Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane by hikermor @ Yesterday at 10:40 PM

Whatever their paint scheme, aircraft, especially helos, save money, time, and ultimately lives. Our county supports a modest fleet which supports, law enforcement, fire fighting, and SAR, all with the same paint job.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: SRU-16/P Training Film by hikermor @ Yesterday at 10:31 PM

Come with me to the Dark Side, Luke... I was reacting to the original statement in the training film which stated that the reason for not continuing the search was the coming of night. When I was active, night capable aircraft were a rarity, but gr
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane by dougwalkabout @ Yesterday at 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: TeslinhikerNo matter the politics and bickering over the paint, I am just glad that our very old and way past their useful life, SAR planes are finally being replaced - regardless of colour. Agreed. Long overdue.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: SRU-16/P Training Film by AKSAR @ Yesterday at 09:07 PM

Not trying to start a fight here, but you seem somewhat fixated on darkness as the main issue. I never said SAR teams can't or don't ever work in the dark. I said it depends. Originally Posted By: hikermor But if your team can't operate in darkness,
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane by Teslinhiker @ Yesterday at 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkaboutI recognize the iconic nature of the yellow SAR aircraft, but I think they should have opted for the multi-role colouring. C-130s in full combat paint have been handling SAR in remote areas for a long time. Nobody
Around The Campfire
Around here the civilian rescue helicopters are painted in bright yellow. Traditonally some missions are flown by army helicopters. Some search missions are flown by law enforcmement helicopters and in very rare cases by recon Tornadoes. Those aircra
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Defense, bear v handguns 97% success, & by caliber by Phaedrus @ Yesterday at 05:33 PM

Very scary!
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane by dougwalkabout @ Yesterday at 05:26 PM

I recognize the iconic nature of the yellow SAR aircraft, but I think they should have opted for the multi-role colouring. C-130s in full combat paint have been handling SAR in remote areas for a long time. Nobody complains when they show up -- wit
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Defense, bear v handguns 97% success, & by caliber by GoatMan @ Yesterday at 05:12 PM

Creepy detail of the latest Wyoming griz attack. https://trib.com/lifestyles/recreation/w...4562b06717.html
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane by hikermor @ Yesterday at 04:22 PM

Around here, California and Arizona, aircraft used in SAR are multipurpose, typically in conventional color schemes, with nothing specific denoting SAR. They work quite well.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane by Teslinhiker @ Yesterday at 04:12 PM

Reading through this article, reminds me that over the years (and as recently as yesterday) seeing these iconic, bright yellow SAR planes in our local skies is almost something we take for granted here and I don't think that there are many outdoor
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: Martial Law by chaosmagnet @ Yesterday at 03:39 PM

There were some good answers on this thread but I'd like to point out 1) this isn't a survivalist/TEOTWAWKI forum and 2) some of the responses were not as polite as they should be. Thread locked. chaosmagnet
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: SRU-16/P Training Film by chaosmagnet @ Yesterday at 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorDepends on a lot of variables. ... I got on a bit of a rant because in situations I have faced, dehydration has been a bigger hazard than water borne illness. Of course it is pretty easy to carry means of treating wa
Jump to new posts Re: Martial Law by quick_joey_small @ Yesterday at 03:17 PM

> Merrie Olde England. Can you give any relatively recent examples (say after the Norman Conquest) of the implementation of such extreme measures? No, because it's black helicoptors, FEMA concentration camps, 911 was an inside job...... fantasy.
Jump to new posts Re: Martial Law by quick_joey_small @ Yesterday at 02:10 PM

> If martial law is declared, then government powers are almost > unlimited, with most or all of the normal legal system > suspended. Untrue wikipedia: 'Martial law is the imposition of direct military control of normal civilian func
Jump to new posts Re: Martial Law by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Yesterday at 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorCan you give any relatively recent examples (say after the Norman Conquest) of the implementation of such extreme measures? It might be worthwhile to define the terms in use here. You mean to give an example as to why t
Jump to new posts Re: Martial Law by hikermor @ Yesterday at 01:24 PM

"Also under martial law, TPTB can confiscate firearms, food, fuel, precious metals, real estate, and anything else considered useful. Any last minute or half hearted efforts to conceal supplies are unlikely to succeed and may result in summary
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: SRU-16/P Training Film by hikermor @ Yesterday at 01:15 PM

Agreed that a decision to send a team into darkness (or whatever environment) is very situation and personnel dependent. Not a good idea to send random individuals, not well equipped, on the more challenging situations. The environment in southern
Jump to new posts Re: Martial Law by adam2 @ Yesterday at 10:52 AM

If martial law is declared, then government powers are almost unlimited, with most or all of the normal legal system suspended. Under such conditions, it would in general be best to follow the directions of the government, which will likely be enfor
Jump to new posts Re: Martial Law by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Yesterday at 09:06 AM

I said "martial law," not "martian law." Jeanette Isabelle
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: SRU-16/P Training Film by AKSAR @ Yesterday at 05:34 AM

Hikermor, As I said it is very much terrain and situation dependent. I have only limited experience hiking in the desert SW, but many areas looked like they would be quite reasonable to send a SAR team into at night. And I have no doubt whatsoever
Jump to new posts Re: Martial Law by Herman30 @ Yesterday at 04:30 AM

Probably should consult the legal bureau of the martians about that.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Emergency Alert System Test by bsmith @ Yesterday at 12:41 AM

just wondering how newton's third law will come into play. and then there are those darn unintended consequences.
Jump to new posts Martial Law by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/20/18 10:03 PM

What do we do in the event martial law is declared? More specifically what I want to know is what to do when away from home and martial law is declared? Jeanette Isabelle
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: SRU-16/P Training Film by hikermor @ 09/20/18 06:50 PM

Worthwhile considerations. Our protocol was to begin a search, typically thought to be for a living person, ASAP. On countless occasions, I drove into a setting sun (often on Sunday) at the beginning of a search operation, knowing full well that it
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (KenK), 228 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
helium_voices, Nic0612, FeloMedina, Weather9237, EHoward
5261 Registered Users
Newest Posts
CA military ditches plan to paint new search plane
by hikermor
Yesterday at 10:40 PM
SRU-16/P Training Film
by hikermor
Yesterday at 10:31 PM
Defense, bear v handguns 97% success, & by caliber
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 05:33 PM
Martial Law
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 03:39 PM
Emergency Alert System Test
by bsmith
Yesterday at 12:41 AM
Giving paper matches another look
by Jeanette_Isabelle
09/20/18 05:11 PM
get a cheap laptop
by TeacherRO
09/20/18 04:57 PM
Surviving a Small City
by Jeanette_Isabelle
09/20/18 04:55 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.