Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Today at 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: UncleGooand bug repellent, especially in FL. I have Ben's 30, Natrapel and AfterBite. I think I have it covered. Jeanette Isabelle
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by UncleGoo @ Today at 02:11 AM

Some kind of shelter from the rain--raincoat or tarp--and bug repellent, especially in FL.
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The Commonplace Car Wreck by chaosmagnet @ Yesterday at 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: pforemanI'm just really getting into the whole 'ham' radio idea and I'm looking at APRS or Automatic Packet Reporting System in the next radio. That gives you a good tracking process and can be used beyond just the car if you'v
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by hikermor @ Yesterday at 09:18 PM

One important consideration is the bug out mode. Are you leaving on foot, via vehicle, or some other means. There is a big difference between what you can carry on your back compared to what you can stuff in your car.... I like to start with my ba
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by pforeman @ Yesterday at 08:38 PM

As for "communication" look into the Hurricane, wildfire, earthquake and other disasters there have been and their impact - one of the first things to go in any major event is telephone/internet at the local level and is often the last to c
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by Herman30 @ Yesterday at 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle Wait, you administer last rites to a catfish? Jeanette Isabelle Im not Max but yes. A good smack to the head of the fish with a hard object is the last rites one usually does.
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Yesterday at 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: M_a_xI used mine as a priest for good sized catfish with good effect and no damage to the flashlite. Wait, you administer last rites to a catfish? Jeanette Isabelle
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Yesterday at 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: pforemanYour list is a very good start and I like that you are using it as a 'starting point' as well. I agree with the other comments and would add to it having a "general" lantern type light in addition to the flash
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Yesterday at 07:54 PM

One concern I have is I might forget something or I might not have enough of it. In a bug out situation, going to the store may not be an option. I wonder if I should get kits from minimus.biz for some peace of mind. The following are what I am cons
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The Commonplace Car Wreck by pforeman @ Yesterday at 07:48 PM

I'm just really getting into the whole 'ham' radio idea and I'm looking at APRS or Automatic Packet Reporting System in the next radio. That gives you a good tracking process and can be used beyond just the car if you've got a portable. You can als
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by pforeman @ Yesterday at 07:35 PM

Your list is a very good start and I like that you are using it as a 'starting point' as well. I agree with the other comments and would add to it having a "general" lantern type light in addition to the flashlights. I've got a small stre
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Yesterday at 07:14 PM

The flashlights I'm bringing with me are LED. http://www.maglite.com/shop/flashlights/full-size-flashlights/maglite-2-cell-d-led-flashlight.html http://www.maglite.com/shop/flashlights/full-size-flashlights/maglite-3-cell-d-led-flashlight.html They
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by M_a_x @ Yesterday at 07:05 PM

It could be modernized with LED (if it does not already have it). It also is better in the SD department than the more modern single 18650 cell flashlites. I used mine as a priest for good sized catfish with good effect and no damage to the flashlite
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by Herman30 @ Yesterday at 06:27 PM

A humoristic sidenote: Quote: (you can have my D-Cell MAG-LITE when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands). Would not take it even if you paid me to take it. Totally antiquated old light emitting gizmo.
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Yesterday at 05:47 PM

Cash is one of those things I have but don't think about when writing out a list. A reminder is good. The rest is good too. Regarding fire, I'm wondering if I should buy a PSP. Jeanette Isabelle
Jump to new posts Re: What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by chaosmagnet @ Yesterday at 05:30 PM

Consider adding: CashA way to charge your cellphoneA way to make fire (Id recommend redundancy here)A way to disinfect water (fire and something to boil water in can be enough)At least one blanket per personA broadcast radio receiver (as a ham radio
Jump to new posts What Do I Bring When Bugging Out? by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Yesterday at 05:04 PM

We've discussed first aid. We've discussed tools. Now let's pull it all together. The following are the categories I'm thinking about: First aid (we discussed this in another thread).Basic hand toolsBox cutter and replacement bladesTwo flashlights
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Belt knives by Phaedrus @ 12/07/18 12:01 AM

To me the 90 degree spine issue is kind of "meh". It's nice to strike a firesteel but most of the 'steels I carry have dedicated strikers (my favorite being the GobSpark Armageddon by Firesteel.com). Perhaps the bigger reason for that fea
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Belt knives by chaosmagnet @ 12/06/18 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetI seem to recall that my Mk2 has a 90deg spine. Ill be home tonight and will double check. It does have a 90 degree spine, but as you'll recall the knife has a heavy protective powdercoat, including on the spine.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: the 10 essentials...prep for camping/hiking by dougwalkabout @ 12/06/18 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: clearwater"Bob and Frank, sighting in. the new rifle, back soon." Good chuckle! It could cut the other way, though, indicating a high value target with gun stuff inside.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Belt knives by chaosmagnet @ 12/06/18 04:15 PM

I seem to recall that my Mk2 has a 90deg spine. Ill be home tonight and will double check.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Belt knives by M_a_x @ 12/06/18 03:12 PM

Knives likes that usually have a second bevel grind i. e. the shiny part of the blade has a slightly bigger angle than the coated part. That kind of grind is fairly easy to maintain, if you have some pratice. It also allows to sharpen the knife witho
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Belt knives by hikermor @ 12/06/18 01:51 AM

http://www.equipped.org/devices6.htm See the above for Doug Ritter's views on survival knives; he seems to prefer a flat grind, no surprise, but it doesn't seem to be a big deal.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: the 10 essentials...prep for camping/hiking by clearwater @ 12/06/18 01:37 AM

"And always leave a note. Specify where you are going, how you are equipped and what to do if you don't return on time. A text is good too. <This make you so much easier to find.>" Like the kind my father in law leaves on the dash of
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Belt knives by Russ @ 12/06/18 12:55 AM

For some reason, when I carried a fixed blade it was on the left (weak) side. These days a larger fixed blade will stay in my pack. I have a Dozier Companion that rides in a mostly horizontal kydex sheath just left of my belt buckle very handy wh
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, hikermor), 217 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
eqock88, Nova, jackmiller, DaveL, Dale
5268 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What Do I Bring When Bugging Out?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 02:28 AM
The Commonplace Car Wreck
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 10:12 PM
Belt knives
by Phaedrus
12/07/18 12:01 AM
the 10 essentials...prep for camping/hiking
by dougwalkabout
12/06/18 07:56 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by AKSAR
12/05/18 07:42 PM
Would your BOB have worked for the ca fires?
by hikermor
12/05/18 06:58 PM
Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies...
by TeacherRO
12/05/18 06:36 PM
New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism
by TeacherRO
12/05/18 06:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.