Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Do note that with respirators, the fit is important. As negative pressure mask relies on a proper seal. (man, shave!) Test fitting respirators (disposable or reusable) with a simulant can be handy if you need to use respirators frequently. After te
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Fun Continues After the Emergency! Try P100 by rafowell @ Today at 07:14 AM

> N95 masks are very fashionable and are being distributed > free at several locations, including some Lowe's and Home Depot stores. While rarer and pricier than N95 masks, I went for P100 masks for my family. P100 masks/filters are rated as
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Fun Continues After the Emergency! by Phaedrus @ Today at 05:50 AM

Glad things are slowly returning to normal even if it's not there yet. Sounds like you dodged a bullet.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Happy Hanukkah by LesSnyder @ Today at 04:02 AM

Season's Greetings to all, especially the young men and women serving around the world keeping the rest of us safe... I pray that you will be home safe with your loved ones for next year... a special thought for the linguists, analysts, and operators
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by LesSnyder @ Today at 03:52 AM

I think I'll drain the fuel from the portable inverter generator tomorrow...it has been on stand by, waiting for the first cold snap... I've already changed out the oil, and picked up a set of spark plugs for both sets...
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Happy Hanukkah by wildman800 @ Yesterday at 11:51 PM

Happy Hannukah Jeanette!!!!
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Happy Hanukkah by Russ @ Yesterday at 10:55 PM

Happy Hanukkah Jeanette
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Happy Hanukkah by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Yesterday at 10:27 PM

Happy Hanukkah, Torah fans. This year Mom and I have outdone ourselves on decorating for Hanukkah. Jeanette Isabelle
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by TeacherRO @ Yesterday at 10:20 PM

Updating winter car kits - food, matches blankets, etc. for the cars.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Fun Continues After the Emergency! by hikermor @ Yesterday at 07:57 PM

Nearly a week after the outbreak of the Thomas Fire, we and others are back in our homes, but life is not quite back to normal. Smoke and ash are everywhere. Agencies make a point that much of this is derived from burning structures and is potentia
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: building in a fire zone by hikermor @ Yesterday at 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: clearwaterLike building in a flood plain, many people are building in historic fire zones. The Thomas fire and the fire in Santa Rosa follow paths of previous fires. When deciding where to live, one should check all natural an
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts building in a fire zone by clearwater @ Yesterday at 03:54 PM

Like building in a flood plain, many people are building in historic fire zones. The Thomas fire and the fire in Santa Rosa follow paths of previous fires. When deciding where to live, one should check all natural and historic hazards. Nearby mili
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by M_a_x @ Yesterday at 08:22 AM

I went through my FAKs and replaced items that are about to expire, checked the scissors, replaced adhesives (a check revealed they lost to much of their stickiness), replaced latex gloves with nitril gloves. I recharged my AA rechargeables and perfo
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by bacpacjac @ 12/11/17 09:27 PM

My Grandmother passed away last summer and all us Grandchildren got a little inheritance cheque a couple of weeks. All the bills are up to date, and the rest of the Christmas shopping is budgeted for, so we have budgeted Grandma's money for car repai
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps) by Russ @ 12/11/17 04:20 PM

Looks like we dodged another bullet. The only fire nearby is 80% contained and hasnít grown in acreage since it was 0% contained. There was an initial report of a fire east of here but it didnít make the Cal Fire website. Apparently the local FD h
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Fire Preparedness Article by Russ @ 12/11/17 04:10 PM

I tend to agree. If there is a fire in the neighborhood, I expect the NG to be shut off further upstream. Otherwise, if the local FD is successful, itís a hassle for everyone turning the gas back on.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Fire Preparedness Article by hikermor @ 12/11/17 03:30 PM

http://temblor.net/fire-insights/as-sout...t-protect-5847/ Good article on this subject, which for some reason has been very much on my mind of late. One quibble - turning off the gas as you leave is not recommended locally, primarily because it is
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Getting found: reflectivity & lights by Herman30 @ 12/10/17 08:02 AM

I was thinking about the yellow vest in the context of being seen in a emergency situation in the wild. Usually I wear dark or camo clothing in the bushes. The yellow reflective vest I have folds down to a small package that fits in a pocket. Meaning
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency by M_a_x @ 12/09/17 09:09 PM

As an engineer I would not mix a count of direct fatalities and an estimate, which I would expect to be not very accurate. However the estimate can be useful to indentify potential risks and needs for the aftermath and help to plan for them. Keeping
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency by AKSAR @ 12/09/17 08:07 PM

It is always difficult to get an accurate toll of fatalities from natural disasters. In a hurricane do you only count people who died directly from wind and flooding? Or do you also count those who died because they could not get adequate medical c
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Getting found: reflectivity & lights by hikermor @ 12/09/17 07:18 PM

Quite agree about bright colors when cycling. For me, a yellow or orange jersey is de rigeur when on the road. The same goes for pedestrians, especially at night.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: The Cajun Navy by hikermor @ 12/09/17 05:06 PM

Good post. The points made ring true with my SAR experience. There are times when you should, indeed must, augment the local FD and PD with trained, responsible, and capable civilian volunteers. This ideally can benefit everyone, especially the vi
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps) by hikermor @ 12/09/17 04:47 PM

Gladly. The most important element was that our vehicles were essentially preloaded. We had done this independently, but we both had a sleeping bag, first aid gear, water and snacks permanently stashed in our respective vehicles. Mrs. Hikermor als
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Getting found: reflectivity & lights by Herman30 @ 12/09/17 09:38 AM

A bright yellow reflective vest should do just fine as I see it. I happen to have one and have used it when bicycling on rural roads.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts The Cajun Navy by Bingley @ 12/09/17 09:05 AM

"The Vigilante Future of Disaster Relief" "We'll Deal with the Consequences L...Disaster Relief
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Cowherd35, pecenco, jacklii, DIYELECTROAL, plazacutlery
5226 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Fun Continues After the Emergency!
by Tjin
Happy Hanukkah
by LesSnyder
04:02 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by LesSnyder
03:52 AM
building in a fire zone
by hikermor
04:24 PM
How to Flee the Fire (in ten easy steps)
by Russ
12/11/17 04:20 PM
Fire Preparedness Article
by Russ
12/11/17 04:10 PM
Getting found: reflectivity & lights
by Herman30
12/10/17 08:02 AM
Puerto Rico - Real Large-Scale Emergency
by M_a_x
12/09/17 09:09 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.