Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Essentials in First aid by chaosmagnet @ Today at 12:44 AM

As a firearms instructor, I try to take a self aid / buddy aid course roughly once a year, based on CoTCCC principles. The goal of such a course should be to keep the victim of trauma alive long enough to get them to definitive care. Iíve been throu
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? by chaosmagnet @ Today at 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: TeacherROI knew guy once who carried two different phones on two different carriers. But he was governor, so it made some sense In the early days of cellphones, my employer absolutely forbade personal calls on the phone they p
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: First Aid Kits and Hot Cars by Montanero @ Today at 12:35 AM

I have seen dash boards melt, but that was overseas. If JI needs to stash a vehicle with kits inside, she will need to choose the parking area to ensure that it does not get direct sunlight for too much of the day. A parking area in the shade, with
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: New gadget to add to your medical kit by CJK @ Today at 12:05 AM

An "expired paramedic".....can you tell me what I have to look forward to? LOL
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: First Aid Kits and Hot Cars by CJK @ Today at 12:01 AM

JI....remove and replace the FAK in the car daily....as a fellow FL it is really the ONLY way. It gets annoying but unless you do what EMS does and AC the interior with a shoreline to keep the contents cool.......removing is the only real way. I fou
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... by hikermor @ Yesterday at 07:33 PM

s 32 oz adequate? It depends entirely upon the environment. In the American desert southwest right now, 32oz is inadequate, unless you end before 9AM and have potable water immediately handy. On the California Channel islands, 32 oz is good for an
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Essentials in First aid by hikermor @ Yesterday at 07:25 PM

Many moons ago, during my senior year in college, I was brusquely made aware of the need for mountain rescue and I volunteered with a newly formed mountain rescue group (Southern Arizona Rescue Association). One requirement was First Aid certificati
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... by bacpacjac @ Yesterday at 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherROI knew on guy who carried a full 1 qt Naglene bottle...in school. I maybe missing your point, and I am a confessed chronic over-packer, but that sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Heck, your guy could be a germaphobe,
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Essentials in First aid by AKSAR @ Yesterday at 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor Let's not talk about tourniquets, or even primarily about FA gadgets, but about the knowledge, skill, background, etc. that one might bring to a first aid situation. These intangibles are at least as important as all t
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by hikermor @ Yesterday at 01:12 PM

I agree about the utility of a handkerchief or something similar, but the most worthwhile days are spent on the water or in wilderness - either on just a personal basis or professional..... And then there are cases like the lady who drove off a cliff
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Ian @ Yesterday at 12:06 PM

I regard 'First Aid' as aid to an injured person to keep them alive until 'Secondary Aid' arrives. i.e. not paper cuts or sprains. A well ironed largish handkerchief and training are all I feel I need. 1. We are never far from secondary aid. No
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Yesterday at 12:59 AM

I may add two more TCC care cards (they take up no room) and replace the QuikClot, 25 g with QuikClot Combat Gauze, Z-Fold; that would be it. After the tug-a-war in my mind, especially over the wound care items, I think I have it. MEDICAL INFORMATIO
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Stuff to pick up at your local thrift store by LCranston @ 07/18/18 08:39 PM

Wool Blankets, about 1 every 2 or 3 months Picnic blankets; Fleece on one side, PVC/Vinyl on other Nalgene Bottles for 99 cents Storage bins for all the stuff I find at goodwill.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: First Aid Kits and Hot Cars by Montanero @ 07/18/18 08:04 PM

No worries, and I could have been a bit clearer in my earlier posts. If you store anything in a hot car that can be affected at all by heat, you must insulate. But that is not all that must be done to ensure that the supplies remain viable.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: First Aid Kits and Hot Cars by AKSAR @ 07/18/18 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Montanero I am very familiar with heat, and cold, and extremes of both, having worked from arctic conditions to some of the hottest places on Earth. I have been on some of the higher mountains on Earth, the lowest spots, the dr
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Customizing Your Medical Kit by Montanero @ 07/18/18 07:37 PM

The CAT is light, effective, not too expensive. It is not a burden to include in your kit.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: First Aid Kits and Hot Cars by Montanero @ 07/18/18 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: AKSAROriginally Posted By: MontaneroWhat does time have to do with it? The insulation moderates the outside temperature reaching the contents, whether hot or cold. You would need to access and check the contents regularly anyw
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Essentials in First aid by Russ @ 07/18/18 07:28 PM

Scan the scene and glove up. Once you go hands on you need to be protecting yourself from bodily fluids and other contaminants. That and it changes your mindset.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Essentials in First aid by Montanero @ 07/18/18 07:24 PM

I second the NOLS courses, and there are others available as well for wilderness first aid, wilderness first responder and EMT. The Red Cross offers good basic classes on CPR and first aid. Many local community colleges offer EMT courses. As Hiker
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Essentials in First aid by Russ @ 07/18/18 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor... So, how does one get this training/ experience and in what proportion should resources be committed? What are other important considerations? FWIW óI recommend the National Outdoor Leadership Schoolís NOLS Wilder
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by TeacherRO @ 07/18/18 07:03 PM

Yes, I carry caffeine pills.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Ridiculous carry - what have you seen? by TeacherRO @ 07/18/18 07:02 PM

I knew guy once who carried two different phones on two different carriers. But he was governor, so it made some sense
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: stuff you don't see in EDC... by TeacherRO @ 07/18/18 07:01 PM

I knew on guy who carried a full 1 qt Naglene bottle...in school.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Why Are We Preparing? by TeacherRO @ 07/18/18 07:00 PM

Also, its kind of fun
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: 10 essentials...for the city? by TeacherRO @ 07/18/18 06:59 PM

Lately its been an water bottle and either a rain jacket or umbrella
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 245 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
martinw, Birdman1776, tskinner, Abe, Flyingbforge
5255 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Essentials in First aid
by chaosmagnet
Today at 12:44 AM
Ridiculous carry - what have you seen?
by chaosmagnet
Today at 12:38 AM
First Aid Kits and Hot Cars
by Montanero
Today at 12:35 AM
New gadget to add to your medical kit
by CJK
Today at 12:05 AM
stuff you don't see in EDC...
by hikermor
Yesterday at 07:33 PM
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by hikermor
Yesterday at 01:12 PM
Stuff to pick up at your local thrift store
by LCranston
07/18/18 08:39 PM
New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism
by TeacherRO
07/18/18 07:03 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.