Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by Russ @ 09/14/18 11:48 PM

I had the opportunity eat at the French mess when the French military hosted us at their base in Djibouti. Regardless, the French mess was like a French restaurant; best dinner I had the entire time I was deployed to the Indian Ocean AO. This w
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by bws48 @ 09/14/18 11:27 PM

Our friends in France are more concerned with what you cook when the power goes out. After all, that's not a reason to eat well! Here are some recipes from our Friends, using simple canned tuna. note, if not comfortable with French accent, use
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by Russ @ 09/14/18 11:10 PM

There are lots of different manufacturers of that butane stove design. We use one made by GasOne (same basic design but stainless steel body) for power outages here and no issues. That said, itís an open flame burner, so set it up and use it with
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by adam2 @ 09/14/18 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: IanWe own and use a 'briefcase cooker': Briefcase Cooker £9-£10 here and Butane refills £1 each. Very easy and very safe to use. Also an additional gas ring in the kitchen when needed, Christmas dinner, big BBQ, cooking
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by haertig @ 09/14/18 05:09 PM

I've got one of the old, standard, Coleman two burner propane stoves. Maybe a 1/2 dozen of those green propane cartridges, and then an adapter hose so I could hook up the two 20lb propane bottles from our propane grill (which we rarely use anymore,
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Fenix HL10 Headlamp/key chain light by dougwalkabout @ 09/14/18 04:28 PM

And there's an LD02 v2.0 now, with UV mode and a really nice stainless steel tip and tail. Argh!
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Fenix HL10 Headlamp/key chain light by dougwalkabout @ 09/14/18 04:17 PM

I see this has a flood-to-spot option. Much better than the LD02 flood (I preferred the LD01). Wonder if it's compatible with the clips from the previous versions? Could be great for hands-free use. Darn you anyway, hikermor, now I need to go shopp
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: Hurricane Florence by hikermor @ 09/14/18 04:15 PM

On the other hand,there were media reports of requests for rescue from people who stayed behind in low lying areas that were immediately flooded. It is a matter of probabilities and there is no way, yet, to be extremely precise about when and where
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by hikermor @ 09/14/18 04:06 PM

I have two Pocket Rockets, and they are the greatest - lightweight and hot! I actually prefer the original model, which I have used for about eighteen years, to the newer version. both get the tea brewing in splendid fashion...
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: More effective than the bear spray? A bong. by dougwalkabout @ 09/14/18 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetBong Fu! Wish I'd said that!
Jump to new posts Re: Hurricane Florence by Teslinhiker @ 09/14/18 04:03 PM

Looks like the winds have mostly subsided to around a max of 80 mph - which can still cause damage. Lots of social media vocalizing that the hurricane did live up to the big hype and are questioning the call to evac as many areas received very littl
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Fenix HL10 Headlamp/key chain light by hikermor @ 09/14/18 03:59 PM

An update on this light after a couple of month's usage. It has a useful feature i did not recognize immediately. In order to turn on the light, it is necessary to press and hold the switch for about a second a mere tap will not turn on the light.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Cooking when the power goes out by Teslinhiker @ 09/14/18 03:58 PM

For camping - and power outages, we have the standard Coleman 2 burner propane stove, a portable / tabletop propane BBQ and also a MSR PocketRocket. With plenty of propane and isopro fuel for these and along with a inverter generator to power the f
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: More effective than the bear spray? A bong. by Teslinhiker @ 09/14/18 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetBong Fu! Post of the year!
Jump to new posts Re: 1 in 4 won't evacuate by UncleGoo @ 09/13/18 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor Not necessarily. I worked with a guy who hunkered down in place for Andrew, and he definitely regretted that decision. Of course, there are many who would never admit to making less than a wonderful, intelligent deci
Jump to new posts Re: 1 in 4 won't evacuate by hikermor @ 09/13/18 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: GoatRider That's just it- the ones who survive will be happy with their decision. The ones who don't... you can't interview. It's called "survivor bias". Not necessarily. I worked with a guy who hunkered down in pl
Jump to new posts Re: 1 in 4 won't evacuate by GoatRider @ 09/13/18 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorCircumstances vary, and these are deeply personal decisions. It would be interesting to do followup interviews with these same people, at least those who will have survived. That's just it- the ones who survive will b
Jump to new posts Re: 1 in 4 won't evacuate by Tjin @ 09/13/18 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: CJKIf we lived on a boat, we too would stay on it for the storm...... IN ANOTHER LOCATION. Why evacuate from the house, when you can evacuate the house it self, right?
Jump to new posts Re: 1 in 4 won't evacuate by CJK @ 09/13/18 06:16 PM

If we lived on a boat, we too would stay on it for the storm...... IN ANOTHER LOCATION.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: On a 4000m high glacier in sneakers and jeans by BruceZed @ 09/13/18 05:43 PM

Sad, True and getting worse and worse
Jump to new posts Re: 1 in 4 won't evacuate by hikermor @ 09/13/18 05:37 PM

Circumstances vary, and these are deeply personal decisions. It would be interesting to do followup interviews with these same people, at least those who will have survived. I probably would be gone by now. Life safety is far more important than a
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: More effective than the bear spray? A bong. by chaosmagnet @ 09/13/18 04:16 PM

Bong Fu!
Jump to new posts Re: 1 in 4 won't evacuate by Russ @ 09/13/18 04:04 PM

Hurricane Florence: One man plans to ride out the storm on his boat What could possibly go wrong???
Jump to new posts Re: Hurricane Florence by hikermor @ 09/13/18 03:19 PM

In hurricanes, most fatalities occur from the flooding and storm surge, not from damage due to high winds. After all, cat 2 is a mere 100 mph, something I have never experienced. I know it is hard to keep my footing in a 55mph "breeze."
Jump to new posts Re: Hurricane Florence by Russ @ 09/13/18 02:33 PM

Just because Florence is weakening, doesnít make it weak... ...Florence Weakens To Cat 2
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
2 registered (M_a_x, Jeanette_Isabelle), 192 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
helium_voices, Nic0612, FeloMedina, Weather9237, EHoward
5261 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Makeshift sanitation
by LesSnyder
04:16 AM
Urbane Preparedness
by LesSnyder
04:03 AM
Defense, bear v handguns 97% success, & by caliber
by hikermor
02:36 AM
Doug Ritter is famous!
by Phaedrus
11:03 PM
Tool of Choice
by hikermor
07:28 PM
Hurricane Florence
by chaosmagnet
11:46 AM
Changing my Location
by Jeanette_Isabelle
09/16/18 10:51 PM
Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite
by brandtb
09/16/18 06:00 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.