Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by bws48 @ 05/17/18 06:45 PM

Ummmh, sorry if this sounds political, so I am somewhat hesitant to post. Political commentary is not my intent, and I don't think this post is. Rather, this is one where my attorney background and experience kicks in and starts to define issues to b
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: Urban edc - City by Russ @ 05/17/18 02:18 PM

I replaced my D-cell Maglites first with a 2xAA LED flashlights and now a 1xAA or 1xAAA depending on expected need. The 1xAAA LED lights these days have a lot of output. For times when I need a lot of lumens to reach out, I have a couple LED lights
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by hikermor @ 05/17/18 01:39 PM

Apparently he was wearing crampons. With crampons, one employs an ice axe, not some dinky ski poles, even is they do sport a "pick." Even an axe won't do you any good, unless you are capable of self arrest. It all comes down to judgement
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by clearwater @ 05/17/18 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: AKSAROriginally Posted By: clearwaterJust read more about it in the Oregon Live site. The climber fell high up on the mountain above the bergshrund. What he was doing above the bersghrund unroped showed lack of good judgement. W
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: Urban edc - City by hikermor @ 05/17/18 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: katarinI have a question for you urban EDCers. How do you keep the weight down? Many of us backpack and hike, so we are already weight conscious. In general, you value versatility as well as absolute weight - multi-use items
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by hikermor @ 05/17/18 12:39 PM

Thanks, AKSAR, for information specifics on the route and the detailed article you attached. One can only hope that there has been adequate review and soul searching so that future operations will function more smoothly. There could easily have bee
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: Urban edc - City by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 05/17/18 10:56 AM

Originally Posted By: katarinI have a question for you urban EDCers. How do you keep the weight down? I replaced my D-Cell MAG-LITE with a C-Cell MAG-LITE. Jeanette Isabelle
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: Urban edc - City by katarin @ 05/17/18 09:09 AM

I have a question for you urban EDCers. How do you keep the weight down?
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Bear Spray: First Aid if you get sprayed by Bingley @ 05/17/18 06:51 AM

Originally Posted By: clearwaterMaybe we need "smart" bear spray. For the bear that's smarter than the av-er-age bear?
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by haertig @ 05/17/18 06:29 AM

Originally Posted By: RussI doubt theyre looking for $$$... Only ten million of them.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by AKSAR @ 05/17/18 05:33 AM

Originally Posted By: clearwaterJust read more about it in the Oregon Live site. The climber fell high up on the mountain above the bergshrund. What he was doing above the bersghrund unroped showed lack of good judgement. When you solo climb 3rd to 5
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by Russ @ 05/17/18 03:21 AM

Ahh, so it is about money cheapens the argument.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by hikermor @ 05/17/18 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: clearwater Allow rescuers to be sued and the number of volunteer SAR will drop off. It doesn't appear that any SAR volunteers are named in the suit. the plaintiffs appear to be going for the deep governmental pockets. I do
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by clearwater @ 05/17/18 12:21 AM

Just read more about it in the Oregon Live site. The climber fell high up on the mountain above the bergshrund. What he was doing above the bersghrund unroped showed lack of good judgement. When you solo climb 3rd to 5th class, you can't blame the di
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by clearwater @ 05/16/18 11:40 PM

Due to crashes, for a time there was NO helicopter ambulance in Oregon. Only MAST ie military. The ski patrol in on the lower half of the mountain on it's most climbed routes during the summer too and may very well be the first responder of choice at
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by Russ @ 05/16/18 09:39 PM

Yep, there is often something missing in news articles. Also note that the article quotes the lawsuit, which may not be stating actual facts but perceptions. There should be a recording of the 9-1-1 calls. I was involved in military aviation in a
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by hikermor @ 05/16/18 08:59 PM

Understandably, the family is in anguish, and they probably have no experience in the logistics of SAR, especially when helos are involved. A four hour delay is not at all unusual and a ground response would certainly have been significantly longer.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by Russ @ 05/16/18 07:25 PM

Having read the article, it seems there was some confusion as to who was in charge 9-1-1,passing to the Sheriff who told the guy on the mountain to contact ski patrol, then back to 9-1-1 and again to the Sheriff. A lawsuit should determine whether
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by haertig @ 05/16/18 06:57 PM

I am sad for the fallen climber, disgusted by his family.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Bear Spray: First Aid if you get sprayed by clearwater @ 05/16/18 06:41 PM

Maybe we need "smart" bear spray.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Family of fallen Mount Hood climber sues by clearwater @ 05/16/18 06:38 PM

It sounds like the rescuers had him in just four hours! That is an amazing short time to locate and recover someone on a mountain. Aside from the fact that people should be responsible for their own actions, I can't see how this is considered a del
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Seventieth Birthday by Herman30 @ 05/16/18 05:50 PM

Thank you for those nice words, everyone!
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Seventieth Birthday by M_a_x @ 05/16/18 01:44 PM

Well, I hope its not too late: Happy aniversary! Its a pity that you did not get the Haltitunturi. It would have been a really nice gift. Ill have a Koskenkorva Viina on finlands health and yours as well.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Seventieth Birthday by bws48 @ 05/16/18 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Herman30How about celebrating 100 years of independence of my country? https://suomifinland100.fi/?lang=en Congratulations and Happy Birthday! And since the DNA test says my heritage is 0.9% Finnish, am I permitted to ta
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Seventieth Birthday by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 05/16/18 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Herman30How about celebrating 100 years of independence of my country? https://suomifinland100.fi/?lang=en Why didn't you say anything? Happy belated birthday! Jeanette Isabelle
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 240 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shawn, MikeM, xiaochiroy, Ak47Lover, Nari
5249 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Peanut Lighter is unreliable, sorry
by bws48
Today at 08:17 PM
Urban edc - City
by Russ
Today at 06:45 PM
Manrope knot
by TonyE
Today at 11:32 AM
Emergency care clinics
by hikermor
Today at 12:44 AM
E911 and responders finding you.
by CJK
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
new york city survival kit.
by Russ
Yesterday at 10:26 PM
stuff you don't see in EDC...
by pforeman
Yesterday at 09:39 PM
1 man dead another injured in Mt lion attack
by clearwater
Yesterday at 09:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.