Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Home prep for renting a room out in the sticks by hikermor @ Today at 03:18 AM

Quite a challenge! How is the cell phone reception along your normally traveled routes? I would be sure your vehicle is equipped with enough supplies to spend a night or so if you ever get bogged down en route. If there is apace, I would consider
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by Byrd_Huntr @ Today at 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetThe classic Ten Essentials were: MapCompassSunglasses and sunscreenExtra clothingHeadlamp or flashlightFirst-aid suppliesFirestarterMatchesKnifeExtra food My urban Ten Essentials are: Smartphone and means to charg
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps by hikermor @ Today at 12:38 AM

My brother lives in northern Minnesota, and his winter preps are very similar to yours. Makes a lot of sense....
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps by Byrd_Huntr @ Today at 12:16 AM

We have spare food and water, as well as multiple battery and white gas lighting options. We have 4-20 lb propane tanks and a case of 1 lb tanks, and two propane heaters. One wood burning fireplace and one natural gas fireplace in the house. Multiple
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Home prep for renting a room out in the sticks by Mark_R @ Yesterday at 11:56 PM

Long time no post. I need some advice. I've had to sublet a room on a cattle ranch, and commute 30 miles into town for work (Long story). The structure is a prefab, with no interior access to the crawl space underneath. My main challenge is I am en
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps by hikermor @ Yesterday at 10:50 PM

Plenty of warm clothing. Fireplace w/modest supply of firewood. Portable solar panels and power banks to keep cell phones and small lights operating. Several small camp stoves and canisters, plus a two burner propane stove and fuel canisters for i
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by chaosmagnet @ Yesterday at 09:58 PM

The classic Ten Essentials were: MapCompassSunglasses and sunscreenExtra clothingHeadlamp or flashlightFirst-aid suppliesFirestarterMatchesKnifeExtra food My urban Ten Essentials are: Smartphone and means to charge sameCash and credit cardsIDAppr
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps by chaosmagnet @ Yesterday at 09:50 PM

At home: Gas-powered generator and stablized gas in storage. Electric space heaters. Appropriate base layers, footwear and outerwear for all family members. Food and water stored. Tape, heavy tarps, and lighter plastic sheets available to improve i
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by Russ @ Yesterday at 09:26 PM

1. Cash, 2. Identification (drivers license, et al) 3. Appropriate attire (which won’t attract undue attention), 4. Comfortable footwear, 5. N95 mask, 6. Small FAK, 7. Water as needed depending on climate, 8. A full tank of gas, 9. Local map (p
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps by CANOEDOGS @ Yesterday at 09:21 PM

I have a very good kerosene heater and 10 gallons of fuel set aside in case of a power outage.if it went until the house started getting cold we would move into a smaller room and keep that warm enough to get by.we have gas heat and I did think about
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps by TeacherRO @ Yesterday at 09:04 PM

Its Winter here in the North. What are your preps for very cold weather and frequent blizzards and super storms?
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts The urban '10 essentials' by TeacherRO @ Yesterday at 09:03 PM

The wilderness 10 essentials are well known; but what are your 10 for city and suburban living?
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: How Natives survived winter without today’s tech by Phaedrus @ Yesterday at 08:17 PM

Looks like a pretty cool event!
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: How Natives survived winter without today’s tech by Montanero @ Yesterday at 07:31 PM

Any older technology (pre-electricity or internal combustion), no matter how far back you go, is worth learning. When it comes to food collection though, it is very regionally specific. It is not wasted effort to learn it.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: How Natives survived winter without today’s tech by hikermor @ Yesterday at 07:23 PM

Th should be an interesting and worthwhile presentation. Native American cultures had developed life ways and strategies to cope with the regional environment that were often, if not usually, superior to those introduced by Europeans. Everything fr
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: How Natives survived winter without today’s tech by chaosmagnet @ Yesterday at 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: UncleGooAdmin, please remove or relocate, as necessary. Doesn’t appear to be any kind of spam. In the appropriate part of the forum. No foul language, personal attacks, or inappropriate politics. Scan complete: it’s clean.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts How Natives survived winter without today’s tech by UncleGoo @ Yesterday at 03:57 PM

https://www.newstimes.com/entertainment/...ut-13535844.php "On Sunday, Jan. 26, Institute for American Indian Studies educator Griffin Kalin will lead a program on how to survive in the Eastern Woodlands without 21-centure (SIC) technology.&quo
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Which kills the most - heat or cold? by Tjin @ 01/15/19 07:59 AM

The prediction in some area's in the world (primarily southwest Asia), is that the wet-bulb temperatures may be reaching a certain % of the population, depending on which model is used, in this century. Wet-bulb temperatures are lethal without active
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Which kills the most - heat or cold? by adam2 @ 01/14/19 05:30 PM

I suspect that globally, that heat kills more people than cold, since there are large populations, many of them very poor, in hot climates. In colder climates such as the UK deaths from cold almost certainly outnumber those from heat. In many cases
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Which kills the most - heat or cold? by hikermor @ 01/14/19 04:10 PM

One thing not mentioned (apparently) is the effect of wind (wind chill). Hypothermia is easily achieved at temps of 50 F with enough wind, while high winds simply moderate the effects of high temperatures. Level of activity is a potent factor as wel
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Which kills the most - heat or cold? by Ren @ 01/14/19 02:09 PM

Aye. Few years ago had 3 army guys died from hyperthermia during Fan Dance, a SAS selection/training exercise. Was a hot day for this area (South Wales), but only 30C/86F and expected time for the exercise is around 4 hours in the Summer.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Which kills the most - heat or cold? by Montanero @ 01/14/19 03:28 AM

It is not necessarily the extremes that kill, but the lack of understanding of how the weather will affect the body's temperature. Hypothermia is more likely (in sheer volume) in temperatures above freezing, because people go out unprepared and impro
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Bugout Practice by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 01/14/19 02:51 AM

I'm taking enough weekender trips that I'm getting an idea of what I need and don't need. As I become more and more experienced, I get a better idea of what to add and what to drop. This trip, for example, I left my pill cutter at home. Since I curr
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Which kills the most - heat or cold? by dougwalkabout @ 01/14/19 01:31 AM

Remarkable! The Lancet's conclusions are completely counter-intuitive to me. Thanks for the link -- I need to look at this more closely.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Which kills the most - heat or cold? by Ren @ 01/14/19 12:39 AM

Lancet on a wider study.. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150520193831.htm Seems the extremes of either aren't the major killers. Probably because at the extremes people modify their behaviour more, take less risks. But when the tempe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
January
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kreese, Nova, jackmiller, DaveL, Dale
5269 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Home prep for renting a room out in the sticks
by hikermor
Today at 03:18 AM
The urban '10 essentials'
by Byrd_Huntr
Today at 12:57 AM
Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps
by hikermor
Today at 12:38 AM
How Natives survived winter without today’s tech
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 08:17 PM
Which kills the most - heat or cold?
by Tjin
01/15/19 07:59 AM
Bugout Practice
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01/14/19 02:51 AM
Canned meat
by chaosmagnet
01/13/19 10:49 PM
UK Brexit
by adam2
01/12/19 04:59 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.