Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Favorite Related Forum by Phaedrus @ 07/16/18 08:48 AM

It's as much the social aspect as the info for me. I'd miss you folks! If Hikermor won't be coming out to the dig now, perhaps I'll get out his way now that I'm in Idaho.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Woman rescued from wolves by helicopter by Phaedrus @ 07/16/18 08:46 AM

Scary! It's not for no reason that I carry a sidearm with me in the woods. I did so in SD and will absolutely do so now that I'm in Idaho.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: 96 Hours in California Desert by hikermor @ 07/16/18 02:55 AM

I almost forgot. There is this verbiage under "A Survival Primer," posted on the web by something called ETS "No Substitute for Water Your next priority is water. You can survive a long time without food, but only days or even less w
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: 96 Hours in California Desert by hikermor @ 07/16/18 02:28 AM

Two more references about drinking urine; Larry Dean Olsen - Outdoor Survival Skills, 1967 - pg. 33 "Drinking blood or urine only increases dehydration of the body. it is better to soak clothin in urine to cool the body by evaporation."
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Favorite Related Forum by Teslinhiker @ 07/15/18 11:53 PM

My participation in this forum wanes from time to time. And the reasoning for that, is multitude - but mostly, I don't have much to say on a lot of topics that are not of real interest to me. Also and although probably younger then most regulars her
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: 96 Hours in California Desert by TeacherRO @ 07/15/18 11:34 PM

How to avoid this -- 1. tell* someone responsible where you are going and when you will be back 2. hike with a friend 3. carry a PLB which are now in the range of $150-250 and are rentable. 4. Plan for mistakes, errors and delays 5. Carry extra food,
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bear Sightings by Montanero @ 07/15/18 11:22 PM

Go hike in the mountains around the Shenandoah Valley or drive around Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont, you will see plenty.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bear Sightings by Teslinhiker @ 07/15/18 11:11 PM

Where I live (BC Canada) the black bear population is estimated at 120 to 150 thousand black bears to the point for many, seeing a bear either in the urban or wild environment is more common then rare nowadays. As the human population encroaches in
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bear Sightings by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 07/15/18 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: bws48I have yet to actually see one (outside of a zoo), but I would be envious if you do so ---safely! All I've seen in this community are the wild turkeys. Jeanette Isabelle
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Montanero @ 07/15/18 08:49 PM

The only place a tourniquet will kill the patient is on the neck, and EVERYBODY knows you do not put a tourniquet on the neck The SWAT-T is great for pressure dressings, also a good elastic bandage. These are also very helpful when you need to put
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Russ @ 07/15/18 08:23 PM

Direct pressure will probably work for the majority of serious bleeding wounds and for those I like the SWAT-Tís 4Ē width which happens to be the width of a 4x4 gauze pad or a 4x3 non-stick pad. Apply direct pressure to stop the bleeding and then y
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by hikermor @ 07/15/18 08:06 PM

The SWAT appeals to me because it seems somewhat more versatile. What about it makes it more difficult to retard arterial bleeding? This is intriguing; I was trained during a phase when tourniquets were regarded askance; they are now currently in
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bear Sightings by bws48 @ 07/15/18 07:43 PM

Conservation works. Although I am more familiar with the Virginia/Maryland area, in most, if not all, states along the east coast of the USA, black bear populations have been increasing and "colonizing" new (frequently suburban or semi-sub
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Bear Sightings by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 07/15/18 06:33 PM

There are two known bear sightings and one supposed bear activity (bird feeder mangled by a strong creature) in this gated community. Word has gone out to put our trash out in the morning instead of the night before. A preserve is located on the oth
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: 96 Hours in California Desert by hikermor @ 07/15/18 05:55 PM

Here is a classic reference: Nesbitt, Paul; Pond, Alonzo; and Allen, William - The Survival Book, 1959 - pg. 204 "Alcohol, salt water, gasoline, blood, or urine - any of these liquids which desert and sea castaway romances say men have tried a
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Montanero @ 07/15/18 04:10 PM

The SWAT-T is good, but more difficult to stop arterial bleeding with. I prefer the CAT and the SOF Tactical Tourniquet. I do carry a SWAT-T, but do not rely on it as the primary tourniquet.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Montanero @ 07/15/18 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ Earlier in the thread we discussed ďimprovisationĒ and thatís always good, but improvisation takes time and sometimes thatís time the victim does not have available. A dedicated tourniquet is easier and quicker to deploy
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: 96 Hours in California Desert by Montanero @ 07/15/18 04:04 PM

The "will to live" is real, and yes, the body has hard limits. However, these limits vary for different people, their health, the circumstances of the event, etc. The will to live is more about keeping people from giving up too early, qui
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Favorite Related Forum by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 07/15/18 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkaboutThe other salient fact: forums are hopelessly old-fashioned. The under 30 (40?) crowd goes straight to YouTube using their smart phones. Oh, that's why at thirty-two I'm the youngest member here. Seriously, you're
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Russ @ 07/15/18 03:29 PM

Now you donít need to worry about your favorite belt getting trashed by an ER nurse. FWIW, the SWAT-T I bought from REI in-store is orange, but the ones available on-line are black.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Woman rescued from wolves by helicopter by clearwater @ 07/15/18 03:26 PM

I have a friend who was treed by wild pigs in California, here is someone who was treed by a pack of wolves. http://nwsportsmanmag.com/research-student-rescued-surrounded-wolves/
Around The Campfire
The movie National Treasure indicated the real Liberty Bell was stored elsewhere, so is that the real Liberty Bell on display or a stand-in? Like so many of our National Treasures the original is protected from the public.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Favorite Related Forum by dougwalkabout @ 07/15/18 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: PhaedrusEverything has a life cycle I suppose but I expect ETS to be around for a good while. Yes, agreed. I have yet to find a worthy counterpart, and I search regularly. The other salient fact: forums are hopelessly old-fas
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: 96 Hours in California Desert by dougwalkabout @ 07/15/18 03:07 PM

I'm inclined to drop a note to the reporter re the urine-drinking issue. A highly credible citation would be helpful. Does anybody have links to good quality studies etc. that will carry weight?
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: 96 Hours in California Desert by dougwalkabout @ 07/15/18 03:00 PM

Being immobilized and un-missed, far off-trail, in hot, dry country is pretty close to a worst-case scenario. She certainly learned some hard lessons, at great personal cost. It's not unreasonable to suggest that she survived despite the things she
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Montanero, Russ, AKSAR), 243 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
martinw, Birdman1776, tskinner, Abe, Flyingbforge
5255 Registered Users
Newest Posts
First Aid Kits and Hot Cars
by Montanero
4 minutes 19 seconds ago
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by Montanero
31 minutes 53 seconds ago
Essentials in First aid
by Russ
40 minutes 12 seconds ago
New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism
by TeacherRO
Today at 07:03 PM
Ridiculous carry - what have you seen?
by TeacherRO
Today at 07:02 PM
stuff you don't see in EDC...
by TeacherRO
Today at 07:01 PM
Why Are We Preparing?
by TeacherRO
Today at 07:00 PM
10 essentials...for the city?
by TeacherRO
Today at 06:59 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.