Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by Eugene @ 09/13/19 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: haertigAlkaline batteries don't typically corrode when they're sitting there in the package, unused. That's why all the packages you buy have long expiration dates on them, like ten years in the future. But once you start usin
Around The Campfire
Originally Posted By: PhaedrusThat would be a cool zipper pull! Thank you. The side button knot looks nice tied around a marble - zipper pull
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Has any of you really buried a survival cache ?? by Montanero @ 09/13/19 01:33 AM

Prep and packaging are the keys. Know the shelf life of your supplies under those conditions. If you do Geocaching you will understand a lot about emplacing and recovering them, as well as planning and documenting the location.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/13/19 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermorNot only will alkalines corrode and ruin your gear, they are also considerably more expensive than NiMH batteries which can be recharged something like 500 times. Just do the math.... That would do me no good since ther
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/13/19 12:46 AM

What I should have done was check her once a month by activating her singing mode? I don't believe that would have made a difference either way since there was no way for me to check her batteries without unsealing her box. Jeanette Isabelle
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by hikermor @ 09/13/19 12:42 AM

Not only will alkalines corrode and ruin your gear, they are also considerably more expensive than NiMH batteries which can be recharged something like 500 times. Just do the math....
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by haertig @ 09/13/19 12:36 AM

Alkaline batteries don't typically corrode when they're sitting there in the package, unused. That's why all the packages you buy have long expiration dates on them, like ten years in the future. But once you start using them, even a little bit, th
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by Phaedrus @ 09/12/19 09:18 PM

Whew, just in time! Even opened it's better than being damaged.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/12/19 08:56 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your help. I opened her box and removed her batteries, just in time. The batteries began to corrode; not enough to damage the doll. I put her back in with little evidence that the box was ever opened. Jeanette Isabelle
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by Phaedrus @ 09/12/19 08:51 PM

Wow! A valuable doll! Probably I'd take the batteries out but that's just me.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/12/19 08:15 PM

I believe you are right. In case anyone is wondering, the lowest price on eBay for the same doll, MIB, is $239.00. The original retail price was $29.95, six years ago. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Its-a-Sm...UEAAOSwai1Z589J Jeanette Isabelle
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by Russ @ 09/12/19 08:00 PM

If you test the doll and she fails, the damage may have been done. Here’s a thought: Can a battery that’s just starting to leak still function enough to appear okay? Then a month you check her again and she fails but it’s too late, the contacts a
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/12/19 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: wileycoyotei've had ag13 (and many other button batteries) corrode on me, in or out of date. If the doll still sings, is that a sure sign that her batteries have not corroded? Or do I open her box, negating being MIB, to be sure
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/12/19 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: JanysboySorry, the link isn't working for me, use your best judgement. Try it again. Jeanette Isabelle
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by hikermor @ 09/12/19 06:52 PM

Like Russ, I've lost gear to alkaline battery corrosion. All my AAA, AA, and C batteries are NiMH. I abhor alkalines. I also employ lithium-ion batts, although they do have their problems. Lithium-ion ignition is a leading suspect as the cause of
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by Russ @ 09/12/19 06:23 PM

Battery corrosion is the primary reason I switched to NiMH rechargeable batteries wherever I could. I’ve lost flashlights, clocks and a weather station to alkaline battery corrosion. A few devices require 1.5 volts so there are still a few alkalines
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Has any of you really buried a survival cache ?? by wileycoyote @ 09/12/19 06:04 PM

yes, once buried a rifle, ammo, food, clothes, first aid, etc on some rural property. first i taped it all up inside heavy duty garbage bags then in a 3x3x3' military "water-proof" aluminum box. came back a few years later to find it had
The Survival Forum
A lot of my stuff is buried beneath the usual household clutter...
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by wileycoyote @ 09/12/19 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetAll primary (non-rechargeable) batteries can corrode. I don't have data on rechargeable batteries corroding -- I've never seen it. But they have their own issues. Lithium primary batteries are very unlikely to corr
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by chaosmagnet @ 09/12/19 05:23 PM

All primary (non-rechargeable) batteries can corrode. I don't have data on rechargeable batteries corroding -- I've never seen it. But they have their own issues. Lithium primary batteries are very unlikely to corrode, even past their expiration d
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: AG13 Batteries by Janysboy @ 09/12/19 05:21 PM

Sorry, the link isn't working for me, use your best judgement.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Has any of you really buried a survival cache ?? by chaosmagnet @ 09/12/19 05:13 PM

It isn't a buried survival cache, but I've built emergency kits for my wife's and my cars. Eldest Recombinant DNA's vehicle also has such a kit. My loose network of friends look out for each other. I know whose doorstep I can appear on unannounced
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Has any of you really buried a survival cache ?? by Chisel @ 09/12/19 05:01 PM

There were many proposed ideas for prepping or survival. A survival cache was one of them. I never buried one, but stored some stuff in my father's house some 100 miles away. Being an urban guy, it was all I could or want to do. How about you guy
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Do you carry/pack a spare phone? by Russ @ 09/12/19 02:50 PM

Doing a search on the relationship of 4G and LTE (two different things) an article showed on, How to Disable LTE on iPhone (and Why You Might Want To). Quote:Tap on “Enable LTE” and choose “OFF” (or alternatively, you can set ‘Data Only’ to stabiliz
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Successful distress signal - note in bottle by hikermor @ 09/12/19 01:40 PM

That was certainly resourceful thinking and improvisation of available resources. But according to the story I saw about their plight, they were stranded because they expected a rope to be in place that would have allowed them to descend. Bad idea
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 202 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BereniceStanaway, aakanksha, 9Line, SkiSoloII, KMNPack
5293 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Castaway
by Phaedrus
03:37 AM
Santa Cruz Island Boat Fire
by Pete
10:47 PM
Has any of you really buried a survival cache ??
by Roarmeister
08:41 PM
Wordless tutorial III - single strand diamond knot
by TonyE
09/14/19 07:12 PM
Suggest me a fixed blade and a folder
by hikermor
09/14/19 05:58 PM
Solving a math equation
by M_a_x
09/14/19 06:47 AM
Easy way to start a fire
by Chisel
09/14/19 03:34 AM
AG13 Batteries
by Jeanette_Isabelle
09/13/19 06:23 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.