Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Using a lens to start a fire by Russ @ Today at 09:28 PM

A second Bic lighter is a better back-up IMO.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Using a lens to start a fire by unimogbert @ Today at 08:57 PM

I tried it last summer with a small hand lens. Fail. Even at 9,000' on a sunny day it failed. Atmosphere wasn't very clear due to forest fire smoke and I had difficulty holding it steady enough long enough. More practice would be helpful I'm sure
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Using a lens to start a fire by hikermor @ Today at 08:08 PM

Actually, a hand lens for starting fire is not a prominent part of my plans. You need fairly robust sunlight to be successful, and that is not likely to be a situation where fire will be critical. Or to put it another way, when i have really needed
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Using a lens to start a fire by Roarmeister @ Today at 07:51 PM

Something has been troubling me for a while -- a lot of people advocate including a Fresnel or magnifying lens in their fire kit for starting fires. That's great, I wholeheartedly agree especially since the benefit-to-weight ratio is so high. But s
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen by bacpacjac @ Today at 01:41 PM

haha! That brings back memories... I ONCE did a portaging trip through Algonquin Park with a friend who insisted bringing two 24s of canned root beer - in one of those old metal Coleman coolers from the 70s that weigh 82 pounds. As we packed the c
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: "Deserted" by GPS - once again by hikermor @ Yesterday at 05:12 PM

Reminds me of a time doing field work on the Channel islands - we parked the car up high and our plan was to descend 300 feet or so to the coast, work along the coast and then climb back to the vehicle - all cross country, no trails involved. The fo
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: "Deserted" by GPS - once again by KenK @ Yesterday at 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: RussIStaying found is a big deal when you go long, solo. It's why I carry a GPS independent of my car's navigation as well as map and compass. It seems that one of the often forgotten to-do's is to capture a waypoint for the
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: "Deserted" by GPS - once again by Russ @ Yesterday at 02:18 PM

I had never heard it referred to as the Swiss Cheese Model, but it's a good analogy. We all probably know people who dislike other people checking their work. Most pilots I know (and I know more than a few) do not fall into that category. Especi
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: "Deserted" by GPS - once again by unimogbert @ Yesterday at 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkaboutGood story. My takeaway is this: despite two errors (not enough fuel and trusting GPS too much), her other layers of preparations saw her through to a positive finish. As we've seen, it's often a cascade of small
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: "Deserted" by GPS - once again by dougwalkabout @ Yesterday at 12:14 AM

Good story. My takeaway is this: despite two errors (not enough fuel and trusting GPS too much), her other layers of preparations saw her through to a positive finish. As we've seen, it's often a cascade of small errors that add up to tragedy; laye
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen by hikermor @ 03/28/17 05:36 PM

My nomination for the worst carry: We were evacuating a fall victim, drunk as usual as the autopsy later revealed, and as were carrying him out, a party descended along the slope - two guys, each with a case (24 cans) of beer - headed for the party!
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: "Deserted" by GPS - once again by TeacherRO @ 03/28/17 05:04 PM

Yes and prepare for the area you are in. And for the season, climate and your background.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen by TeacherRO @ 03/28/17 05:03 PM

saw a pack with a full sized roll of duct tape...again
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by wildman800 @ 03/28/17 12:39 PM

Upgraded my sewage disposal equipment for the camper. Purchased more emergency rations for the BoB's and GHB's. Finished putting 4 survival themed geocaches together. We will deploy 1 during each of the next 4 camping trips that we make with the ca
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by BruceZed @ 03/27/17 10:57 PM

Repacked by Daypack, getting ready for Spring Hiking and I added some improvements to my Standard shelter.
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Shaken,not stirred by hikermor @ 03/27/17 10:23 PM

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/03/s...5133&et_cid An absorbing article about the possibility of interacting faults leading to bigger earthquakes albeit with the probability of "lesser" magnitude six events. Worth reading.....espe
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Power Outage (caution: Dark Subject) by MedB @ 03/27/17 11:07 AM

We had a transfer switch installed a while back for the same reasons... water, heat, toilets, sump. Cost was hundeds (not thousands) and absolutely the best money we have spent in years. Now any generator including our portable can run the essentia
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: 1913 naked and alone in the woods by Colourful @ 03/26/17 03:23 AM

Many adventures but to few accounts to teach the young generation.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts "Deserted" by GPS - once again by hikermor @ 03/25/17 11:27 PM

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article140235723.html Yet another tale of what happens when you follow (apparently) verbal directions from a GPS. She really made a lot of right decisions once she realized she was in a pickle. But, ne
Jump to new posts Re: Floods in Peru by hikermor @ 03/25/17 01:24 PM

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=3586 This is a comprehensive overview of the Peruvian flooding and damage, together with a comprehensive discussion of the weather phenomena involved. Although Peru is far away in
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Two Blizzard Survival Stories by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 03/24/17 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: WitericticeBecause I'm always afraid such kind of stuff can happen to me i'm anxious/ kind of in depression, but such kind of stories really do make me feel better. What kind of situation are you in to be afraid the same will ha
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Two Blizzard Survival Stories by Witerictice @ 03/24/17 03:57 PM

oh wow. those are some amazing survival stories! Because I'm always afraid such kind of stuff can happen to me i'm anxious/ kind of in depression, but such kind of stories really do make me feel better. never give up!
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: 1913 naked and alone in the woods by hikermor @ 03/24/17 01:42 PM

Solitude is refreshing, and I enjoy it -for about two weeks max. Then it is nice to return to civilization - that's where you find friends and family, cold beer, and the internet.
Jump to new posts Re: National Park Fatalities by hikermor @ 03/24/17 01:39 PM

Having had some experience with 'people vanishing from public lands in the west," color me skeptical with respect to these junk statistics. Not all search efforts have a happy ending. This isn't the movies, but real life. It is certainly true
Jump to new posts Re: National Park Fatalities by Bingley @ 03/24/17 03:38 AM

I read this recently: How 1,600 People Went Missing from Our Public Lands Without a Trace By: Jon Billman Mar 13, 2017 https://www.outsideonline.com/2164446/leave-no-trace That's a whole lot of people missing. I am curious about the conspiracy the
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Russ), 73 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Witerictice, ISafety, trotski, Sergio, Moth
5184 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Using a lens to start a fire
by Russ
Today at 09:28 PM
Ridiculous carry - the things I've seen
by bacpacjac
Today at 01:41 PM
"Deserted" by GPS - once again
by hikermor
Yesterday at 05:12 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by wildman800
03/28/17 12:39 PM
Shaken,not stirred
by hikermor
03/27/17 10:23 PM
Power Outage (caution: Dark Subject)
by MedB
03/27/17 11:07 AM
1913 naked and alone in the woods
by Colourful
03/26/17 03:23 AM
Floods in Peru
by hikermor
03/25/17 01:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.