Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#99704 - 07/12/07 02:47 PM Re: Natural Tinder when using a Fresnel Lens? [Re: SwampDonkey]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
we used dry leaves as children to start fires with magnifying glasses.

#99726 - 07/12/07 06:08 PM Re: Natural Tinder when using a Fresnel Lens? [Re: jshannon]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
That is very good that you managed to start a fire with a smallish lens. I won't tell you how many hours I have spent trying. And the sun was sometimes as good as it gets here, temps very hot. However, when it's hot around here it's always extremely humid...if that matters, presume it doesn't help. A very large lens (6-8" D) does make it lots easier, but I'd never carry that. I was sure I had started fires with a small lens when I was a kid, but I guess not, probably just charred stuff. The fresnel was way down on my firestarting list (if it's that sunny, another way should be easier is how I thought) but still pretty frustrating I couldn't do it. I'm sure I haven't given up, the next time I'm sitting around in the sun with a brew...

#99751 - 07/12/07 08:33 PM Re: Natural Tinder when using a Fresnel Lens? [Re: jshannon]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
One of the tricks with lenses for fire starting - continue to adjust focusing all the time. Due to simple single lens aberrations there is no exact focus which you can easily see. So just move the lens up an down a little bit, watching the bright spot (preferably in sun glasses). Change the direction when the Sun image starts growing.

2. With thin tinder (paper, leaves...) avoid burning holes. Gradually move the image of the Sun (the focusing point) to the sides of the burnt spot as it's develops.

3. Bright tinder (paper) will work better if you crumple it first. Also you can use a marker or a pen to darken a spot on it.

4. Make sure the lens is always perpendicular to the direction on the Sun. Watch the defocused Sun's image on the tinder or on your palm first. When the lens is oriented properly all of the image's features will be perfectly round and concentric.

5. The shorter focus (more convex) and the bigger diameter lenses works better.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 397 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.