Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by Montanero @ Today at 06:33 PM

What works in a rural/wilderness area can still be useful in an urban area, but much that you would carry on a business trip in your suitcase will not help much in the woods. In a larger disaster, you may evacuate, but get stuck on the road out. Or
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by hikermor @ Today at 06:17 PM

It depends completely upon your situation and environment. What works for the typical urban environment will not play well in, say, Death Valley....There you would do well to emulate the Boy Scouts.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by Montanero @ Today at 05:58 PM

If you are ready for the woods, you are ready for someone's house or a hotel. The only things I would add are more clothes and toiletries.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Promising Snake Bite Therapy by hikermor @ Today at 05:53 PM

Yes, indeed, your cognition can degrade due to lack of water. Don't ask me how I know this....
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by chaosmagnet @ Today at 05:49 PM

I'm strongly in favor of phone charger, contact lens solution, and clean clothes. But. Other than the phone charger and possibly the contact lens supplies, these are more comfort items than survival items. That's not wrong, it's just not all.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by hikermor @ Today at 05:46 PM

Totally agree that "Deep Survival" is a very useful source. My practical experience in dealing with various personalities is survival, or near survival, situations came from several years of volunteer mountain Search and Rescue in Arizona
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by TeacherRO @ Today at 05:37 PM

Reading an essay on planning I realized that we might be planning - and packing , for the wrong thing. During most events 99% of the time we'll be 'bugging out' to a hotel, friends house or community shelter. Not a spot in the woods. And if my c
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by chaosmagnet @ Today at 05:21 PM

Montanero is spot on here. I couldn't have said it better, including the book recommendation.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by Montanero @ Today at 12:42 PM

Without getting into the person's reasons for prepping or planning for survival, he does bring up an important, and often not addressed, survival necessity. We all think we understand people, we deal with them every day, right? While the video make
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Promising Snake Bite Therapy by Montanero @ Today at 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Robert_McCall To me it's similar to the oft-quoted "you can live for 3 weeks without food" survival advice. Yes, most people can but the survivor will be so weak long before the 21 day mark that it can affect their a
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Promising Snake Bite Therapy by Ratch @ Today at 03:46 AM

My nephew, an avid hiker and climber, lives in CO and resided in Golden for several years. He says the trails and hills around there, where that fatality occurred, get a lot of foot traffic. He's seen a rattlesnake there once, so I guess they do avoi
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Promising Snake Bite Therapy by Robert_McCall @ Today at 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermorHow many snake bite fatalities do we incur in the US annually? About a dozen, I believe. Opioid abuse is probably a more pressing concern. IMO the low rate of snakebite deaths (mortality) blinds people to the impact o
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: electronic maps by Famdoc @ Today at 01:48 AM

Dang, I was just about to submit that. Gaia works well, does need more memory than my IPhone 5 has. I'm about to upgrade to solve that problem Cool tools is a regular visit for me.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts electronic maps by TeacherRO @ Yesterday at 08:46 PM

free to $30 a year maps for computers, etc From Cool Tools site
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Yesterday at 06:48 PM

I did not get the impression the video is talking about strangers. Jeanette Isabelle
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by Bingley @ Yesterday at 06:30 PM

I mean no disrespect to the OP, but, like hikermor, I find the video to be highly unrealistic for most. If you have really poor judgment, then, yeah, maybe it's worth something. The biggest clue to me that the video might stem from fantasy is that i
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by hikermor @ Yesterday at 04:10 PM

The types that he regards as unworthy of his "group" are some of the types that I tend not to engage or trust in normal times...Why would anyone look to them in an emergency? This seems to be some of the simplistic reasoning that permeates
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Weather radio by Bingley @ Yesterday at 05:10 AM

Originally Posted By: TeacherROthere are also nice weather apps for you phone and computer... Getting weather info from the phone or the computer seems like a supplementary method. In an emergency or disaster, power is likely to go out, cell towers
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by Phaedrus @ Yesterday at 04:23 AM

Good points!
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Weather radio by Bingley @ Yesterday at 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By: RatchRadio jay Allen has a lot of radio reviews, including weather radios. I tend to trust his judgement, given his deep background in the field. https://radiojayallen.com/ Where are his weather radio reviews? A keyword searc
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: ETS Dream by haertig @ Yesterday at 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: AKSAR...the world has "gone off the edge" many times in the past... I remember thinking that in the mid-70's ... when Disco became popular in clubs. What a nightmare!
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Weather radio by Ratch @ Yesterday at 01:48 AM

Radio jay Allen has a lot of radio reviews, including weather radios. I tend to trust his judgement, given his deep background in the field. https://radiojayallen.com/
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: ETS Dream by AKSAR @ Yesterday at 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle I'm an 80s child. I don't want to alter that. Edit: When I was raised helps to define who I am. Most of my upbringing was during a more simpler time before the world went off the edge. One of the things one
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Sound Advice For Survival Situations by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 10/18/17 11:48 PM

I came across this five-minute video on prepping that, I believe, is a must watch. Everything this man says is common sense; the way he puts it can challenge us to think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC6ClxwGs-o&t=3s Jeanette Isabelle
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: ETS Dream by haertig @ 10/18/17 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: M_a_xBesides as mechanical engineer Im used to employ safety factors: estimate age and multiply by 2 or 3 to avoid being too low Same thing for estimating time to complete a project. Take you initial estimate, double it, and m
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, chaosmagnet, M_a_x), 311 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
DIYELECTROAL, rondha, burth, sgt253, PureTech
5222 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism
by Montanero
48 minutes 41 seconds ago
Promising Snake Bite Therapy
by hikermor
Today at 05:53 PM
Sound Advice For Survival Situations
by hikermor
Today at 05:46 PM
electronic maps
by Famdoc
Today at 01:48 AM
Weather radio
by Bingley
Yesterday at 05:10 AM
ETS Dream
by haertig
Yesterday at 03:11 AM
California Burning
by Pete
10/18/17 05:03 AM
Inside a nuclear bunker built from 42 buses
by UTAlumnus
10/18/17 03:04 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.