Quote:
Split shot, well, okay, they weigh down the bait and hook so as to keep them from floating too near the surface or drifting too horizontally in the current, right? But how and where should they be attached? Is there some rule of thumb about this? I have seen a few web pages with recommendations about different setups for different types of fish, but I couldn't tell a trout from a salmon without a picture so I sure wouln't be able to pick the right setup in a survival situation.

The further away from the bait the higher the bait will be above the bottom. I’d use a minimum of 12”. If you’re fishing in any kind of current, you’ll need at least 3/16 oz of weight to keep it on the bottom.

Quote:
Snap swivels? They seem to serve two purposes - the snap part allows quick attachment and detachment of pre-made leads with hooks and weights, while the swivel part allows the hook to spin without twisting the line. But again, how should these be used? Weights above or below? Lead length? Should I put them on the line, or on the lead, or both?

The weight needs to be on the opposite side of the swivel of the bait for the swivel to work. I’ve used snell sets from 2’ to 8’. The longer the snell the harder its to set the hook.

Quote:
And how should I set all these things up for storage in a PSK? Should I make a few pre-configured leads with hooks and weights on so I won't have to futz with it in a survival situation, or is it better to put all the pieces into the kit individually and rig them up for specific situations as I need them?

I’d make them on the spot. If you can tie a surgeons loop and the basic fishing knot you can make your own snells.

You’d be surprised how much gear you can store in a film canister. Wrap line on the outside, Hooks, blades, splitshot, swivels, beads and Bobbers on the inside.