Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading by Ren @ 33 minutes 40 seconds ago

12 hours later. 4,474 infected, 107 dead, 63 recovered 107/170 is 63%. I'm not convinced it's just slight worse than the flu. CDC estimates 35 million people in the US had the flu, with 34,157 deaths in 2018-2019. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading by Phaedrus @ Today at 08:11 AM

I don't have any secret information but from what I've read and heard from qualified and non-sensationalist sources this virus has a lower mortality rate than most flu strains. Plus is seems that the majority of deaths are in groups that are immunoc
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading by chaosmagnet @ Today at 03:45 AM

Iíve read a more optimistic estimate of the death rate from the Wuhan Coronavirus, as being a bit worse than seasonal flu. Letís hope the more optimistic estimate is accurate.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Burned a vehicle to stay warm by chaosmagnet @ Today at 03:43 AM

I like the second article a lot, but thereís no mention of communications. Iíd likely have good radios in each vehicle as well.
The Survival Forum
Humm Paper, Rock, electronic devises, choose carefully
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Burned a vehicle to stay warm by dougwalkabout @ Today at 02:41 AM

This is a Yukon story. In desperation, stranded travellers torched their vehicle to survive. When it's -50C, strange things are indeed done ... https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yukon-vehicle-fire-rescue-cold-1.5434069 And here are the recommen
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading by dougwalkabout @ Today at 02:28 AM

Hey Roar, I respectfully suggest a highly sceptical view of this. It is most likely an example of lurid conspiracy fiction. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/china-coronavirus-online-chatter-conspiracy-1.5442376
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: The Youngest ETS Member Turns Thirty-Four by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Today at 02:07 AM

I don't think thirty-four is the new anything. Jeanette Isabelle
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: The Youngest ETS Member Turns Thirty-Four by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Today at 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn2Though I beg to differ on the title of "Youngest ETS Member". I'll be 31 in March (I was born 1989), sorry to steal your thunder. It's cool to have a younger member. My youngest sister was born in 89. Jea
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: The Youngest ETS Member Turns Thirty-Four by Phaedrus @ Today at 01:28 AM

I am 50. Some days that feels like the new 40, other days it feels like the new 60. Happy Birthday in any case!
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: The Youngest ETS Member Turns Thirty-Four by Cauldronborn2 @ Today at 12:49 AM

Please accept a belated Happy Birthday Jeanette_Isabelle, I hope you had a good day however you chose to spend it. Though I beg to differ on the title of "Youngest ETS Member". I'll be 31 in March (I was born 1989), sorry to steal your thu
The Survival Forum
Infection map from John Hopkins https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6 81 deaths, 59 recovered. So 140 cases resolved. 81/140 or 57% death rate of those infected. 2,886 reported infected,
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Ortovox Mountaineering Videos by Tjin @ Yesterday at 09:06 PM

Connecting in series is pretty much the norm in the german speaking countries and spreading throughout the rest of Europe. Even the French seem to be converting. The danger of a climbing smacking in the wall is considered a higher risk than a bolt fa
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading by Roarmeister @ Yesterday at 07:11 PM

More research has determined that the coronavirus MAY in fact have been stolen from Canada. The coronavirus arrived at Canadaís NML Winnipeg facility on May 4, 2013 from the Dutch lab. The Canadian lab grew up stocks of the virus and used it to asses
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: The Youngest ETS Member Turns Thirty-Four by Roarmeister @ Yesterday at 06:52 PM

I just turned 60 the other day. 60 is the new 50 or so they tell me. And my Dad just celebrated his 90th.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Ortovox Mountaineering Videos by clearwater @ Yesterday at 05:37 PM

South Tyrol- Things new to me. Threading directly thru pitons, bolt hangers and other "Questionable" anchors to save carabiners. Tying the loop closed with an overhand knot rather than a water knot or double Fishermans. Thought this would
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: App fixed it after it left drivers stranded by chaosmagnet @ Yesterday at 05:18 PM

My basic rule is that if I wasnít planning on driving dirt roads, a turn onto a dirt road is immediately followed by going back to the pavement. Planning is a key word ó there are plenty of great places to get to on dirt roads but at the very least
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: App fixed it after it left drivers stranded by KenK @ Yesterday at 04:00 PM

There is VERY spotty 3G/4G data service where I live now so I don't use a smartphone for navigation (pre-saving maps is a pain). Even when I lived in the Chicago suburbs I didn't want to use my phone's data allocation for navigation. So, I've always
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: App fixed it after it left drivers stranded by hikermor @ Yesterday at 03:13 PM

Should not one get a trifle suspicious when, driving to a major destination in a well developed urban area, you are directed onto an unpaved secondary road? Far less likely to happen with the old fashioned paper maps.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: The Youngest ETS Member Turns Thirty-Four by Janysboy @ Yesterday at 10:29 AM

I turned 70 last month. Sure don't feel 70.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: The Youngest ETS Member Turns Thirty-Four by haertig @ Yesterday at 05:02 AM

I'm 63. Happy Birthday Jeanette!
The Survival Forum
Good catch. Dual connectors/thimbles is a better option. I may look into getting a dedicated tow strap too. More pricey, but as you indicate, for actual towing, that light line would not be as durable and they always fail at the worst possible tim
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts App fixed it after it left drivers stranded by Teslinhiker @ Yesterday at 04:05 AM

Another good reason not to soley rely on tech for navigation. CNN) ó Gone are the days of printing out directions or following physical maps. If youíre trying to go somewhere and need directions, there are plenty of apps to update you while you trav
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: The Youngest ETS Member Turns Thirty-Four by hikermor @ Yesterday at 04:03 AM

I'm 82 (83 next month)
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Snowmobiler finds family of 5 stuck in wilderness by Teslinhiker @ Yesterday at 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetIt certainly should be strong enough, and 50í seems like a good length. I might get that myself. Edited to add: Make sure you have some way to connect it to your vehicle. That synthetic winch rope in the Amazon li
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
January
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 277 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
marco234, GarethDuncan, readyforthefall, Acropolis50, SimonBlack88
5302 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Coronavirus outbreak in China -- now spreading
by Ren
12 minutes 10 seconds ago
Burned a vehicle to stay warm
by chaosmagnet
Today at 03:43 AM
App fixed it after it left drivers stranded
by DaveL
Today at 03:11 AM
The Youngest ETS Member Turns Thirty-Four
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 02:07 AM
Ortovox Mountaineering Videos
by Tjin
Yesterday at 09:06 PM
Snowmobiler finds family of 5 stuck in wilderness
by Russ
Yesterday at 04:53 AM
Positive Attitude in a Longterm Survival Scenario
by Janysboy
01/26/20 01:31 PM
Luck at the thrift store!
by dougwalkabout
01/26/20 01:07 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.