Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by airballrad @ Today at 04:46 PM

My family moved to SW Florida a little over two years ago now, so this is our third hurricane season. One thing I have learned is that along the Gulf coast there is a wide range of social and economic conditions that the residents are in: very wealth
Not sure about the US, but shelters here are generally owned by the local council (mostly school gyms) and there are pre-made agreements for emergencies. That part isn't the issue. In some countries, the government will just ban people from going t
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by LesSnyder @ Yesterday at 08:49 PM

a comment... the school I worked at for 28 years was built in the early 1970s, and during the first years of my employment (prior to Hurricane Andrew) was a designated county shelter...it provided relative wind and water protection, large dining capa
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by Montanero @ Yesterday at 08:29 PM

As far as I am aware, sites are surveyed in advance and go through an approval process with the Red Cross to ensure they are suitable and have the necessary space and facilities. I would guess that there are many buildings on a list, and when the ne
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Best use of time, money by quick_joey_small @ Yesterday at 07:54 PM

Actually go and do the activities you want to be able to do, in a safe environment. Camp in your garden. Walk for miles through town. You'll soon find that things which get hardly any attention on survival sites really matter. Try walking in your
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by hikermor @ Yesterday at 07:05 PM

Good question. I can only state that locally the county fairgrounds and buildings are used routinely, so there must be some sort of SOP involved - the typical local problem is some sort of fire, so promptness is critical. There are routines establi
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by AKSAR @ Yesterday at 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorCosts related to evacuation are certainly one reason that evacuation centers are established by the Red Cross and others. You don't have to incur large motel bills. This might be another instance where the speed this s
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: get a cheap laptop by TeacherRO @ Yesterday at 05:45 PM

as an alternative a kindle fire is often as low as $29-39 new. A re-frub chrome book is $100-200
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by hikermor @ Yesterday at 05:27 PM

Costs related to evacuation are certainly one reason that evacuation centers are established by the Red Cross and others. You don't have to incur large motel bills. I had the option of utilizing a local shelter and decided not to, primarily because
That is one factor that deters many people from evacuating. It’s one thing to have a largish expense bill for evacuating if the storm actually rolls thru and destroys your home — money well spent. It’s totally another thing if you leave work to
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by AKSAR @ Yesterday at 03:21 PM

The Price of Fleeing Hurricane Michael: ‘We Are Going to Be Financially Devastated’ Quote:When Hurricane Michael made landfall on Wednesday afternoon in Mexico Beach, Fla., as a Category 4 storm, residents of the Florida Panhandle’s most vulnerable
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by hikermor @ Yesterday at 03:08 PM

For one thing, categorization of hurricanes as cat 5, cat 4, etc. is rather gross. If Michael had measured about two mph faster, it would have been a cat 5. We need decimal gradations, much as climbers accomplished by characterizing climbing diffic
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by AKSAR @ Yesterday at 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: MontaneroOriginally Posted By: IanIt strikes me as a relative outsider that the US needs another metric to describe the power of a hurricane describing the possible future outcome not the current windspeed. Isn't that what I s
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by Montanero @ Yesterday at 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: IanIt strikes me as a relative outsider that the US needs another metric to describe the power of a hurricane describing the possible future outcome not the current windspeed. Isn't that what I said?
It strikes me as a relative outsider that the US needs another metric to describe the power of a hurricane describing the possible future outcome not the current windspeed. Perhaps its current energy impulse measured in Terawatts, although that is a
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: get a cheap laptop by dougwalkabout @ Yesterday at 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: haertigCan you give some examples of where you find old free laptops? Since you asked, here's my rambling stream-of-consciousness reply: The first rule is simple: ask around! Mention it to people in your network, mention it t
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by hikermor @ Yesterday at 02:53 AM

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/news/hurricanes-tropical-storms-us-deaths-surge-flooding Most deaths attributed to hurricanes are due to flooding and storm surge, not the effects of wind... It is simplistic to evaluate solely on the basis of w
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by Montanero @ Yesterday at 02:14 AM

One problem is that people sometimes learn the wrong lessons, or draw the wrong conclusions after a storm. Normalcy bias also leads people to discount the possibility of a bad storm, but patterns of not so bad ones make them expect that and not cons
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by Burncycle @ Yesterday at 01:33 AM

In addition to the short timeframe from tropical storm to impact, keep in mind the news just got finished hyping Florence up significantly only to have it end up petering out near the end, as well as the fire they came under for (apparently) exaggera
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Best use of time, money by TeacherRO @ 10/15/18 06:48 PM

Time is best spent learning & reading.
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by TeacherRO @ 10/15/18 06:47 PM

...A week of food and water is often for after the event...
I suppose lots of folks there live pretty close to the bone. In communities where poverty is rampant (eg some parts of Louisiana) there might not be resources available to everyone who needs it. Certainly this is one reason humans invented civilizati
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by Teslinhiker @ 10/15/18 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: MontaneroTeslin, this is where the community works together and helps those who can't take care of themselves. This is something I do every year and every storm (hurricane, ice, snow, tornadoes). Whether it is a neighborhood,
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by Montanero @ 10/15/18 02:14 AM

Teslin, this is where the community works together and helps those who can't take care of themselves. This is something I do every year and every storm (hurricane, ice, snow, tornadoes). Whether it is a neighborhood, a church, a Scout troop; someon
Jump to new posts Re: Florida residents desperate for food and shelter by Teslinhiker @ 10/15/18 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: MontaneroHaving lived in that area where the hurricane hit the hardest, I also find it difficult to understand any lack of preparation. That includes basic knowledge. They would not have needed to go 200 miles to reach a safer
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 252 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
DaveL, Dale, rac, Boris, helium_voices
5265 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Florida residents desperate for food and shelter
by airballrad
Today at 04:46 PM
Best use of time, money
by quick_joey_small
Yesterday at 07:54 PM
get a cheap laptop
by TeacherRO
Yesterday at 05:45 PM
I'm Not Coming Home
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/14/18 05:49 PM
Winter preps -- Time for the switch over
by dougwalkabout
10/12/18 03:01 AM
Preparing less
by LesSnyder
10/12/18 02:44 AM
Is your EDC fixed or flexible?
by CJK
10/10/18 10:27 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by LesSnyder
10/10/18 02:51 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.