Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by M_a_x @ 25 minutes 52 seconds ago

Originally Posted By: BingleyMax, upon rereading my post, I realized it came across harsher than I intended. I was just terse and in a hurry. Bingley, I did not take any offense on that. Originally Posted By: Bingley I don't know how any of this wou
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by Bingley @ Today at 02:54 AM

Max, upon rereading my post, I realized it came across harsher than I intended. I was just terse and in a hurry. I'm beginning to think that perhaps my experience is not typical. I interview people as a part of my job, too. In my field some people g
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by Mark_R @ Yesterday at 10:40 PM

You plan for your risks. If you're in the city, a street map and cash is worth a lot more then a ferrocium rod and a tarp. I'm not saying you'll never need a ferrocium rod and a tarp, but you'll be more likely to need cash and a street map .
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by Montanero @ Yesterday at 07:46 PM

AKSAR, as usual you bring up very important and constructive points. How we present is important in communications. When you are learning, it is usually best to study yourself before you study others. If you can't see it in yourself, you are unlik
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by AKSAR @ Yesterday at 06:24 PM

One thing to always keep in mind is that communication and assessment is almost always a two way street. Many (most?) of us have little understanding of how we might be "understood" or perceived by others. Years ago I was in a job where I
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by Montanero @ Yesterday at 05:55 PM

Max, body language and voice stress are very useful. They do require training in order to apply them effectively. There is a common misconception that a certain body movement always means a particular thing, this is not true. Context and the indiv
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by M_a_x @ Yesterday at 04:59 PM

IŽll admit that I did not understand that properly. Learning to read body language and voice will still help you.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by Montanero @ Yesterday at 03:07 PM

Bingley, I will try to answer completely, but there was much training I did which was provided by the government that is not available outside the government. Most of this training is centered on communications, for all purposes. Richard Mullender
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by Bingley @ Yesterday at 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: M_a_xVery often that is a misconception. For those people the team comes first. They are not upright in a sense of standing for doing the right thing even if it is against the current interest of the team. They could be called l
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Re: Advance in Lithium technology?? by unimogbert @ Yesterday at 12:40 PM

Last place I worked new people would be sent to meetings to learn about our product. And the meeting content would be like reading that paper. They use english words but it could take years to get to a point of understanding anything about the topic.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by M_a_x @ Yesterday at 08:59 AM

The training is not so mysterious. In my company most software engineers get some leadership training to qualify them for the role of project management. This includes training for negotiation and conflict managment. In that training you learn to ass
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by Bingley @ Yesterday at 07:18 AM

It's very interesting to hear the experiences of Montanero and hikermor. I wonder whether I can trouble Montanero for a reading list (once again!). I'd also love to hear of the mysterious expensive training they refer to. What sort of assessment do y
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by acropolis5 @ Yesterday at 03:35 AM

I will begin this reply with an admission, I overpack. I also live very urban , but occasionally drive 50-100 miles in my professional life, to city, surburban and even semi rural locations. I can be working late and in all weather conditions. In
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by Russ @ Yesterday at 02:06 AM

I call that an overnight bag — it comes in a small duffel. The GHB is for a specific purpose and that is the BIG southern California earthquake that will hopefully arrive after I no longer reside in the #&?$%@ utopia. However, since the EQ is
Around The Campfire
Jump to new posts Advance in Lithium technology?? by hikermor @ 10/20/17 10:15 PM

http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3...;et_cid=1615272 As a poor, but honest, archaeologist, I don't pretendto fully understand all of the above article (or even the abstract), but I post it here so that others more informed than me (trust me, t
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by hikermor @ 10/20/17 09:41 PM

I always make sure I have shoes in which I can walk a goodly distance if required, even if I have to wear "grown-up (business) attire. Usually a pair of sturdy sneakers...
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by Montanero @ 10/20/17 06:33 PM

What works in a rural/wilderness area can still be useful in an urban area, but much that you would carry on a business trip in your suitcase will not help much in the woods. In a larger disaster, you may evacuate, but get stuck on the road out. Or
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by hikermor @ 10/20/17 06:17 PM

It depends completely upon your situation and environment. What works for the typical urban environment will not play well in, say, Death Valley....There you would do well to emulate the Boy Scouts.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by Montanero @ 10/20/17 05:58 PM

If you are ready for the woods, you are ready for someone's house or a hotel. The only things I would add are more clothes and toiletries.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Promising Snake Bite Therapy by hikermor @ 10/20/17 05:53 PM

Yes, indeed, your cognition can degrade due to lack of water. Don't ask me how I know this....
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by chaosmagnet @ 10/20/17 05:49 PM

I'm strongly in favor of phone charger, contact lens solution, and clean clothes. But. Other than the phone charger and possibly the contact lens supplies, these are more comfort items than survival items. That's not wrong, it's just not all.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by hikermor @ 10/20/17 05:46 PM

Totally agree that "Deep Survival" is a very useful source. My practical experience in dealing with various personalities is survival, or near survival, situations came from several years of volunteer mountain Search and Rescue in Arizona
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism by TeacherRO @ 10/20/17 05:37 PM

Reading an essay on planning I realized that we might be planning - and packing , for the wrong thing. During most events 99% of the time we'll be 'bugging out' to a hotel, friends house or community shelter. Not a spot in the woods. And if my c
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by chaosmagnet @ 10/20/17 05:21 PM

Montanero is spot on here. I couldn't have said it better, including the book recommendation.
The Survival Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Sound Advice For Survival Situations by Montanero @ 10/20/17 12:42 PM

Without getting into the person's reasons for prepping or planning for survival, he does bring up an important, and often not addressed, survival necessity. We all think we understand people, we deal with them every day, right? While the video make
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 211 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
pecenco, jacklii, DIYELECTROAL, plazacutlery, rondha
5225 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Sound Advice For Survival Situations
by M_a_x
15 minutes 25 seconds ago
New bag thinking: BOB GHB realism
by Mark_R
Yesterday at 10:40 PM
Advance in Lithium technology??
by unimogbert
Yesterday at 12:40 PM
Promising Snake Bite Therapy
by hikermor
10/20/17 05:53 PM
electronic maps
by Famdoc
10/20/17 01:48 AM
Weather radio
by Bingley
10/19/17 05:10 AM
ETS Dream
by haertig
10/19/17 03:11 AM
California Burning
by Pete
10/18/17 05:03 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.