Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Offline Maps App Thoughts by AKSAR @ 01/18/21 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: haertig Sorry, this is what I saw when I went to their website. There is a scrollbar there ... I didn't notice it. Sorry if I sounded a bit snarky. Looking at it now, I can see how if you go there for the first time you coul
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Offline: Be ready by dougwalkabout @ 01/18/21 01:45 AM

Good advice! I agree. If you don't have it backed up offline and in more than one physical location, it's not backed up at all. I understand there are ways to save local files on a Chromebook, and have them accessible offline. I have not personally
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: Dash Cams by MartinFocazio @ 01/18/21 01:34 AM

Dash cams used to be illegal in Germany. Not anymore: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germa...s-idUSKCN1IG1LO
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Offline Maps App Thoughts by haertig @ 01/18/21 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: AKSARNot sure why you are having a problem finding costs? If you simply go to the Gaia website then scroll down to the bottom and under "Purchase" click on Indidviduals you will find the costs quite clearly stated.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Offline: Be ready by MartinFocazio @ 01/18/21 01:31 AM

I few years ago, I posted something like this, but I'm posting again. Go turn your Wifi off. Put your phone into "Airplane Mode" Now, what's the phone number for the local Red Cross Chapter? How do you get to the nearest hospital. Whe
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Helping our ETS Community by dougwalkabout @ 01/18/21 12:41 AM

Since we discussed Linux earlier in this thread, I thought I would append something that may interest. I found a beautifully streamlined Linux variant that is faster and lighter than any I've evern seen, while being highly functional and intutitive.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Offline Maps App Thoughts by AKSAR @ 01/17/21 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig I just went to Google Play to look into it. They don't list costs. They do mention Free, Member, and Premium subscription levels, but nothing about costs. -----------snip----------- This kind of behavior just leaves a
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Offline Maps App Thoughts by chaosmagnet @ 01/17/21 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: AKSARI'm not sure what the "UX misstep" problem is that chaosmagnet refers too? As a new user of the app (and Topo Map US), it doesnít do anything or ask for location permissions until you press the ďmy locationĒ butt
The Survival Forum
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetMy offline maps app (MotionX GPS) is still working on my device but does not appear to be available in the App Store any more. Iíll work on finding one thatís current. Thanks! MotionX GPS is the offline map app I use
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Offline Maps App Thoughts by haertig @ 01/17/21 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: AKSARGaia is far and away the best navigation app... I just went to Google Play to look into it. They don't list costs. They do mention Free, Member, and Premium subscription levels, but nothing about costs. I guess everythin
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Offline Maps App Thoughts by AKSAR @ 01/17/21 09:22 PM

Gaia is far and away the best navigation app, in my opinion. If you get a paid subscription there is an incredible variety of maps available. It is even possible to format and load your own custom maps and images. Gaia works quite well internation
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 01/17/21 08:26 PM

Mom also has a percolator. Given that she has an automatic drip, a backup automatic drip, and a percolator, she has her coffee needs covered. Jeanette Isabelle
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by hikermor @ 01/17/21 08:05 PM

Another vote for french press. During power outages, I just use a canister stove to heat water, rather than the microwave. There are many alternative methods to heat water and the resulting product is great
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by chaosmagnet @ 01/17/21 07:36 PM

Our camp stove percolator is essential. Iíve been wanting something more compact to bring to the outdoor range and have settled on an inexpensive isopropane stove and Starbucks Via instant coffee. Also included is my favorite mint tea and some ho
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by M_a_x @ 01/17/21 07:32 PM

Percolators and french presses could be a great alternative. They can be operated even without electric power. I decided to go with a french press some time ago and I never looked back to drip coffee. The coffee is very nice - partly to exclusively u
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 01/17/21 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: BlastElectric, stove-top percolator, or press? Automatic drip Jeanette Isabelle
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by Blast @ 01/17/21 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_IsabelleThis week, after the coffee maker quit, Mom bought two coffee makers. The second is the backup unit. Electric, stove-top percolator, or press? She should also check out cold brewing. -Blast, coffee addict
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Offline Maps App Thoughts by chaosmagnet @ 01/17/21 04:44 PM

Iíll try them out, thank you Tjin!
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Offline Maps App Thoughts by Tjin @ 01/17/21 04:31 PM

For offline eoad navigation; Sygic. For outdoor stuff; Fatmaps
Around The Campfire
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter Which vaccine? Moderna.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Offline Maps App Thoughts by chaosmagnet @ 01/17/21 02:13 PM

The app Iíve been using for many years, MotionX GPS, is no longer available (https://support.motionx.com/). While it still works, I want to find something that is currently supported. Itís worth saying out loud that I strongly believe in knowing ho
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Hiker missing for two weeks in Zion found alive! by chaosmagnet @ 01/17/21 12:44 PM

My offline maps app (MotionX GPS) is still working on my device but does not appear to be available in the App Store any more. Iíll work on finding one thatís current. Recently, I purchased a larger power bank for the purpose of powering my portabl
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
January
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 307 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NiceOldGuy, Bishop68, Tin, Knobco, manimal
5331 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Snowmobiler built a snow cave to survive
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 05:46 AM
Offline: Be ready
by haertig
01/19/21 11:35 PM
Things I have learned recently
by chaosmagnet
01/19/21 04:01 PM
Offline Maps App Thoughts
by rafowell
01/19/21 06:23 AM
Hiker missing for two weeks in Zion found alive!
by dougwalkabout
01/19/21 03:08 AM
Increase in infrastructure attacks
by wildman800
01/18/21 11:34 AM
Dash Cams
by MartinFocazio
01/18/21 01:34 AM
Helping our ETS Community
by dougwalkabout
01/18/21 12:41 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.