Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Lawson's SurvivalWire (Cord) by hikermor @ Today at 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjacI'm curious about pulling out just the jute or fishing line without having to pull the entire thing apart. Good question. That is one reason I prefer to use the product in short lengths - zipper pulls, for instance.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Lawson's SurvivalWire (Cord) by bacpacjac @ Today at 01:43 PM

That's pretty cool. We have yet to see any fire-starting cordage in the brick and mortar stores around here, but I'm keeping my eye out. This one looks interesting. I'm curious about pulling out just the jute or fishing line without having to pull th
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: earthquake kit in Japan by bacpacjac @ Today at 01:35 PM

Good GREAT find, WCD! Love the family perspective. Getting the kids involved and making it fun & interesting for them is awesome!~ I like the video description that starts with "We have an earthquake emergency bag in our house, but we don't
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: That knife looks familiar by hikermor @ Yesterday at 07:03 PM

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," they say, so no wonder we have tiger paws. If only DR had consulted with us, we would be brandishing "Scorpion Claw Tactical Survival Wonder Weapons" or some such. I am glad I picke
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Lawson's SurvivalWire (Cord) by hikermor @ Yesterday at 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: clearwaterThat's fun. Would like to see some waxed hemp in there too, the kind that makes a candle/wick that doesn't burn as fast as the jute and will work when wet. Could take out some of the twisted poly. https://www.amazon.c
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Lawson's SurvivalWire (Cord) by clearwater @ Yesterday at 06:19 PM

That's fun. Would like to see some waxed hemp in there too, the kind that makes a candle/wick that doesn't burn as fast as the jute and will work when wet. Could take out some of the twisted poly. https://www.amazon.com/EricX-Light-Organ...Y4R208SBC
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Lawson's SurvivalWire (Cord) by Paulb @ Yesterday at 02:05 PM

Interesting concept: http://lawsonequipment.com/Cordage/SurvivalWire-p1124.html
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: That knife looks familiar by Phaedrus @ Yesterday at 04:59 AM

I have a few of the exact same knife. They were called "Mini Tiger Paws" on eBay. I got three of them for just under $5 shipped from China. Let me hasten to add that I already have five of the real things and the real thing has been disco
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: That knife looks familiar by Montanero @ 02/22/18 11:08 PM

We have seen such things before
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: That knife looks familiar by Ratch @ 02/22/18 11:07 PM

Cheap knock off. I know there are good cheap knives, but probably not that one. Can knife designs be patented?
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: That knife looks familiar by Ren @ 02/22/18 10:30 PM

Yeah, took less than a minute to find it on AliExpress... for less than $3.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts That knife looks familiar by Ratch @ 02/22/18 08:49 PM

Is it just me, or does the knife in this survival kit, sold on amazon, look familiar..to the DR Mk 5? https://www.amazon.com/Survival-Starting...lderness+Supply
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: First Rescue by Drone by Phaedrus @ 02/22/18 08:48 PM

Good points, Adam2!
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Defense, bear v handguns 97% success, & by caliber by clearwater @ 02/22/18 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherROYes but... Bear spray more effective than a handgun... Be aware of exactly the study is saying. Very misleading title and article. They are attempting to blend two different studies measuring two different things.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: First Rescue by Drone by adam2 @ 02/22/18 01:27 PM

There is growing interest in the use of drones by utility companies to patrol overhead lines and look for damage, hot spots and other problems. Also to check railway lines in places liable to landslides, rockfalls, subsidence, and trees coming down.
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: Flooding and chemical spills by adam2 @ 02/22/18 01:01 PM

We should avoid becoming unduly alarmed about the leakage or escape of cancer causing materials during a flood. In the USA and other developed countries, standards are very strict and materials are classified as carcinogens when workers who have han
The Survival Forum
I'm fairly proficient with handguns but in my limited time in big bear country I've gone with bear spray backed up with a 12 ga shotgun loaded with Brenneke slugs. Bears are pretty fast, not a lot of time for rapid follow up shots. I'm more confide
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts earthquake kit in Japan by CANOEDOGS @ 02/20/18 03:56 AM

a family in Japan shows it's emergency kit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w8dUhwKjgk
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Defense, bear v handguns 97% success, & by caliber by dougwalkabout @ 02/20/18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermorFWIW, I would spray first, with perhaps a short (18 1/2")barrel shotgun loaded with some sequence of slugs/OO buckshot if in serious bear country. Glad to know that a 357 seems to be effective, because that is what
Around The Campfire
There’s an old saying that is appropriate -- “Better is the enemy of good enough”. For many applications, the $11 Mora Classic #1 is “good enough”. “Better” costs a lot more money.
The Survival Forum
FWIW, I would spray first, with perhaps a short (18 1/2")barrel shotgun loaded with some sequence of slugs/OO buckshot if in serious bear country. Glad to know that a 357 seems to be effective, because that is what I own. But really, why this
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Defense, bear v handguns 97% success, & by caliber by chaosmagnet @ 02/19/18 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherROYes but... Bear spray more effective than a handgun... Be aware of exactly the study is saying. Yes. I should have phrased that more clearly. I would definitely prefer bear spray with a handgun as a backup.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty? by hikermor @ 02/19/18 10:47 PM

Per Russ's valid point about getting goo inside the folding mechanism, there is also a fixed blade version available, the 101, I believe (named after the highway??) AKSAR is right on target with his 80/20 observation. It applies to lots of stuff.
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Jim Bridwell 1944-2018 by hikermor @ 02/19/18 10:41 PM

Sad...A climbing legend passes.
The Survival Forum
Yes but... Bear spray more effective than a handgun... Be aware of exactly the study is saying.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
February
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28
Who's Online
1 registered (gcarlson), 243 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stephen021, FNORD, Surv3, depha, Ahsan
5239 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lawson's SurvivalWire (Cord)
by hikermor
02:12 PM
earthquake kit in Japan
by bacpacjac
01:35 PM
That knife looks familiar
by hikermor
07:03 PM
First Rescue by Drone
by Phaedrus
02/22/18 08:48 PM
Defense, bear v handguns 97% success, & by caliber
by clearwater
02/22/18 08:04 PM
Flooding and chemical spills
by adam2
02/22/18 01:01 PM
A good knife for bushcraft AND kitchen duty?
by Russ
02/19/18 11:31 PM
Jim Bridwell 1944-2018
by hikermor
02/19/18 10:41 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.