Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Super Shelter by hikermor @ Today at 04:37 PM

I am sure you could almost bake bread in a hogan. They are the original organic structure. No use of petrochemicals or their derivatives, nothing to eventually put in landfills - just local logs and packed soil. They are almost as good as a rock she
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: goTenna = bad idea? by Russ @ Today at 01:49 PM

Chaos, is that a power/bandwidth issue? Or does the equipment need to be specifically authorized for use?
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: goTenna = bad idea? by chaosmagnet @ Today at 01:40 PM

Nomad is absolutely right. Simply put: Both the user and the device must meet FCC regulations in order to transmit legally on a given frequency. Ham radios are not type-accepted to transmit on FRS, GMRS, MURS, Maritime VHF, or any other non-ham f
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Super Shelter by Phaedrus @ Today at 05:29 AM

The best "trick" of the Super Shelter is that given a decent fire you can almost get it warm enough to bake bread, but all of the components will pack up and go back into a pants pocket. Let's see a Hogan do that!
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: goTenna = bad idea? by Nomad @ Today at 04:53 AM

I cant seem to get the quote function to work.. so here is a cut/paste Two questions: First: If you have a GMRS license, is there any reason you can't legally transmit on the GMRS frequencies with a ham transceiver? Outside of an emergency, that i
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Super Shelter by LCranston @ Yesterday at 09:39 PM

The mylar is farthest to the inside, to reflect the heat from the fire back towards you. A tarp or another layer should be next.. The plastic is on the outside as a windproof outside layer. the plastic is also the "window" that will allow
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What should you carry and why? by Mark_R @ Yesterday at 09:26 PM

For short out and back trips, I have a mini-kit that compliments my usual EDC: Navigation module (trail map, compass, spare batteries for EDC light) Warmth module (storm matches, synthetic tinder, space blanket, knife) FAK (usual assortment of scrape
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: "Musher's Pouch" for survival gear by Mark_R @ Yesterday at 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: RussI'm trying to see where color coded nylon pouches are an advantage over clear freezer weight ziploc bags. Color coding has obvious advantages in organizing opaque pouches that need a level of toughness not available in plas
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Super Shelter by hikermor @ Yesterday at 08:32 PM

Watching the video, I thought - "He's just reinvented the Navajo forked stick hogan (or sweat lodge in his smallest version)". Hogans, the traditional Navajo one family dwelling, are snug and warm, if not actually hot, in winter snow condi
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: goTenna = bad idea? by Mark_R @ Yesterday at 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetRadio geek here. I notice radios. I've been known to stop strangers and ask them to let me take a peek at their radios and ask about them. I've never seen a GoTenna in the wild. Since they only work with other GoT
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS by Russ @ Yesterday at 07:14 PM

Boiling coffee increases the acidity a lot. If you don't have a filter, just put the grounds into the pot of water just off a boil -- no longer in the fire. Best water temps are between 195-205ºF. The grounds themselves should mostly settle out as
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS by hikermor @ Yesterday at 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: MontaneroGoing back to my days in Latin America, just throw the grounds in the pot and boil, then dip out the coffee. Takes me back to my first outdoor job, fire crew in Arizona. I worked for a real cowboy who put the coffee
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: goTenna = bad idea? by chaosmagnet @ Yesterday at 05:06 PM

Radio geek here. I notice radios. I've been known to stop strangers and ask them to let me take a peek at their radios and ask about them. I've never seen a GoTenna in the wild. Since they only work with other GoTennas, it's hard for me to believ
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: "Musher's Pouch" for survival gear by hikermor @ Yesterday at 05:05 PM

Sounds like a "tactical toothbrush" Is there a carbide glass breaker on the end? Razor blade strap cutter within the handle? One attractive feature of the pouch is the straps that will allow belt carry or attachment to the pack exterior,
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: "Musher's Pouch" for survival gear by Russ @ Yesterday at 04:42 PM

I'm trying to see where color coded nylon pouches are an advantage over clear freezer weight ziploc bags. Color coding has obvious advantages in organizing opaque pouches that need a level of toughness not available in plastic ziploc bags. OTOH, tr
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS by Montanero @ Yesterday at 04:14 PM

Going back to my days in Latin America, just throw the grounds in the pot and boil, then dip out the coffee. As for straining of water, T-shirts, bandanas, sand (run some water through to clear out the dust) all work. The coffee filter is convenien
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: "Musher's Pouch" for survival gear by hikermor @ Yesterday at 03:19 PM

Get serious, who needs a toothbrush? From time to time, I have trimmed off clothing labels, drilled holes in various items, etc. I generally climb and cave in alpine, rather than expedition style, but going lightweight eventually runs into the law
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS by hikermor @ Yesterday at 03:08 PM

If I am packing a coffee filter, there is a fair probability that it will not only strain out the chunks, but actually make coffee (unless I am packing my French press). Of course,harking back to my cowboy coffee days, who needs a filter....
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS by Montanero @ Yesterday at 12:31 PM

The coffee filter are only intended to get out the large chunks so the chemicals can work more effectively. Large objects provide a place for bacteria and other bad stuff to hide from the chemicals.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: "Musher's Pouch" for survival gear by Tjin @ Yesterday at 08:15 AM

Originally Posted By: DagnyOriginally Posted By: hikermorOriginally Posted By: TjinAs a alpinist; those things look heavy! Funny, I was looking at them and thought they are light! We'll see, I ordered two.... They are light. . Alpinist light
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Super Shelter by dougwalkabout @ Yesterday at 03:25 AM

I hadn't come across these shelters before, at least nothing so elaborate. Some of them could be a base camp for quite some time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbcbGh2YsUk It seems to me that the parachute cloth (untreated) stops drafts and reduce
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: "Musher's Pouch" for survival gear by Dagny @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermorOriginally Posted By: TjinAs a alpinist; those things look heavy! Funny, I was looking at them and thought they are light! We'll see, I ordered two.... They are light. .
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS by CJK @ Yesterday at 01:57 AM

My 2c..... I took some time awhile ago to do a 'test' with filtering water. I have a B.S. in Marine Bio so i didn't expect a coffee filter to actually do much of anything. I was completely right. I used some known 'dirty' water and checked it with t
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Super Shelter by MLavallee @ Yesterday at 01:50 AM

I have a question about super shelters in some pictures I see the parachute appears to be over the plastic and in other pictures the plastic is over the parachute. When the plastic is on top is that for when there might be a chance of rain? When the
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: goTenna = bad idea? by Mark_R @ 01/18/17 10:24 PM

Sorry. This is not a better mousetrap. For what your get vs what you spend, a FRS or GMRS radio will beat it.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
January
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (MLavallee, Bingley), 254 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mtglass, Vampyr_Engel, jayjoe1010, Hilda000, David2Michel
5174 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Super Shelter
by hikermor
04:37 PM
goTenna = bad idea?
by Russ
01:49 PM
What should you carry and why?
by Mark_R
09:26 PM
"Musher's Pouch" for survival gear
by Mark_R
08:35 PM
AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS
by Russ
07:14 PM
Death by Abalone
by Russ
01/18/17 07:08 PM
Cost of rechqrgeable baatteries vs. alkalines
by Russ
01/18/17 02:14 PM
Fake news literacy may be taught in schools
by Mark_R
01/18/17 12:10 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.