Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#99559 - 07/10/07 07:38 PM Re: SIRF for Garmin eTrex? [Re: Russ]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
From experience. The altimeter and compass in the "S" models are virtually worthless. They don't cost much extra it's true, but the compass is a battery sucker. Here's why I don't like them:

The only advantage the S compass has is that it works when you're not moving. Big deal, most people use a GPS when they're moving, and it doesn't take much movement to use the regular "compass". Certainly everybody on this forum will have a magnetic compass anyway, for backup at the least.

The S altimeter. It is very apparent from the Garmin GPS forums that the majority of people have no idea how to use them properly. They seem to miss the point that it's really measuring local barometric pressure. As the weather changes, or as you move location, the barometric pressure can change, and so will your displayed "altitude". I repeat: you need to recalibrate regularly, if the weather or your location changes more than a bit! Most people rarely even calibrate, and if they do, may not have a local pressure to calibrate to (typically people get readings taken at an airport, which is not much use unless you're there).

I suggest reading the Kestrel 4000 manual for a better explanation than what Garmin gives. I think Garmin doesn't really want you to know just how inaccurate that "altimeter" is in most situations for the average person. You're better off with the GPS-determined altitude in most cases, especially if you have SiRF not much excuse not to go by that, you'll have enough sats. It's mindless, and way more accurate for almost everybody. If you have the discipline of a pilot, then maybe the S altimeter is for you.

I got sucked in too. But it will be no S next time. Rant over! smile Just trying to save you a few $$

#99566 - 07/10/07 08:04 PM Re: SIRF for Garmin eTrex? [Re: cfraser]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
You're completely wrong about the digital compass. When you want to see where to go on your GPS map you will usually stop to take a look at you GPS and take a new bearing on a land object (except you're riding some vehicle). The orientation of your GPS map will be lost at once, or you'll have to know exactly from which direction you came to orient it properly. Or to walk at least 10 yards in some straight direction to make a new one (usually much more than 10!). Not convenient in many situations. The backup compass is a backup compass. I doubt you'll be holding them both in your hands when orienting on the trail.

Edited by Alex (07/10/07 08:09 PM)

#99573 - 07/10/07 08:20 PM Re: SIRF for Garmin eTrex? [Re: Alex]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
^ I guess I use my GPS differently. I have not turned on my S compass for at least a couple years. But you are right, it's just my opinion that it's a useless battery-sucking gimmick. Many people would say the whole GPS unit is just that... smile I'm fairly flexible. Also, I suppose many people might like it on the water. I still prefer a "manual" magnetic compass, it is not a backup for me.

#99851 - 07/14/07 01:27 PM Re: SIRF for Garmin eTrex? [Re: Alex]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Alex
Or to walk at least 10 yards in some straight direction to make a new one (usually much more than 10!).
GPS should be quite accurate for small, short, changes of position. Most of the error terms vary relatively slowly. 1 yard is plenty in my experience. For me orientation has always been a non-issue.

I do think it helps to set the GPS to "north up" rather than "track up". With "track up" the displayed map keeps rotating with your direction of travel, and that makes it harder to relate to paper maps and the real world and to keep it related. With "north up", if the unit shows you moving left to right you know you are heading west in the real world.

#99862 - 07/14/07 09:23 PM Re: SIRF for Garmin eTrex? [Re: Brangdon]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
With "north up", if the unit shows you moving left to right you know you are heading west in the real world.

Wouldn't "moving left to right" be heading east? The old Boy Scout saying I learned explained the directions going clockwise from the top: Never Eat Shredded Wheat (North, East, South, West).

#99949 - 07/16/07 11:42 AM Re: SIRF for Garmin eTrex? [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Oops, yeah.

#100002 - 07/17/07 02:44 AM Re: SIRF for Garmin eTrex? [Re: Brangdon]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Originally Posted By: Alex
Or to walk at least 10 yards in some straight direction
GPS should be quite accurate for small, short, changes of position. Most of the error terms vary relatively slowly. 1 yard is plenty in my experience. For me orientation has always been a non-issue.

Lucky you smile I rarely have the GPS location precision better than 5 meters (yards) while hiking in the woods with any of my GPSes. Maybe you're confused with the car navigation devices and software? They have a special algorithm which adjusts your position to the road, so its readings looks stable, continuous, and with very small error. IMHO, that's a plain profanation of reliable navigation principles.

#100075 - 07/17/07 11:48 PM Re: SIRF for Garmin eTrex? [Re: alvacado]
alvacado Offline

Loc: South Texas
Ditto "LUCKY YOU".

In my experience, one (1) yard accuracy is just out of the question.

Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 534 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.