Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
A couple of quick comments regarding Datums and Coordinate Systems. NAD27 is the older datum used in N American. Older USGS topo maps used this datum. NAD83 is the current datum for newly published USGS topo maps. WGS84 is the default datum on
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Memory of Gerry Largay ... Please Invest in a PLB! by TeacherRO @ Yesterday at 11:21 PM

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/general/introducing-inreach-mini-from-garmin/
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Memory of Gerry Largay ... Please Invest in a PLB! by hikermor @ Yesterday at 08:20 PM

With UTM, you have different grids to choose among. there is NAD27, NAD 83, WGS 84 et al. I understand that the Coast Guard and other responders prefer to use Lat lon with a degree, minute, and decimal minute format - less ambiguity that way, sinc
The Survival Forum
The Foretrex units are excellent imo. In lieu of a map, consider adding waypoints which are shown on your TOPO map relevant to whatever area you are hiking. Then if need be you can create something of a map using the waypoints. I really like to ha
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by Roarmeister @ Yesterday at 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherROResearching freeze dried foods. Adding sharps to a kit. Ordering a spare leatherman Oh yeah, the was my other item! Purchased a Surge (larger version of the Wave). I'm started to work out the stiffness in the pliers
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by Roarmeister @ Yesterday at 07:12 PM

Got a new 2GoSystems Trifecta tarp/blanket/bivy. Its to replace my SOL Escape bivy and be a reflector tarp. The SOL version was also made of Tyvek and aluminumized but it was orange on the outside which is too bright for ordinary camping. It was t
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Memory of Gerry Largay ... Please Invest in a PLB! by hikermor @ Yesterday at 07:07 PM

I took an "Intro ti Sailing Course" some years ago and took a sextant sight. I found out I was in the Pacific Ocean alright, but I had the boat on the wrong side of Santa Cruz Island. Not a good result. Boating around in the 1980's we us
The Survival Forum
OT (sort of) ó My first course in navigation had something to do with the movement of stars, planets, the sun & moon, as well as how currents & tides would effect where you think you are or might be going; celestial navigation was a PITA. Th
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Memory of Gerry Largay ... Please Invest in a PLB! by hikermor @ Yesterday at 05:44 PM

You make an excellent point, but a key phrase is "properly used." If you have reasonably adequate equipment and navigation aids, traditional or electronic, you won't get lost, although as Dan'l Boone is reported to have said, you might be
The Survival Forum
The point of all this is properly used, a PLB, GPS or Garmin inReach could have saved Gerry Largay. Pick your tech. A GPS will keep you found. If you get in trouble regardless and your cellphone canít connect, you need something with more reach
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Memory of Gerry Largay ... Please Invest in a PLB! by hikermor @ Yesterday at 03:42 PM

Yup, thanks for catching that. I haven't had enough coffee yet....
The Survival Forum
I think you meant GPS. The GPS receiver in a PLB is only useful once the PLB is activated and the person holding the PLB wonít know the location sent to the SAR system via the PLBís signal. A PLB is useless for navigation.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Memory of Gerry Largay ... Please Invest in a PLB! by hikermor @ Yesterday at 02:52 PM

I am happy to be out of contact when in the hills - that is a major attraction of the outdoors life, although now I habitually carry a cellphone/camera with lots of useful functions. Certainly a PLB has its uses and it can save lives, time, and reso
The Survival Forum
Yep, Iím surprised that people donít understand the difference between a PLB (beacon/one-way) and a satellite communicator (satcomm/two way). Different satellite constellations so different coverage. The Iridium network that the inReach devices use
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Memory of Gerry Largay ... Please Invest in a PLB! by quick_joey_small @ Yesterday at 11:41 AM

A couple of dollar whistle would have sufficed. qjs
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Choose One World To Live In by quick_joey_small @ Yesterday at 06:59 AM

Safe Haven. The idyllic 1920s Irish village on the holodeck in Star Trek Voyager. Especially if I was a crew member. The captain takes a fancy to the pub owner. So she instructs the computer; "make him two inches taller, give him an interest i
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Memory of Gerry Largay ... Please Invest in a PLB! by Herman30 @ Yesterday at 04:08 AM

If one is hiking alone and stops to go off the trail for bathroom business, why not tie a rope to a tree or bush by the trail and take it with you. That way it is easy to find back to the point where you came from. 20-30 meters of paracord does not t
The Survival Forum
I suspect you're referring to the Garmin inReach Mini https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/592606 That is not really a Personal Locator Beacon, but rather a cousin of the Spot device. It uses the Iridium satellite network rather than the COSPAS-SARSAT
The Survival Forum
Do you have a link?
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: the 10 essentials...prep for camping/hiking by TeacherRO @ 08/15/18 10:54 PM

As a frequent hiker, I am amazed at how many people I see with no gear at all. A cell phone I assume, but no water bottle, pack, jacket...
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: What did you do today to prepare? by TeacherRO @ 08/15/18 10:53 PM

Researching freeze dried foods. Adding sharps to a kit. Ordering a spare leatherman
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies... by TeacherRO @ 08/15/18 10:52 PM

Take a look at commercial kits (bug out, first aid, etc.) and see what you can learn from them.
The Survival Forum
Garmin has a new Mini plb out...
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: A SAR Travestry by hikermor @ 08/15/18 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: AKSAROriginally Posted By: chaosmagnet [quote=hikermor] I am skeptical about the need for winch use in this case, but I believe AKSAR has nailed an important consideration - justifying the capability. This is really the crux o
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Choose One World To Live In by LCranston @ 08/15/18 07:23 PM

Harry Potter, as long as I'm not a muggle...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 191 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EHoward, MeganPAST, martinw, Birdman1776, tskinner
5257 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Memory of Gerry Largay ... Please Invest in a PLB!
by AKSAR
11:46 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Roarmeister
07:14 PM
Choose One World To Live In
by quick_joey_small
06:59 AM
the 10 essentials...prep for camping/hiking
by TeacherRO
08/15/18 10:54 PM
Where to start? Welcome beginners and newbies...
by TeacherRO
08/15/18 10:52 PM
A SAR Travestry
by hikermor
08/15/18 08:25 PM
Chef knives
by hikermor
08/14/18 01:24 PM
Bug Out First Aid Kit
by TeacherRO
08/13/18 11:22 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.