Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Swiss Tech by CJK @ 42 minutes 2 seconds ago

I have and like it too. Good for an 'always' tool. On the key ring and 'always' there. Used mostly for eye glass screws and opening taped closed boxes. Good in a pinch.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Developing Survival Skills in SAR by hikermor @ Yesterday at 12:46 PM

A significant number of folks have the attitude of "it's a National Park, what can go wrong? The kindly, gentle rangers will take care of every thing..." Apparently a fair number of foreign tourists visit DV expressedly at the height of s
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Swiss Tech by quick_joey_small @ Yesterday at 06:16 AM

Regards eye glasses screws. If you ask when you get glasses they'll glue the ones on the glasses in for you and give you some spares. qjs
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Camping is love by TomP @ Yesterday at 04:52 AM

chilly around here
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Developing Survival Skills in SAR by AKSAR @ Yesterday at 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor Actually, aren't there areas in Alaska where it gets surprisingly warm during your long summer days? Fairbanks and the interior sometimes gets into the 90's. I think the record is 95 F. In Southcentral Alaska, where
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: Canada to finally get a national celluar alert sys by dougwalkabout @ Yesterday at 02:27 AM

Yes indeed, I expect that bilingual alerts will be provided in areas where there is a mix of language preferences. Up here, you choose a language preference when you sign up for, well, anything. For universal clarity, though, it may be simpler to re
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Developing Survival Skills in SAR by hikermor @ Yesterday at 12:19 AM

" Heat stroke isn't a big topic in Alaska, but probably is in Arizona." Oddly enough, we really didn't see a lot of hyperthermia in victims. We were usually dealing with fall victims, including those rendered non-ambulatory due to a crunc
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Developing Survival Skills in SAR by hikermor @ Yesterday at 12:10 AM

Good question and a reasonable request, On first aid, someone applying for SAR had first to possess an Advanced First Aid certification or better. We had RNs and MDs in the group as well. Communication was important. Learn the 10 code and the spe
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Developing Survival Skills in SAR by Bingley @ 04/19/18 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorTextbooks?? We got textbooks now?? Back in the day, there was no such thing. It wouldn't have worked anyway, since available knowledge would have been chiseled into blocks of stone - not very portable not easy to edi
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Developing Survival Skills in SAR by AKSAR @ 04/19/18 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: KenKCan you list the specific skills that SAR training provides? I'm guessing a partial list would include: Navigation - map, compass, GPS, coordinates maybe? First aid - kit, what to do, what not to do Clothing - boots, clothi
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Developing Survival Skills in SAR by hikermor @ 04/19/18 11:16 PM

Textbooks?? We got textbooks now?? Back in the day, there was no such thing. It wouldn't have worked anyway, since available knowledge would have been chiseled into blocks of stone - not very portable not easy to edit or revise. Actually, clothi
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Developing Survival Skills in SAR by Bingley @ 04/19/18 07:28 PM

This is the textbook we used in the SAR course. There was more to the course than just the book, but you can get a sense of the covered topics. It was interesting to me that the text had to cover some relatively simple stuff such as clothing: https:
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Developing Survival Skills in SAR by KenK @ 04/19/18 06:58 PM

Can you list the specific skills that SAR training provides? I'm guessing a partial list would include: Navigation - map, compass, GPS, coordinates maybe? First aid - kit, what to do, what not to do Clothing - boots, clothing, jackets, ... Communica
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Hospital Evacuation by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 04/19/18 03:28 PM

I'm working on a storyline for an ongoing futuristic RPG. I'm coming to a type of scene I have not done before, evacuating a hospital after an explosion. I think members of this of this forum can help. The scene takes place in a city ruled by the Il
Being Canadian,would the texting be bilingual? tres dificile et ingenioux!!
Jump to new posts Re: DefCon Checklist by hikermor @ 04/19/18 12:51 PM

I'd vote for NZ - great mountains and lots of beach front property. I'd get used to water circling the drain the wrong way....
Jump to new posts Re: DefCon Checklist by quick_joey_small @ 04/19/18 06:52 AM

The southern hemisphere is the place to be. No nuclear targets and very little air movement across the equator (the flaw in 'On The Beach's plot). Actually if I thought it was likely (but not certain, if it is, it's; "Hello New Zealand!") I
Jump to new posts Re: DefCon Checklist by wildman800 @ 04/19/18 06:00 AM

This checklist is a reflection of the US Military system in regards to generally all wartime situations but tailored specifically with nuclear war. Regional adventures have little affect on the national defcon level. This checklist is tailored for m
Jump to new posts Re: DefCon Checklist by Bingley @ 04/19/18 05:25 AM

I'm a little confused. By "hostilities," are we talking specifically about nuclear missile strikes? Because the US has been a constant state of war for decades, so hostilities started a long time ago to my way of thinking. If by "hos
Jump to new posts Re: DefCon Checklist by chaosmagnet @ 04/19/18 01:22 AM

If I thought we were at DefCon 3 as defined above, Iíd be taking my family and bugging out for whatever part of the world I thought I could reach in time that was least likely to be targeted. Iím too close to a metropolitan area to be comfortable wit
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Developing Survival Skills in SAR by chaosmagnet @ 04/19/18 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermorThere is just something about the atmosphere is a mixed group which leads to productivity and good results - lower testosterone levels??? Quite possibly. I also think that women and men think differently, and thatís a
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Swiss Tech by chaosmagnet @ 04/19/18 01:15 AM

I have one and I like it. Lightweight, inexpensive and way better than nothing. The TSA will positively take it away from you...if they notice it. My experience has been that they donít notice much.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Whole Lot of Shakin" Goin" On by hikermor @ 04/18/18 10:05 PM

http://temblor.net/earthquake-insights/u...arthquake-6848/ a cheery headline summarizing this predictive study graced the front page of the LA Times this morning. Basically, while earth movement is inevitable and unavoidable, it is possible to har
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Swiss Tech by clearwater @ 04/18/18 09:10 PM

I have one in my nightstand for eyeglass repair. The first one broke on the key ring, they sent me a new one. I rubbed it back an forth on a stone and got the edge of the knife sharper. It will open the tape on boxes etc. Like a broken drill bit (i
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Swiss Tech by M_a_x @ 04/18/18 01:51 PM

I had one. After about two years the loop that holds the unit on the keyring broke. Mine came with a decent edge. When using the bottle opener or the phillips screwdriver the serrated part of the blade requires a bit of attention. From other posts yo
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (UncleGoo, Montanero), 205 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ak47Lover, Nari, Begaye, JDanny, Just
5246 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Developing Survival Skills in SAR
by hikermor
Yesterday at 12:46 PM
Swiss Tech
by quick_joey_small
Yesterday at 06:16 AM
Camping is love
by TomP
Yesterday at 04:52 AM
Canada to finally get a national celluar alert sys
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:27 AM
Hospital Evacuation
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/18 03:28 PM
DefCon Checklist
by hikermor
04/19/18 12:51 PM
Whole Lot of Shakin" Goin" On
by hikermor
04/18/18 10:05 PM
Bandaids That Don't Stick (Rant)
by Bingley
04/18/18 05:56 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.