Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by Dagny @ 09/18/17 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorQuestion about accidents and fatalities suffered during the evacuation. I haven't seen any figures and my impression is that things went better than the infamous Houston evac. This is certainly good news, if true...Did
Jump to new posts Re: A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by Dagny @ 09/18/17 03:31 PM

Images from the Post article above.
Jump to new posts Re: A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by Dagny @ 09/18/17 03:27 PM

The Washington Post's "Capital Weather Gang" are a fantastic source of information in any major weather event. I was regularly sending their Irma forecasts to my brother. Here's a link to their summary page on Irma, replete with her en
Jump to new posts Drones, Social Media & Disasters by Dagny @ 09/18/17 03:04 PM

Technological advances since Hurricane Andrew (1992) and Katrina (2005) are being lauded for their performance before, during and after Harvey and Irma this month. Hurricane Harvey is being hailed as a seminal event in the utilization of unmanned ae
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: 1950s Canadian Paranurses by Treeseeker @ 09/18/17 03:02 PM

Sounds like she was a tough, smart, independent, and amazing person. She reminds me of someone-my mother who was a Navy WAVE and pilot in WWII. She didn't do SAR, but did do the Berlin Air Lift. She had lots of great stories.
Jump to new posts Re: A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by Dagny @ 09/18/17 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorQuestion about accidents and fatalities suffered during the evacuation. I haven't seen any figures and my impression is that things went better than the infamous Houston evac. This is certainly good news, if true...Did
Jump to new posts Re: And then there was Maria... by Pete @ 09/18/17 02:29 PM

Jeanette - I agree with Russ. It's possible that Florida will be spared a direct hit. But too early to tell. So you might be OK. Someone will get some rain, but maybe states north of Florida. Maria will be a major hurricane starting today - Monday
Jump to new posts Re: And then there was Maria... by Russ @ 09/18/17 12:10 PM

Maria looks to be taking a slight turn north. PR will take a big hit on this path, but Florida may not take a second hit. We'll see.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: 1950s Canadian Paranurses by Tjin @ 09/18/17 06:21 AM

at first glance it looke like she was taking a picture with a phone...
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts 1950s Canadian Paranurses by rafowell @ 09/18/17 06:01 AM

I was unaware of the existence of Canadian Paranurses in SAR in the 1950s until this evening. I found two articles online tonight - this one from March 2017: An Air Force pioneer: Grace MacEachern, para-belle And this other one (about 85% of t
Jump to new posts Re: Irma After-Action Report (Sarasota, FL) by chaosmagnet @ 09/18/17 02:00 AM

Very nice. Thank you for writing this up for us.
Jump to new posts Re: A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by Phaedrus @ 09/18/17 01:45 AM

Wow! Sounds scary but I'm glad they came through it alright.
Jump to new posts Re: A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by hikermor @ 09/18/17 12:32 AM

Question about accidents and fatalities suffered during the evacuation. I haven't seen any figures and my impression is that things went better than the infamous Houston evac. This is certainly good news, if true...Did we learn any lessons about co
Jump to new posts Re: A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by Dagny @ 09/17/17 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: PeteDagny - thanks for posting. I'm sure your list will help folks in FLA - esp. first-timers. They have all had a one-time go-around with Irma. Sorry about the damage to your brother's house. Yes ... more hurricanes on the w
Jump to new posts Re: And then there was Maria... by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/17/17 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac What would you change next time, Jeanette Isabelle? Would you bug-out or make changes to your Bug-in plan? Given that Mom would bug in to batten down the hatches, I would bug in. I don't know what I would do differen
Jump to new posts Re: A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by Pete @ 09/17/17 09:24 PM

Dagny - thanks for posting. I'm sure your list will help folks in FLA - esp. first-timers. They have all had a one-time go-around with Irma. Sorry about the damage to your brother's house. Yes ... more hurricanes on the way. We don't know where t
Jump to new posts Re: Irma After-Action Report (Sarasota, FL) by Dagny @ 09/17/17 09:12 PM

Nice write-up! So interesting to read the perspectives of others and the decision-processes on how to prepare, whether to evacuate, etc. There may be other ETS-ers still without power or internet and the ability to post here. I hope none suffe
Jump to new posts Re: And then there was Maria... by Pete @ 09/17/17 09:05 PM

well ... NO SURPRISE ... 6 pm Eastern on Sunday and Maria is already a genuine hurricane. They were saying - Maria will not but a hurricane until Monday morning. But here we go. Have to say - Boy these storms gather force fast ... these days. I
Jump to new posts Re: Irma After-Action Report (Sarasota, FL) by Pete @ 09/17/17 09:02 PM

great write-up. very well done. thanks for sharing this - very interesting info, with some good practical tips. best wishes for next Hurricane - but I think you will be just fine where you are.
Jump to new posts Irma After-Action Report (Sarasota, FL) by airballrad @ 09/17/17 08:18 PM

In light of Dagny's excellent report on her brother's experience with Irma in Naples, FL I figured I'd share my brief write-up on my experience with Irma a bit further up the coast. Sarasota is about 110 miles North on I-75 from Naples and fared muc
Jump to new posts Re: A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by Dagny @ 09/17/17 07:01 PM

My brother is focusing most of his efforts at this time on fixing his roof (acquired some materials today) but we've also been discussing an after-action report with lessons learned and things-to-do. Based on our talks I've taken a first cut at it.
Jump to new posts Re: A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by Dagny @ 09/17/17 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorThank you Dagny for this gripping report and the excellent information. Glad all are well. Not being concerned with hurricanes where I live, I am translating the experiences into strategies that will apply when I might
Jump to new posts Re: A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by hikermor @ 09/17/17 05:59 PM

Thank you Dagny for this gripping report and the excellent information. Glad all are well. Not being concerned with hurricanes where I live, I am translating the experiences into strategies that will apply when I might face my local hazard - earthq
Jump to new posts Re: A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by Dagny @ 09/17/17 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetThank you for this, Dagny. My pleasure -- especially since they fared so well. I'll be following up in this thread with more information and my brother's continued response -- not least of all, preparing for th
Jump to new posts Re: A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma) by chaosmagnet @ 09/17/17 05:14 PM

Thank you for this, Dagny.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Burncycle), 283 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
WonderW, Adrienne224, lupacexi, mattbpkt, John_Sarnik
5217 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Nuclear Targets-What are they?
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:55 AM
M 8.2 earthquake in Mexico
by Russ
Today at 12:15 AM
And then there was Maria...
by airballrad
Yesterday at 04:29 PM
Every Day Carry in a wallet?
by TeacherRO
Yesterday at 04:17 PM
Hurricane Irma-aftermath
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:39 AM
Drones, Social Media & Disasters
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 02:56 AM
A View from Naples (Hurricane Irma)
by wildman800
09/19/17 05:21 AM
Maxpedition deal at Woot
by Phaedrus
09/19/17 05:14 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.