
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 03/16/19 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: TaurusIf I have spare space anywhere in my kit I put more shell dressings or compressed gauze in there. I looked to military kits for suggestions on what and how many bleeding and airway items I should include. I did not add an
Jump to new posts Re: How Equipped Can I Be? by pforeman @ 03/15/19 11:55 PM

The very good thing about all this is you are thinking about it and actively planning, working and trying to deal with the issue. With that, I'll kick in my two cents... The whole Stress Inoculation thing I work with when I'm dealing with rookies t
Jump to new posts Re: Japanese earthquake kit video by Russ @ 03/15/19 11:50 PM

Just back from REI checking out helmets, they had a few. I ordered the Black Diamond Half Dome, up close I liked it better. I was initially drawn to the Petzl Boreo because it comes in white which I like for visibility; Iíll remedy that with white
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Taurus @ 03/15/19 11:24 PM

Shell dressing is (Canadian) army slang for a combat compression bandage. Currently we are issued the Israeli T3. We have a larger one designed for abdominal injuries as well but I donít recall the name. Same as a CAT, they are designed to be self
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 03/15/19 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: TaurusThatís as good a FA kit as any. Looks like a lot of thought went into it. Thank you. I borrowed ideas from a variety of sources, including military kits. However, when applying that to my kit, I went with the civilian ver
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Taurus @ 03/15/19 08:53 PM

Thatís as good a FA kit as any. Looks like a lot of thought went into it. Not sure how I missed the CPR mask. My bad. People tend to bleed a lot. If I have spare space anywhere in my kit I put more shell dressings or compressed gauze in there.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: New portable Solar charger by Russ @ 03/15/19 07:32 PM

Thanks Les, thatís a great idea for use during/after an event where you can have a dedicated set-up for a portable solar panel. Your nail technique would make it very easy to fine tune a panelís orientation to the sun. Fabricating a small shelf
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 03/15/19 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: TaurusNo CPR mask? I have that. Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle(1) Rescue Mask, Soft Case The following is the link to it: https://www.chinookmed.com/01180/ambu-res-cue-mask.html Originally Posted By: TaurusI vouch fo
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 03/15/19 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorSmall bandages are those with diminished dimensions relative to bigger bandages - typically less than 1.5 cm by 7cm - commonly referred to as "bandaids". Oh. I have them listed. The following is a link to more
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Taurus @ 03/15/19 05:36 PM

No CPR mask? I vouch for the CAT tourniquet as well. Seen these used first hand a few times overseas so I know they work. A lot of military units issue them for a reason I guess. Itís nice to have a practice one and a couple in your kit clean a
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by hikermor @ 03/15/19 05:13 PM

Small bandages are those with diminished dimensions relative to bigger bandages - typically less than 1.5 cm by 7cm - commonly referred to as "bandaids". Thing is, you will probably apply about a thousand bandaids for every application of
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 03/15/19 04:08 PM

Thank you. I decreased the OTC medications because (in the stock configuration) I had to dig through so much to find what I needed. What do you mean by "small bandages?" Jeanette Isabelle
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Russ, DaveL), 170 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Janysboy, FlyerOne, galenSOM, milspecretail, jleeryan99
5276 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Where to discuss knife rights?
by Phaedrus
05:57 AM
Can't use it if you don't have it
by hikermor
03:56 AM
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:26 PM
Hazards we face - What are the odds?
by UncleGoo
06:58 AM
Bear Spray or Handgun in a Pack, are not Bear Spra
by chaosmagnet
03/19/19 01:37 PM
New portable Solar charger
by Russ
03/18/19 05:12 PM
To Build a Fire - Jack London
by hthomp
03/17/19 05:27 PM
Survival book borrowed in 1977 returned to Library
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/17/19 02:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.