Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by TeacherRO @ 01/21/19 07:55 PM

Goop apps might include: - gps/mapping - weather - news/local radio - Facebook ( as an alternate way to inform/ contact friends) - Google translate - Rideshare services (Uber, lyft, etc) - Library - amazon or other grocery delivery services.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Home prep for renting a room out in the sticks by hikermor @ 01/21/19 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: TirecI'd make sure to add a shovel, tow rope, bailing-wire, pliers, jumper cables, a tarp, ropes, face mask/bandana, goggles (that allow glasses, if you need them, like I do). If there's a bad dust storm, you can tie the rope/t
The Survival Forum
I'd make sure to add a shovel, tow rope, bailing-wire, pliers, jumper cables, a tarp, ropes, face mask/bandana, goggles (that allow glasses, if you need them, like I do). If there's a bad dust storm, you can tie the rope/twine to the steering wheel
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: UK Brexit by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor @ 01/20/19 07:38 PM

Some folks I suspect will suffer badly with a hard Brexit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQAdkYmPycM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwM9t8AFVVc
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Yosemite Rescue by hikermor @ 01/20/19 07:21 PM

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article224725620.html As one would expect, SAR is an essential service in our parks....
The Survival Forum
Hmmm. Typo: the 26th is Saturday.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Home prep for renting a room out in the sticks by chaosmagnet @ 01/19/19 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkaboutWords written here are cheap, and all of this is easier said than done. But good neighbours beat 9-1-1 by a country mile. And it adds a powerful layer of resilience to your situation. This is some of the best advi
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Home prep for renting a room out in the sticks by hikermor @ 01/19/19 02:58 PM

a hearty +1 to Dougwalkabout's comments about rural communities. I have fond memories of my time dealing with ranchers in southern Arizona and with Navaho in Canyon de Chelly (NE Ariz). I became very good friends with one couple whose ranch was the
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Home prep for renting a room out in the sticks by albusgrammaticus @ 01/19/19 09:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark_ROriginally Posted By: hikermorQuite a challenge! How is the cell phone reception along your normally traveled routes? Not bad. There are a couple of dead spots in the canyons (no cell or radio), but overall it's reliabl
The Survival Forum
Originally Posted By: hikermorQuite a challenge! How is the cell phone reception along your normally traveled routes? Not bad. There are a couple of dead spots in the canyons (no cell or radio), but overall it's reliable Originally Posted By: hik
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Home prep for renting a room out in the sticks by dougwalkabout @ 01/19/19 04:10 AM

Sounds like you're living through a challenging time. Hang in there. In addition to the advice above, I would add: get to know your neighbours. Make a point of becoming, in a respectful way, a known quantity, a person who can be trusted, and a genui
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by clearwater @ 01/18/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: RussOkay, I really like GPS; I own a few Garmin hiking models and have a Garmin Nuvi in my truck, theyíre great. However, Iíve been disappointed by cellphone GPS apps. Too spoiled by GPS receivers that donít need a cellular co
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by chaosmagnet @ 01/18/19 05:54 PM

There are some good GPS apps that do not require a data connection to operate once maps have been downloaded. I use MotionX GPS HD but that doesnít mean itís the right one for you and your needs. No affiliation.
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by TeacherRO @ 01/18/19 05:35 PM

under cell phone I might add charger & battery, case and earphones ( which are required to make the FM radio work) In nearly all situations I have; - jacket - water - snacks - tools - id, cash, credit/ debit cards - tink First aid kit -bag of
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by Russ @ 01/18/19 05:17 PM

Okay, I really like GPS; I own a few Garmin hiking models and have a Garmin Nuvi in my truck, theyíre great. However, Iíve been disappointed by cellphone GPS apps. Too spoiled by GPS receivers that donít need a cellular connection to function. Als
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: UK Brexit by chaosmagnet @ 01/18/19 12:29 PM

Letís let that be the last of the politics in this thread, please. chaosmagnet
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by Chisel @ 01/18/19 11:18 AM

2 weeks ago, my daughter had some health issues and needed some urgent tests. She was referred to some hospital for those tests but we had to wait for weeks. Some connections and few phone calls later, we found another hospital where tests would be d
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: UK Brexit by Tjin @ 01/18/19 08:43 AM

I don't want to get into politics, but as a Non-UK EU citizen, we are doing everything to get things smoothly done.
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: UK Brexit by brandtb @ 01/18/19 06:09 AM

The EU wants this to be as difficult on the UK as possible as warning to any other EU member which may consider leaving. A general slow down in customs and trade is expected.
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by pforeman @ 01/17/19 10:51 PM

Communications is a key part of being prepared and a necessary element in most situations. From the ability to yell at a fellow hiker to "watch out" to being able to contact family in a disaster. We've come to rely on our tech tools - t
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by Russ @ 01/17/19 10:30 PM

Communications have many levels. A not-so-smart flip-phone is an evolution of the telephone; a smartphone is an evolution of the PC. Iím a child of the Ď50ís & Ď60ís. While I view cellphones as a great option for communications which could b
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by Montanero @ 01/17/19 08:19 PM

As Chaos said, communications can do a lot for you in any situation or environment.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: How Natives survived winter without todayís tech by clearwater @ 01/17/19 08:07 PM

Where I lived, they moved out in the winter.
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by chaosmagnet @ 01/17/19 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermorIn a lot of situations, you may not be sure where you will end up - so, it's cash plus camping gear The camping gear is hard to carry in some situations. I try to carry the things that have the best utility to size/wei
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: The urban '10 essentials' by chaosmagnet @ 01/17/19 07:03 PM

I can do a whole heck of a lot to improve my situation with a smartphone. Some examples: navigation, gathering information, making/changing airline reservations, buying train tickets without a physical credit card, renting hotel rooms (reservation, c
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
January
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (TeacherRO), 269 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kreese, Nova, jackmiller, DaveL, Dale
5269 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The urban '10 essentials'
by TeacherRO
01/21/19 07:55 PM
Home prep for renting a room out in the sticks
by hikermor
01/21/19 12:20 AM
UK Brexit
by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
01/20/19 07:38 PM
Yosemite Rescue
by hikermor
01/20/19 07:21 PM
How Natives survived winter without todayís tech
by UncleGoo
01/19/19 04:39 PM
Extreme cold/ Winter storm preps
by hikermor
01/17/19 12:38 AM
Which kills the most - heat or cold?
by Tjin
01/15/19 07:59 AM
Bugout Practice
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01/14/19 02:51 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.