Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Natural Disasters & Large-Scale Emergencies
Jump to new posts Re: Makeshift sanitation by LesSnyder @ Today at 04:16 AM

for 9 days in 2004, I relied on direct grilling of refrigerated meat, and when frozen meat started to thaw with skewers of kabobs so there was no clean up needed... a couple of potato/ground beef patty foil pouches were pre assembled for Irma, as wel
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: Urbane Preparedness by LesSnyder @ Today at 04:03 AM

re: coffee.. after Irma, my neighbors, after a quick survey of their yard, were discussing how to get a cup of coffee from their Keurig style machine, or to obtain hot water for their French press... I brought them over a small pot made on my drip M
Jump to new posts Re: Makeshift sanitation by brandtb @ Today at 03:58 AM

"Hand sanitizers are great in this respect, convenient for hand washing. Those that I have used have 62-70% alcohol content and make fine stove fuel/accelerant as well'" According to my hospital hand washing course, they work well and actu
The Survival Forum
"And as far as bear spray give me the gun every time. The author here, Dean has basically proven heavily that contrary to popular belief guns are way more effective then bear spray." From an earlier post - enlighten me please...Who is &quo
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Doug Ritter is famous! by Phaedrus @ Yesterday at 11:03 PM

That's the tool/weapon dichotomy of so many everyday items. At a little league game you'll see a stack of baseball bats and it alarms no one. If a half dozen people are carrying the same objects down the street at 1:00am they're clubs and people pa
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Defense, bear v handguns 97% success, & by caliber by Phaedrus @ Yesterday at 10:53 PM

Hi capacity is great but a more powerful gun would have been better. As much as some like to mythologize the 10mm as being a powerhouse the truth is it's a bit weak compared to the heavy revolvers that knowledgeable folks prefer in bear country. Su
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Doug Ritter is famous! by Doug_Ritter @ Yesterday at 10:47 PM

Certainly not the worst. But, the one with the most reach and potentially causing us the most serious problems. Yes, according to our best information, domestic violence is by far the most common situation where knives are used criminally. Where to
Jump to new posts Re: Makeshift sanitation by Montanero @ Yesterday at 10:36 PM

It may sound condescending, but the Boy Scout handbook is a good reference for this. If you follow those procedures, you will be fine. There are better technologies, better techniques, but these work. I have never had a scout get sick while campin
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Doug Ritter is famous! by hikermor @ Yesterday at 10:29 PM

Reading the subject article "cold" for the first time, I thought you and Knife Rights looked pretty good. I was more worried about your cholesterol level than anything else! Granted that there is that thing about your drawing your knife.
Jump to new posts Makeshift sanitation by hikermor @ Yesterday at 10:10 PM

A recently resurrected thread posed this important question - "How many American people really know how to properly wash dishes clean when camping in the field with no hot water, no soap, no sponges"? First of all, it is very common to hav
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Doug Ritter is famous! by Doug_Ritter @ Yesterday at 09:57 PM

I note that the article was linked here already, but here you go: https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/wapo/ The WaPo reporter never exactly lied, but he also never quite told the whole truth. To some that's an art form that allows them to es
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Tool of Choice by hikermor @ Yesterday at 07:28 PM

Old threads never die, thy just fade away...(and possibly dull with the passage of time).
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Tool of Choice by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Yesterday at 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: AlexOriginally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle I really do not need to know how to sharpen a blade. You've got my point. You take for granted that you can always go and buy a new pair of EMT shears, if the blades of your old one ar
Urban Preparedness
Jump to new posts Re: Urbane Preparedness by Jeanette_Isabelle @ Yesterday at 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: dwesteOkay, you have your basics covered: if push come to shove, yours will be one of the longest, most successful urban survival stories ever told. But what about style? What about those things that make life worthwhile? Wha
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Defense, bear v handguns 97% success, & by caliber by clearwater @ Yesterday at 02:56 PM

The man described later how his choice of projectile was made that day. " I’m in the off season so there’s “man stopper” hollow points in my glock that was sitting in my truck door. I wasn’t hunting! Exercising dogs remember. For all you “know
Jump to new posts Re: Hurricane Florence by chaosmagnet @ Yesterday at 11:46 AM

Thanks for the updates Montanero.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Defense, bear v handguns 97% success, & by caliber by chaosmagnet @ Yesterday at 11:43 AM

In general, modern handgun magazine springs will last for years before having any issues. I’ve been told that storing magazines full will have at most a minimal effect on how long the spring lasts, apparently the number of compression cycles has a m
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Doug Ritter is famous! by Phaedrus @ Yesterday at 03:10 AM

Yeah, that's the first whopper just to set the tone. In the article I linked the author accused Doug of a crime in the second sentence! Could be worse, he could have lead with it. I'm not an expert on knife laws but if you're going to toss accus
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Doug Ritter is famous! by Russ @ Yesterday at 01:34 AM

Knife Rights has an email out that links to a Washington Post article and explains in detail how the interview was arranged and conducted. Many here will probably receive the email. For those who don’t, the webpage at: “Knife Rights Featured on Th
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Changing my Location by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/16/18 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: brandtbOz has its own problems. https://www.hbo.com/oz That sounds like a different place with the same name. Jeanette Isabelle
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Changing my Location by brandtb @ 09/16/18 10:48 PM

Oz has its own problems. https://www.hbo.com/oz
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Doug Ritter is famous! by haertig @ 09/16/18 09:37 PM

On the positive side, the article did make me want to go out and buy another knife, and a ribeye!
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Changing my Location by Jeanette_Isabelle @ 09/16/18 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: brandtbWeather reporters covering Hurricane Florence are urging people in Florida to evacuate. Not because of the hurricane. Just because it's Florida. Florida is a tropical hell. That's why I moved to Emerald City, Oz. Jean
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Doug Ritter is famous! by hikermor @ 09/16/18 08:14 PM

Looking forward to your comments....
Jump to new posts Re: Hurricane Florence by hikermor @ 09/16/18 08:13 PM

Ironic! Record setting floods, and water may be scarce. "Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink...Water, water everywhere and all the boards did shrink..." Glad you and your neighbors are getting through OK. It is calm, about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, hikermor), 52 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
helium_voices, Nic0612, FeloMedina, Weather9237, EHoward
5261 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Makeshift sanitation
by LesSnyder
Today at 04:16 AM
Urbane Preparedness
by LesSnyder
Today at 04:03 AM
Defense, bear v handguns 97% success, & by caliber
by hikermor
Today at 02:36 AM
Doug Ritter is famous!
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 11:03 PM
Tool of Choice
by hikermor
Yesterday at 07:28 PM
Hurricane Florence
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 11:46 AM
Changing my Location
by Jeanette_Isabelle
09/16/18 10:51 PM
Candles for a power outage were actually dynamite
by brandtb
09/16/18 06:00 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.