Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Knife sharpening by Phaedrus @ Today at 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: BingleySome of you must be into knife sharpening, right? I'm thinking about replacing my tired Spyderco sharpening kit. The Ruixin 008 looks like a really good deal, but I wouldn't really know. What kind of problems would a new
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Yikes! You normally just see that in some southern lakes/ponds and just rarely. Terrifying to see it in the municipal water! I feel terrible for the family of the little boy...you just take it for granted that water from the tap is safe. No way
Boil your drinking water?? That should kill all organisms....
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Knife sharpening by chaosmagnet @ Today at 01:39 AM

I find that the knives I use the most do well with a charged strop and actual sharpening perhaps three or four times a year. Iíve been very happy with my Sharpmaker.
Jump to new posts Re: Brain-eating amoeba in Texas city water supplies by chaosmagnet @ Today at 01:37 AM

During some of the Recent Unpleasantness I reflected upon how long we could shelter in place if the water utility failed, and I wasnít happy with the answer.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Soft Carabiner by Blast @ Today at 12:42 AM

Whoa, another great knot system I hadn't seen before. That looks really useful. Thanks for sharing! -Blast
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Knife sharpening by Blast @ Today at 12:40 AM

At this point in my life I'm too busy to devote an afternoon to sharpening a knife. Call me a heretic, but I really love my Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpner* Practice a bit with an old knife to learn the proper timing then after that all your
Brain-eating amoeba in water supply spurs Texas city to declare disaster after boy, 6, dies Sept. 26th, 2020 This happened on the opposite side of Houston from me but that's still too close. There's a lot of economic and supply chain issues in the
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Radiooddity DB25 shortwave transceiver by Blast @ Today at 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: GoatRiderhttps://hamstudy.org/ is a good place to study for your license exam. The exams are based on a fixed pool of questions, and this site has all of the questions with explanations, and you can practice taking tests. Yep,
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Radiooddity DB25 shortwave transceiver by Blast @ Today at 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: TyberI recently became aquatinted with CHIRP, and once that happened fell in love with my Baofangs!! I need to get my Technicians license too but I just run them in the all users bandwidths.. It was nice to see you posting abo
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Radiooddity DB25 shortwave transceiver by GoatRider @ Yesterday at 09:39 PM

https://hamstudy.org/ is a good place to study for your license exam. The exams are based on a fixed pool of questions, and this site has all of the questions with explanations, and you can practice taking tests. The "Find a Session" link c
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Soft Carabiner by TonyE @ Yesterday at 02:52 PM

Soft Carabiner soft carabiner tutorial
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: 'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail by nursemike @ Yesterday at 01:56 PM

Wilderness 2.0: We put cable handrails on difficult terrain to permit passage by folks who lack the skills to make the climb. It means that more folks can enjoy nature. Too much traffic starts to degrade the setting, so we establish a permitting/me
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Mistakes I have seem... by nursemike @ Yesterday at 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnetI train a bunch of active-duty military, vets, and police officers. They tend to wear plate carriers and plates. My choice has been that mobility matters more to me than body armor. Iím not morally against body arm
Jump to new posts Re: More power sources! by nursemike @ Yesterday at 01:38 PM

Lead acid batteries that are not sealed require weekly checking and replenishing with distilled water. Sealed lead acid adsorbed glass mat require no maintenance. The 12v 35ah battery is commonly used in mobility scooters and is readily available. I
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Knife sharpening by nursemike @ Yesterday at 01:15 PM

I have a vast collection of sharpening rocks, including a swell medium arkansas in a cedar box from the Arkansas territorial museum. But modern steels are harder than these old stones, and sharpening became tedious and frustrating. Moved on to abra
Jump to new posts Re: An example of failed prep by nursemike @ Yesterday at 01:04 PM

I have a chest freezer: I put a layer of 1/2 liter water bottles horizontally on the floor of the freezer. Negligible loss of storage space, no interference with the rotational arrangement of stored items, and easily dispensed.
Jump to new posts Re: An example of failed prep by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/29/20 05:56 PM

Years ago, our refrigerator had quit. Before we got the new unit, I successfully kept our food chilled by putting dry ice in the old fridge. Jeanette Isabelle
Jump to new posts Re: An example of failed prep by roberttheiii @ 09/29/20 04:19 PM

I think keeping them frozen prior to the pending emergency is the key. They won't break under the own weight frozen, plus is an emergency happens unexpectedly (as has been known to happen from time to time...) they're ready to roll. You might keep on
Jump to new posts Re: An example of failed prep by CJK @ 09/29/20 03:14 PM

I have frozen the gel in blocks (make a form or use smaller bread pans) and then when frozen, sealed in food saver bags. I double bagged them for puncture resistance.
Jump to new posts Re: More power sources! by dougwalkabout @ 09/29/20 01:56 PM

That's true. But bug or feature? It's easy to trickle charge a lead acid battery from all sorts of sources. Very tolerant, and so very versatile. Lithiums are very fussy about the correct input and charging profile. Increasingly, the charging circui
Jump to new posts Re: An example of failed prep by LesSnyder @ 09/29/20 01:00 PM

I use gallon jugs that previously held tea (not milk) and freeze them solid (provide air space so the water can expand without damaging the plastic)... they sit side by side well, and when melted you have water to drink... for the 2004 hurricane sea
Jump to new posts Re: An example of failed prep by hikermor @ 09/29/20 12:59 PM

I fill Gatorade and energy drink bottles with water and freeze them, If thee poweer goes out, they will keep things cooler, along with not accessing the freezer contents needlessly. In addition, I eventually will have water to drink
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Knife sharpening by NAro @ 09/29/20 12:48 PM

https://lansky.com/index.php/precision-sharpening-kits/ Worth consideration. I've used these for 30 years.
Jump to new posts An example of failed prep by Bingley @ 09/29/20 07:08 AM

I use a food subscription service, and I collected enough of their ice packs to fill a large cooler. I was planning to use them to help keep the refrigerator cooler longer during blackouts and emergencies. When Hurricane Sally approached, I proudly o
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 105 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
brenaline, keril, MarcusPetz, CBlackRaven, TnSweetie
5322 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Knife sharpening
by Phaedrus
03:07 AM
Brain-eating amoeba in Texas city water supplies
by Phaedrus
02:59 AM
Soft Carabiner
by Blast
12:42 AM
Radiooddity DB25 shortwave transceiver
by Blast
12:20 AM
'Into the Wild' bus removed from Alaska trail
by nursemike
01:56 PM
Mistakes I have seem...
by nursemike
01:45 PM
More power sources!
by nursemike
01:38 PM
An example of failed prep
by nursemike
01:04 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.