Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by Roarmeister @ 36 minutes 0 seconds ago

Yes, same stuff - it comes in braided and twisted. The twisted variety can be separated into smaller threads as well. Braided is usually stronger at the same diameters, less likely to fray or unravel at the ends or from partial thickness cuts and a
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: A little humor for all those SAR volunteers by pforeman @ Today at 02:26 PM

Thank You!! That was hysterical - and "true" on a bunch of levels too! Your link made me laugh out loud very first thing this morning and I'll likely smile about it the rest of the day. Paul -
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts A little humor for all those SAR volunteers by williamlatham @ Today at 01:53 PM

Ran across this very funny short on alpine SAR. https://vimeo.com/371393039 Regards, Bill
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Why People Can't Write by hikermor @ Today at 03:36 AM

And then there are those who can write quite well and be accurte and informative to boot; https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Germs-Steel-Fates-Societies/dp/0393317552 Guns, Germs, and Steel, by Jared Diamond has always impressed me as a very fine synthesi
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Why People Can't Write by nursemike @ Today at 01:36 AM

Writing, speech is not always intended to explain or to provide information to the general public. My colleagues in the ER spoke in a patois of slang, abbreviation, acronym and ellipsis designed to communicate efficiently and quickly within the team,
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by Phaedrus @ Yesterday at 03:40 AM

The bank line is a somewhat stiff to be sure. Yeah, if you tie a square knot it's not going anywhere. Paracord is easier to untie (of course that makes it aggravating when using it as shoelaces). To me the ideal is paracord as a ridgelines and ban
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by haertig @ Yesterday at 03:38 AM

I've never bought any of that bank line, but I looked it on on those Amazon links and very well may have to buy some! Just looking at the picture of it, reading about the tar, reading about the stiffness, and letting my imagination run wild - I'm as
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by Phaedrus @ Yesterday at 02:39 AM

I use the braided stuff but the twisted will work as well.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by Phaedrus @ 11/12/19 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: RussI am unfamiliar with the term “bank line”. Is Tarred Nylon Twine considered “bank line? If so, what are the advantages? That's the stuff. It's tarred which gives it a good level of mildew resistant. It's very stron
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by clearwater @ 11/12/19 08:55 PM

For a proper counterbalanced hang to keep food away from bears, one can use close to 100 feet of cord if you use a doubled retrieval cord as well as the hang cord. I like 2mm cord for most things. Smaller (1mm) is harder to tie and untie. 550 cord i
The Survival Forum
I am unfamiliar with the term “bank line”. Is Tarred Nylon Twine considered “bank line? If so, what are the advantages?
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Why People Can't Write by brandtb @ 11/12/19 07:38 PM

Academics excel at this pretentious crap - The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, con
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by Roarmeister @ 11/12/19 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: teacherI've seen kits with 50-100' of paracord. Nothing necessarily wrong with that. It depends on the situation and on the method for carrying it. In my daypack, I carry 25' bright orange paracord (non-mil spec), 75' of #36
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by GoatRider @ 11/12/19 03:31 PM

I think perhaps the reason parachute cord is popular in survival kits is because a lot of survival skills were developed for aviators who bail out, who naturally have a lot of paracord to use.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by teacher @ 11/11/19 11:49 PM

I use micro paracord for the same uses
The Survival Forum
Yeah, cordage good, too much cordage not necessarily bad. A few years back I got a deal on a 1000’ reel of 550 paracord and figured that’s not too much. I made up a couple 100” lengths and quite a few 20” lengths. There’s probably 600’ left on the
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by hikermor @ 11/11/19 01:36 PM

I don't believe there are any Federal aws or regulations that mandate only one kind of cordage in a survival kit. Put in two or three, if you wish. Most any will get the job done.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by Phaedrus @ 11/11/19 03:30 AM

Check out Doug Ritter's original PSK sold through Adventure Medical Kits. Too small for paracord, and while I love the kit (and have four of five of them) it includes fairly generic cordage. I upgraded mine with bank line.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 11/11/19 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: PhaedrusThe premade kits I have seen use incredibly cheap nylon cordage, probably 1/3 the cost of even bankline. Even the better premade kits have very cheap cordage so far as I have seen. If a kit is selling for $10-$20 imagi
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by Phaedrus @ 11/11/19 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_IsabelleOriginally Posted By: PhaedrusMaybe the cost? If it is inexpensive, as you said, then how is the cost the reason bankline is not in survival kits? Jeanette Isabelle The premade kits I have seen use incredibl
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Why People Can't Write by dougwalkabout @ 11/10/19 11:20 PM

Good article. I am fortunate that many people can't write. Technical writing and editing has been my bread and butter for many long years. Writing in the language of the shop floor is a balancing act. On the one hand: if you spoon-feed a highly tec
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Also, that's probably too much paracord... by Nomad @ 11/10/19 11:15 PM

Bankline is the favorite of many military folks that go into remote places with minimal equipment. It is strong, UV and rot resistant. It takes most knots well and easily untied. Although the original was coated with a smelly tar substance, the last
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New Technology by rafowell @ 11/10/19 07:25 PM

Excellent find and summary, Michael2 - thanks!
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New Technology by Michael2 @ 11/10/19 07:04 PM

There's some technical and licensing information at FCCID.io, which appears to be a non-official compilation of wireless device applications filed with the FCC. In the US, the device operates on a shared, secondary basis (on a frequency that happen
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Why People Can't Write by Russ @ 11/10/19 05:49 PM

The Single Reason Why People Can't Write, According to a Harvard Psychologist Quote:...As Richard Feynman, the Nobel prize-winning physicist, once wrote, "If you ever hear yourself saying, 'I think I understand this,' that means you don't.&
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Roarmeister), 243 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AppalachianGirl, BereniceStanaway, aakanksha, 9Line, SkiSoloII
5295 Registered Users
Newest Posts
A little humor for all those SAR volunteers
by pforeman
02:26 PM
Why People Can't Write
by hikermor
03:36 AM
Also, that's probably too much paracord...
by Phaedrus
03:40 AM
New Technology
by rafowell
11/10/19 07:25 PM
How To Remove Cactus Spines
by Doug_Ritter
11/10/19 12:07 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
11/09/19 05:24 AM
Water Treatment
by Ren
11/09/19 12:03 AM
What items have worked in a pinch?
by hikermor
11/08/19 07:08 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.